Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [141]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32868 [8]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [8]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Public health advocate: It is generally true that medications that und [#permalink]
Kudos
sujit2k7 wrote:
Question

Public health advocate:
It is generally true that medications that undergo the extensive FDA Phase III clinical safety testing are much safer than less-researched drugs. It is also true that whenever such trials are conducted, fewer people have experienced unexpected harmful side effects, thus reducing public health risks. However, eliminating the requirement that even FDA-tested medications continue to include extensive warnings about individual risk factors would almost certainly harm rather than help public health. Consumers would tend to rely on the FDA’s general certification of safety, and if no longer encouraged to read about individual risks and drug interactions, many patients would suffer serious adverse reactions.

The two bolded statements serve what purpose in the context of the public health advocate’s argument?

A The first is a general pattern that the advocate accepts as true; the second is said to be a natural consequence that must follow if the general pattern applies. The second is not given as a natural consequence to the first.[

B The first is a causal relationship that the advocate believes will happen again in the case at issue; the second admits a situation in which the relationship would not hold. The author does not beleive that the causal realtionship in the first statement will happen again. Infact he says that it might lead to serious adverse reactions.

C The first describes a cause and effect relationship that the advocate believes will not hold in the case at issue;
the second suggests a consideration that supports that belief. Seems like a good contestant. The first statement says tested drugs lead to lesser side effects. The seconds explains a situation where that might not be the case. But the second is the authors belief rather than a consideration to support the belief. So lets hold this with some skepticism

D The first is proof that the advocate uses to support a prediction; the second states that prediction. The first statement is not a proof of anything. It is only a general observance.

E The first acknowledges a consideration that weighs against the stance that the advocate supports; the second is that stance. Between C and this option, this option seems like the better choice. AnswerNeed to know your approach how u decided the ans.
OA after some discussion.

Answer is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Public health advocate: It is generally true that medications that und [#permalink]
Kudos
sujit2k7 wrote:
Question

Public health advocate:
It is generally true that medications that undergo the extensive FDA Phase III clinical safety testing are much safer than less-researched drugs. It is also true that whenever such trials are conducted, fewer people have experienced unexpected harmful side effects, thus reducing public health risks. However, eliminating the requirement that even FDA-tested medications continue to include extensive warnings about individual risk factors would almost certainly harm rather than help public health. Consumers would tend to rely on the FDA’s general certification of safety, and if no longer encouraged to read about individual risks and drug interactions, many patients would suffer serious adverse reactions.

The two bolded statements serve what purpose in the context of the public health advocate’s argument?

A The first is a general pattern that the advocate accepts as true; the second is said to be a natural consequence that must follow if the general pattern applies.

B The first is a causal relationship that the advocate believes will happen again in the case at issue; the second admits a situation in which the relationship
would not hold.

C The first describes a cause and effect relationship that the advocate believes will not hold in the case at issue;
the second suggests a consideration that supports that belief.

D The first is proof that the advocate uses to support a prediction; the second states that prediction.

E The first acknowledges a consideration that weighs against the stance that the advocate supports; the second is that stance.

Need to know your approach how u decided the ans.
OA after some discussion.

Hi...
The con of the argument is below
eliminating the requirement that even FDA-tested medications continue to include extensive warnings about individual risk factors would almost certainly harm rather than help public health.

And the author uses the 2nd bold face to support this view / belief / prediction.
if no longer encouraged to read about individual risks and drug interactions, many patients would suffer serious adverse reactions.

1st bold face, below, is a fact that the author acknowledges to be true, but doesn't use this to support his conclusion. (can be seen by the use of key word "however" )
It is also true that whenever such trials are conducted, fewer people have experienced unexpected harmful side effects, thus reducing public health risks.

So in shot is general statement of truth and 2 is also a fact that he uses to supprort his view...!

Now to the answer choices.

D&E says 2nd is conclusion .... SO WRONG
In A the 1st part is correct, however the 2nd part is NOT A consequence of 1st bold. - Adios A
In B 1st part is the a problem here, the author believes that removing Warning would result in danger hence he believes the causality will be affected if we remove the warnings - Bye bye B

C, the answer without any doubt,
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
But the word "consideration" troubles me in option C. I believe that "consideration" in this case is a synonym with "fact". However the second statement does not seem like a fact. Rather, it sounds like an opinion. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32868 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
First of all a consideration is not a fact, is what i Think about a situation (could be or not to be true). A fact is a fact what happens, a scenario ( a thief steal my ipod) evidence is stronger than fact ( I saw Mike steal my ipod: mike you are a thief)

In concrete what is the point of the whole situation: ok drugs tested are more safety than not tested. if FDA wants eliminate something at least, FDA should not eliminate something that helps people to understand the risk of drugs. Because if people do not inform theirself and rely their judgement only on FDA, and what about if FDA was wrong ??

This is something about the chain in this CR.

For me is C, maybe I'm wrong but am confident, otherwise I would learn something :)

Originally posted by carcass on 13 Oct 2012, 07:11.
Last edited by carcass on 13 Oct 2012, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Send PM
carcass wrote:
First of all a consideration is not a fact, is what i Think about a situation (could be or not to be true). A fact is a fact what happens, a scenario ( a thief steal my ipod) evidence is stronger than fact ( I saw Mike steal my ipod: mike you are a thief)

In concrete what is the point of the whole situation: ok drugs tested are more safety than not tested. if FDA wants eliminate something at least, FDA should not eliminate something that helps people to understand the risk of drugs. Because if people do not inform theirself and based only their judgement on FDA, and what about if FDA was wrong ??

