Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
MBAPangs wrote:
it seems like there is little or no order in the sequence of interview invites that go out. ie no correlation between submission date and invite release date. however, obvious that we are halfway through the ED interview calls....

This is normal compared to last year. The standard was closer to 4 weeks for interview invites and once the ED deadline hit they get a big backlog. They do rolling admissions so your application will be reviewed in the order it was received. However that doesn't guarantee that interviews/admits/dings will be in the same order. It could be they want to see what more of the applicant pool looks like now that the deadline has passed. If you are in an over-represented career or are borderline they might be holding off to compare you against more applicants with a similar background. This isn't necessarily a bad sign.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
polyaris wrote:
Thanks! Submitted 9/11, invited 9/12, interviewed 9/19, interview report delivered 10/2 (enormous!), invite 10/10

Congrats! Can you share your profile? Invited to interview 1 day after submitting and accepted 1 week after interview went complete. You must have a superstar background or something!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
MBAPangs wrote:
it seems like there is little or no order in the sequence of interview invites that go out. ie no correlation between submission date and invite release date. however, obvious that we are halfway through the ED interview calls....

This is normal compared to last year. The standard was closer to 4 weeks for interview invites and once the ED deadline hit they get a big backlog. They do rolling admissions so your application will be reviewed in the order it was received. However that doesn't guarantee that interviews/admits/dings will be in the same order. It could be they want to see what more of the applicant pool looks like now that the deadline has passed. If you are in an over-represented career or are borderline they might be holding off to compare you against more applicants with a similar background. This isn't necessarily a bad sign.

at the risk of being overly pessimistic - doesnt seem to bode well i suppose. if they need to think thrice before sending an interview invite low chance of conversion to an admit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
mappleby wrote:
Can you share your profile? Invited to interview 1 day after submitting and accepted 1 week after interview went complete.

Nope, I got invite exactly 3 weeks after the interview and a week after the report was delivered.
As for background.
Born in the middle of nowhere, South Ural, unknown tech. university bachelor and master with ~4 GPA, pure IT consulting in Moscow for a year (not a star company), some entrepreneur experience in IT consulting, IT PM then Deputy CIO in a brokerage and asset management company (again not a star but known locally), between PwC offer and promotion to business PM chose later (some can think stupid but it suited better to my career aspirations), quite strong volunteering experience for many years (not so strong though as serving at Peace Corps). So, not a rock star at all. However, I know exactly what I want to do (asset management or IB), more importantly WHY I want doing this, what I already did to achieve my goals and what Columbia can offer me. I think if you are honest with yourself and can show this in your application, this is more important than your background or previous career experience. However, I do believe that numbers such as GMAT score and GPA play more important role for Columbia than for other schools. Applying in ED I can't take offers from other schools to which I applied. LBS and Booth are out anyway. It's difficult to say no to HBS but I feel that this is not my school especially after reading "Ahead of the curve". Wharton is a contender anyway, so here I should weigh more strong academic against being in NY. Honestly, I don't like Phil as a city and NY itself can open even more doors for those who is going to stay in NY. Surprisingly but people in Russia know only Harvard and Oxford, so both Wharton and Columbia are equal from this point of view. But who cares about their opinion - "The minority is always right" (HENRIK IBSEN). I hope it was my small contribution to this online community!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
polyaris wrote:
mappleby wrote:
Can you share your profile? Invited to interview 1 day after submitting and accepted 1 week after interview went complete.

Nope, I got invite exactly 3 weeks after the interview and a week after the report was delivered.
As for background.
Born in the middle of nowhere, South Ural, unknown tech. university bachelor and master with ~4 GPA, pure IT consulting in Moscow for a year (not a star company), some entrepreneur experience in IT consulting, IT PM then Deputy CIO in a brokerage and asset management company (again not a star but known locally), between PwC offer and promotion to business PM chose later (some can think stupid but it suited better to my career aspirations), quite strong volunteering experience for many years (not so strong though as serving at Peace Corps). So, not a rock star at all. However, I know exactly what I want to do (asset management or IB), more importantly WHY I want doing this, what I already did to achieve my goals and what Columbia can offer me. I think if you are honest with yourself and can show this in your application, this is more important than your background or previous career experience. However, I do believe that numbers such as GMAT score and GPA play more important role for Columbia than for other schools. Applying in ED I can't take offers from other schools to which I applied. LBS and Booth are out anyway. It's difficult to say no to HBS but I feel that this is not my school especially after reading "Ahead of the curve". Wharton is a contender anyway, so here I should weigh more strong academic against being in NY. Honestly, I don't like Phil as a city and NY itself can open even more doors for those who is going to stay in NY. Surprisingly but people in Russia know only Harvard and Oxford, so both Wharton and Columbia are equal from this point of view. But who cares about their opinion - "The minority is always right" (HENRIK IBSEN). I hope it was my small contribution to this online community!

Good thought process and analysis. All the best polyaris!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Submitted: August 3
Invited to interview: September 13
Interviewed: September 20
Interview report submitted: September 21

Admitted: October 10
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V45
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Congratulations, RD!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
Send PM
RDRamirez wrote:
Submitted: August 3
Invited to interview: September 13
Interviewed: September 20
Interview report submitted: September 21

Admitted: October 10

Congratulations! That's the date my interview report was submitted, so hopefully I'll hear something soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Ebee wrote:
Given the fact that the J-Term stats do not come up on the first page of this thread, I was hoping all J-Term applicants would post on the J-Term thread started today (10/04)

Hey Ebee, Can you please post the link to the J-Term thread. I cant seem to be able to find it.

I interviewed for J-Term on 8th October. Waiting anxiously for the outcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: CBS '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V46
GPA: 3.79
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mgec wrote:
Ebee wrote:
Given the fact that the J-Term stats do not come up on the first page of this thread, I was hoping all J-Term applicants would post on the J-Term thread started today (10/04)

Hey Ebee, Can you please post the link to the J-Term thread. I cant seem to be able to find it.

I interviewed for J-Term on 8th October. Waiting anxiously for the outcome.

Hey mgec,
The site is not letting me post a link, but the forum is called "Columbia J-term 2013"

I just received an invitation to interview today, submitted 9/27

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Has anyone that submitted for ED on Oct. 3rd gotten any status updates (other than the "Submitted" designation)?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dougdoug wrote:
Has anyone that submitted for ED on Oct. 3rd gotten any status updates (other than the "Submitted" designation)?

I submitted on 2nd.
Where do you see the status? I logged into the application portal but don't see any specific status designation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GRE 1: Q49 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
icaniwill wrote:
dougdoug wrote:

I submitted on 2nd.
Where do you see the status? I logged into the application portal but don't see any specific status designation.

When you successfully log in, they bring you to your application management page. That table has a "Status" column.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ichinichi wrote:
icaniwill wrote:
dougdoug wrote:

I submitted on 2nd.

When you successfully log in, they bring you to your application management page. That table has a "Status" column.

After I login, in the application check list table, under the status column I see a series of "Received" and a green check mark next to them. What am I missing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
I applied just a few hours before the ED on 3 October... Does anyone know what is the response time to hear on the status? I am already worried sick!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
vinitasithapathy wrote:
I applied just a few hours before the ED on 3 October... Does anyone know what is the response time to hear on the status? I am already worried sick!

You are most likely not going to hear back in October..I submitted a few hours before the deadline too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
vinitasithapathy wrote:

Save your sickness for later. You do not hear till atleast 2 weeks from applying. Make it three when you applied on the last day of ED with several thousands others.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts