Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 528 [43]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink]
Ppl belief: Biochem could achve vctry over micro until rec.
BUT, killing 1 -> other micro evolves
THEREFORE, MOST rational public health strat is spread INFO

(A) is an evidence Not the Point

(B) is not supported by argument; in fact, it says it can kill one micro (BUT cause others to evolve)

(C) is exactly the point (change public health policy/strategy)

(D) is extreme / not really supported by argument

(E) is not the point
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I think A only represents information of this part "However, current medical research shows that
those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will
only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines"
The primary purpose of this passage is to urge a change in public health strategy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I disagree - I think that this question is weak, because the passage does not give information telling us what the current health care policy is; merely that a certain tactic is more rational.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
All the questions that state 'which of the following can be concluded?' do allow paraphrase of the stimulus (where the question stimulus acts as the evidence for deriving the conclusion). Why then can we not use paraphrase of evidence here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE:Research (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
All the questions that state 'which of the following can be concluded?' do allow paraphrase of the stimulus (where the question stimulus acts as the evidence for deriving the conclusion). Why then can we not use paraphrase of evidence here?

This question asks you to predict the conclusion that the health expert will arrive at (not what you, the reader, can conclude). The health expert's conclusion will not be a paraphrase of the evidence (s)he cites.

Had the question asked- what can be inferred, what must be true or even what can be concluded...... I agree, paraphrased evidence would have been correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
It is not inference/must be true question, it is main point question that have conclusion. The correct answer should repeat conclusion not premise, so only option is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Can someone please advise why Option B is incorrect? The question stem wants us to rephrase the conclusion. The conclusion says that people should be careful so as to not contract any disease by micro-organisms, doesn't it mean that he is saying because there is no treatment available for diseases caused by micro-organisms (this is indicated from the premise as well).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Can an expert please jump in and rescue us please? I am not sure whether the distinctions made above stand or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink]
pqhai wrote:
p2bhokie wrote:
Can an expert please jump in and rescue us please? I am not sure whether the distinctions made above stand or not.

Hello.

This is a conclusion question, so it's important to understand the "purpose" of the author. Why does he explain/mention/talk about something? What he wants to suggest? What he implies? That helps to solve "conclusion" question.

Let analyze the question.

Public health expert: Until recently people believed that applications of biochemical research would eventually achieve complete victory over the microorganisms that cause human disease. However, current medical research shows that those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines. The most rational public health strategy, therefore, would place much more emphasis than at present on fully informing people about the transmission of diseases caused by microorganisms, with a view to minimizing the incidence of such diseases.

The blue part is the suggestion. That's the KEY. Let ask yourself why the expert suggests something? --> He wants to improve anything?

Analyze each answer choices.

Of the following, which one most accurately expresses the conclusion drawn by the public health expert?

(A) A medicine that kills one variety of disease causing microorganism can cause the evolution of a drug-resistant variety.
Wrong. It just repeats the fact and is NOT a conclusion of the public health expert.

(B) A patient who contracts a disease caused by microorganisms cannot be effectively cured by present methods.
Wrong. Out of scope. We can’t conclude that. The public health expert just says that the strategy would place more emphasis than at present on informing people about the transmission of diseases. That’s it. No comparison of how effective between a present method and that of other time period.

(C) There is good reason to make a particular change to public health policy.
Correct. This is exactly what the expert wants to say. Let ask yourself why the public health expert suggested a new strategy? The reason is, off course, the current public health policy is NOT good enough to prevent the diseases.

(D) No one who is fully informed about the diseases caused by microorganisms will ever fall victim to those diseases.
Wrong. Can’t infer that. A fully informed about the disease may be a victim to the diseases. “Informed” does not mean “100% prevented”.

(E) Some previous approaches to public health policy ignored the fact that disease-causing microorganisms reproduce at a rapid rate.
Wrong. We don’t know whether some previous approached ignored the fact that disease-causing microorganisms reproduce at rapid rate or not. We have no clue about that.

Hope it helps.

Thanks pqhai...the answer started to make a lot more sense...thanks again...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-31-2024
Send PM
Sorry for jumping in late here, but I think I can add some value. ALL (except for inferences questions) CR questions on the GMAT can be broken down into 3 buckets:

1. Descriptive Arguments
2. Ascriptive Arguments
3. Prescriptive Arguments

This is a prescriptive argument. A prescriptive argument is one that outlines a problem and prescribes a solution. The author will commonly advocate some new piece of technology, or some new method of doing a thing. They'll conclude that the new method is the best, safest, cheapest, and/or handsomest. Once you understand this, it becomes clear that the conclusion is C: "there is good reason to make a particular change to public health policy." -- REPHRASED: "there is good reason to accept my prescription."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
[quote="Ankit04041987"]Public health expert: Until recently people believed that applications of biochemical research would eventually achieve complete victory over the microorganisms that cause human disease. However, current medical research shows that those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will
only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines. The most rational public health strategy, therefore, would place much more emphasis than at present on fully informing people about the transmission of diseases caused by microorganisms, with a view to minimizing the incidence of such diseases.