For me is C, maybe I'm wrong but am confident, otherwise I would learn something :)

Hmmm... My reasoning is that consideration means a fact that has to be taken into account before deciding on something. Anyway... The OA along with the OE would really be an eye opener.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Good discussion ..
And the OA: C
Kudos to C
Official explanation:
This is the credited response. Phrase #1 gives a generally true causal relationship (FDA testing produces safer drugs), but this relationship will not occur in a particular case where another variable is changed (i.e., if testing results in fewer required warnings). Phrase #2 explains that the usual effects (safer drugs) will not apply in such circumstances because of a REASON (i.e., because people will stop thinking about individual risks).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32868 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
MacFauz wrote:
carcass wrote:

In concrete what is the point of the whole situation: ok drugs tested are more safety than not tested. if FDA wants eliminate something at least, FDA should not eliminate something that helps people to understand the risk of drugs. Because if people do not inform theirself and based only their judgement on FDA, and what about if FDA was wrong ??

Hmmm... My reasoning is that consideration means a fact that has to be taken into account before deciding on something. Anyway... The OA along with the OE would really be an eye opener.

I said the same thing in other words :) sorry if the meaning was misunderstood

read this one. it is all about these differences soooo important

https://gmatcriticalreasoning.blogspot.i ... difference
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [7]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Public health advocate: It is generally true that medications that und [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.82
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
Public health advocate: It is generally true that medications that undergo the extensive FDA Phase III clinical safety testing are much safer than less-researched drugs. It is also true that whenever such trials are conducted, fewer people have experienced unexpected harmful side effects, thus reducing public health risks. However, eliminating the requirement that even FDA-tested medications continue to include extensive warnings about individual risk factors would almost certainly harm rather than help public health. Consumers would tend to rely on the FDA’s general certification of safety, and if no longer encouraged to read about individual risks and drug interactions, many patients would suffer serious adverse reactions.

A. The first is a general pattern that the advocate accepts as true; the second is said to be a natural consequence that must follow if the general pattern applies.

B. The first is a causal relationship that the advocate believes will happen again in the case at issue; the second admits a situation in which the relationship
would not hold.

C. The first describes a cause and effect relationship that the advocate believes will not hold in the case at issue;
the second suggests a consideration that supports that belief.

D. The first is proof that the advocate uses to support a prediction; the second states that prediction.

E. The first acknowledges a consideration that weighs against the stance that the advocate supports; the second is that stance.

-------------------

A. The first is a general pattern that the advocate accepts as true; the second is said to be a natural consequence that must follow if the general pattern applies. Second part wrong, it is not the natural consequence if people are suffering less risks during trial.

B. The first is a causal relationship that the advocate believes will happen again in the case at issue; the second admits a situation in which the relationship
would not hold. People suffer less at trails (cause) ---> FDA removes warning signs and hence no adverse effect on people (effect). first part ---> will happen again? (wrong). Second part relationship holds, the consequence isn't explained at all.

C. The first describes a cause and effect relationship that the advocate believes will not hold in the case at issue;
the second suggests a consideration that supports that belief. People suffer less at trails (cause) ---> FDA removes warning signs and hence no adverse effect on people (effect). Effect doesnt hold --> it will affect people. So first part right. Second shows how it will not hold. So correct.

D. The first is proof that the advocate uses to support a prediction; the second states that prediction. People suffering less in trials isnt the proof. Its consequent effect is at the core of the argument. What could happen if FDA removes warning signs. So first part is wrong. Second is a prediction. So correct. But as a whole D is wrong.

E. The first acknowledges a consideration that weighs against the stance that the advocate supports; the second is that stance. the advocate takes a stance or stands with the belief that removing warning signs will affect people badly. First doesnt acknowledge that stand. it is a mere fact. it does nothing. its consequence affects the advocates's stand. so E is out.

OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Public health advocate: It is generally true that medications that undergo the extensive FDA Phase III clinical safety testing are much safer than less-researched drugs. It is also true that whenever such trials are conducted, fewer people have experienced unexpected harmful side effects, thus reducing public health risks. However, eliminating the requirement that even FDA-tested medications continue to include extensive warnings about individual risk factors would almost certainly harm rather than help public health. Consumers would tend to rely on the FDA’s general certification of safety, and if no longer encouraged to read about individual risks and drug interactions, many patients would suffer serious adverse reactions.

The first bold face "such trials are conducted, fewer people have experienced unexpected harmful side effects, thus reducing public health risks" expresses cause and effect relationship. FDI trials of medications -------------> few harmful side effects observed

This paragraph "However, eliminating the requirement that even FDA-tested medications continue to include extensive warnings about individual risk factors would almost certainly harm rather than help public health" expresses a resulting possibility of a course of action i.e. if warnings about risk factors would be removed from FDA tested medication.

This paragraph "Consumers would tend to rely on the FDA’s general certification of safety, and if no longer encouraged to read about individual risks and drug interactions, many patients would suffer serious adverse reactions" supports the second para stating that consumer without having individual guidelines about safety and drug effects would have serious adverse reaction.- Second bold face contradicts the cause-effect relationship if warnings are removed.

A. The first is a general pattern that the advocate accepts as true; the second is said to be a natural consequence that must follow if the general pattern applies.

would not hold.

the second suggests a consideration that supports that belief. ------ Only C fits in the slot.

D. The first is proof that the advocate uses to support a prediction; the second states that prediction.

E. The first acknowledges a consideration that weighs against the stance that the advocate supports; the second is that stance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos