Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Entrepreneur Application - H/S/W/C [#permalink]
Expert Reply
CanadianEntrepreneur wrote:
I think you're exactly right and that this is a story I will need to really focus on and craft. I will also need help from an external party to do this, since it's pretty critical in overcoming my main application weakness.

In brief, I don't think the bank was a "rigid idiot" for what they did. I would never blame anyone else for my own mistakes. I was never passionate about IBD, but I started my career because I needed the money to pay back my student loans and to bankroll a venture of my own. I intended on doing banking for longer than I did (and was even going to go off to a hedge fund), but the truth is that I became very passionate about building the apparel company, to the point where it's pretty much all I would think about and focus on. I was still ranked top bucket in my class for mid-term reviews, but my heart wasn't in the work and the experience made me realize I wasn't going in the career direction that was right for me. It was very hard to admit, since I had worked hard to get my IBD job, but I knew pursuing a start-up was the right decision and I haven't looked back since. As an FYI, the reason the bank found out what I was doing is because I told them. I was trying to seek advice for what I should do, career-wise, with my assigned mentor.

Overall, I take this as a learning experience and know it's part of the unique experiences that has led me to where I am today. I've had a very interesting/non-traditional path, and I certainly wouldn't change that for anything. I hope I can show the MBA admissions team that these experiences (and failures) have made me wiser/stronger and have helped round out my skill set.

What exact sort of help/experience do you have with these sorts of situations and how confident are you that I can salvage it with your help?

Canadian Entrepreneur,

You are showing self-awareness in your posts, and we would certainly help you present what happened in a way that highlights that quality, allows you to accept responsibility for mistakes you may have made as well as pointing out the benefits of your non-traditional path and the lessons you have learned from both the good and the bad on that path. We have worked with applicants who have been laid off, who have had criminal records, and who have had academic issues so we have experience helping candidates with different challenges. As I indicated in my last post, we would need to get into the details.

You can learn about our MBA admissions consulting and application essay editing by clicking on the link. We would be delighted to work with you. Please let me know if you would like to be put in touch with a consultant or if you have additional questions.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Entrepreneur Application - H/S/W/C [#permalink]