Of the following, which one most accurately expresses the conclusion drawn by the public health expert?

(A) A medicine that kills one variety of disease causing microorganism can cause the evolution of a drug-resistant variety.
(B) A patient who contracts a disease caused by microorganisms cannot be effectively cured by present methods.
(D) No one who is fully informed about the diseases caused by microorganisms will ever fall victim to those diseases.
(E) Some previous approaches to public health policy ignored the fact that disease-causing microorganisms reproduce at a rapid rate.

I have a doubt..
change "to health policy" .How can informing people lead to change in health policy?A
I think B is more appropriate than C?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
ssriva2 wrote:
Ankit04041987 wrote:
I have a doubt..
change "to health policy" .How can informing people lead to change in health policy?

You're putting the horse behind the cart here. The "public health expert" is advocating a "public health strategy" of "informing people". The expert is not saying we should inform people to change the policy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A is incorrect because of 2 reasons. First, the medicine pill only creates anti-drug bacteria if it is abused.
Secondly, to get conclusion, ones should look at the premises and reasoning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
p2bhokie wrote:
pqhai wrote:
p2bhokie wrote:

Hello.

This is a conclusion question, so it's important to understand the "purpose" of the author. Why does he explain/mention/talk about something? What he wants to suggest? What he implies? That helps to solve "conclusion" question.

Let analyze the question.

Public health expert: Until recently people believed that applications of biochemical research would eventually achieve complete victory over the microorganisms that cause human disease. However, current medical research shows that those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines. The most rational public health strategy, therefore, would place much more emphasis than at present on fully informing people about the transmission of diseases caused by microorganisms, with a view to minimizing the incidence of such diseases.

The blue part is the suggestion. That's the KEY. Let ask yourself why the expert suggests something? --> He wants to improve anything?

Analyze each answer choices.

Wrong. It just repeats the fact and is NOT a conclusion of the public health expert.

Wrong. Out of scope. We can’t conclude that. The public health expert just says that the strategy would place more emphasis than at present on informing people about the transmission of diseases. That’s it. No comparison of how effective between a present method and that of other time period.

Correct. This is exactly what the expert wants to say. Let ask yourself why the public health expert suggested a new strategy? The reason is, off course, the current public health policy is NOT good enough to prevent the diseases.

Wrong. Can’t infer that. A fully informed about the disease may be a victim to the diseases. “Informed” does not mean “100% prevented”.

Wrong. We don’t know whether some previous approached ignored the fact that disease-causing microorganisms reproduce at rapid rate or not. We have no clue about that.

Hope it helps.

Thanks pqhai...the answer started to make a lot more sense...thanks again...

Posted from my mobile device

Hi. pqhai

While i agree with the best answer choice as C, I have some reservations on your explanation of why choice B is incorrect, a reservation I request you to help me get rid of

I ask why is this out of scope. The author's statement

However, current medical research shows that those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines

specifically points to the ineffectiveness of the currently available medicines in that these cannot completely cure the diseases (caused by microorganisms) because attempting to kill one type subsequently leads to evolution of a new resistant variety , leaving the disease uncured. So can we not conclude that the present method to cure diseases (treating patients with currently available medicines to fight micro organisms that caused this disease) is proving to be ineffective ? hence the patient cannot be cured effectively through present methods? . Does my point make sense or am I over analysing it?"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink]
Hi KM2018AA,

Good questions to be asking!

Re:
"However, current medical research shows that those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines

specifically points to the ineffectiveness of the currently available medicines in that these cannot completely cure the diseases (caused by microorganisms) because attempting to kill one type subsequently leads to evolution of a new resistant variety , leaving the disease uncured. So can we not conclude that the present method to cure diseases (treating patients with currently available medicines to fight micro organisms that caused this disease) is proving to be ineffective ? hence the patient cannot be cured effectively through present methods? . Does my point make sense or am I over analysing it?"

Answer B is: A patient who contracts a disease caused by microorganisms cannot be effectively cured by present methods.

Your point does make some sense but if you take the analysis further and continue debating answer B you might see that there are potential gaps in your argument.

In my thinking answer B can not be infered as we are not given any substantive information to conclude that a patient (not all or most, just a single patient) could not be cured by present methods. What might the cure rate for treatments currently be?

The author's conclusions is that the emphasis should be changed but it does not go as far as to say that medicines be removed from treating patients.

Also, do you have to kill all the microorganisms or could you just reduce the level of micro organisms, drug resistant or not, to treat someone?

Looking at the question being asked originally...
Answer B IMO does not answer what the question is looking for, it does not reflect the conclusion the author states in their last sentence

"The most rational public health strategy, therefore, would place much more emphasis than at present on fully informing people about the transmission of diseases caused by microorganisms, with a view to minimizing the incidence of such diseases."

Hope that makes some sense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Why is it C and not E, kindly explain.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert