Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [40]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [7]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Moderate political views [#permalink]
Kudos
MacFauz wrote:
The conclusion is that the voters did not accurately describe their political views (moderate) based on the fact that the majority voted for an extreme candidate. Since this is an assumption question, we can easily find the answer using LEN method. I'm just going to show it for the right answer for now.

Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.

So, applying LEN, we get something like,
Voters with moderate political views might vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
While considering the above negated statement along with the conclusion , you will feel it doesnt kills the conclusion.
If voters might vote for polliticians with extreme thought, than they are doing what conclusion is stating and not the opposite.
Hence it doesnt kills the conclusion.
Pls explain if i have missed something.

This clearly kills the conclusion and its basis because if voters with mooderate political views vote for an extreme politician. Then it would be wrong to say that they did not accurately describe their political views.

C.Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
D. Voters can be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.
When we negate D : Voters may not be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.

Conclusion:It follows that these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.
I think negated option D kills the conclusion, so why should we not select D.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Moderate political views [#permalink]
Kudos
Archit143 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
The conclusion is that the voters did not accurately describe their political views (moderate) based on the fact that the majority voted for an extreme candidate. Since this is an assumption question, we can easily find the answer using LEN method. I'm just going to show it for the right answer for now.

Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.

So, applying LEN, we get something like,
Voters with moderate political views might vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
While considering the above negated statement along with the conclusion , you will feel it doesnt kills the conclusion.
If voters might vote for polliticians with extreme thought, than they are doing what conclusion is stating and not the opposite.
Hence it doesnt kills the conclusion.
Pls explain if i have missed something.

This clearly kills the conclusion and its basis because if voters with mooderate political views vote for an extreme politician. Then it would be wrong to say that they did not accurately describe their political views.

C.Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
D. Voters can be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.
When we negate D : Voters may not be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.

Conclusion:It follows that these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.
I think negated option D kills the conclusion, so why should we not select D.

The conclusion says that the voters misrepresented themselves. i.e It means to say that although the voters had said that they had moderate political views, they actually had extreme views.

D) Negating this option does not infact kill the conclusion. I can still argue that voters may not have changed in their views, but that does not necessarily mean that they would vote for the candidate with the same views. eg: I may have conservative views but still I might vote for the Liberal candidate because maybe I feel that he is a nice guy.

C on the other hand does not leave room for this argument and hence is the right answer.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: 2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where [#permalink]
Kudos
Could someone provide the negation of E and why it is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
Send PM
Bookmarks
Could someone explain why A is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Clearly A and C are contenders. I negated A and thought it was ruining conclusion.

If Individuals DO NOT always characterize themselves in keeping with their actual political views.

then may be at poll, they did not accurately describe their opinion in the 1st place.

Any help ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where [#permalink]
sshivanis04 wrote:
Could someone provide the negation of E and why it is wrong?

E - might or might not be true. It is stated that they described themselves supporting X, and in E you are giving a "possible" (one of the many) reason for why they are supporting X.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where they stood on the political spectrum. 78% of these individuals described themselves as "moderate" in their political views; however, in the national elections that most closely preceded and followed the poll, over half of the individuals polled voted for candidates far to one end of the political spectrum. It follows that these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the above argument relies?
A. Individuals always characterize themselves in keeping with their actual political views.
B. There were no moderate candidates in the national elections preceding and following the poll.
C. Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
E. Many of the polled individuals did not understand what a moderate political view is, and so misdescribed themselves

Can some one please explain why E) is wrong?
I get that the negation of C works in order to answer the Q?

BUt still not convinced why E) is wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where they stood on the political spectrum. 78% of these individuals described themselves as "moderate" in their political views; however, in the national elections that most closely preceded and followed the poll, over half of the individuals polled voted for candidates far to one end of the political spectrum. It follows that these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.

I chose C. but if I change D to this :
D. Voters can not be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time. then this can be a correct option. your View pl
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:

A. Individuals always characterize themselves in keeping with their actual political views.
B. There were no moderate candidates in the national elections preceding and following the poll.
C. Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
E. Many of the polled individuals did not understand what a moderate political view is, and so misdescribed themselves

E explains the reason why they were incorrect. We already know that they were incorrectly expressed their view. We want to prove that conclusion is not valid, when you negate the assumption.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 256
Send PM
Kudos

I have the same doubt.

Probably the catch in the sentence is the word 'MANY'. If we flip the sentence to read

Some of the polled individuals understood what a a moderate political view is, and so described themselves correctly.

'SOME' can mean any number from 0-2800. If some of these individuals did describe themselves correctly, it is likely that the 'others' did not, thus the argument can still hold ground.

Please correct me if you see any fault in my thinking process.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
gamelord wrote:

E. Many of the polled individuals did not understand what a moderate political view is, and so misdescribed themselves.

I don't understand the explanation of OE. Can you explain in details for me?

Only the option C does the intended job. Every other option is either weakening the conclusion or resolving the paradox.

Conclusion: these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.
There are a few assumptions that could have worked - 1. 2500 is big enough a sample. 2. There was nothing that could have changed the voter's mind...

This is actually Weakening the conclusion.

Explaining the reason for shift in votes. Therefore, this option is Resolving the paradox and hence weakening the conclusion again.

Negation Approves this option.

Providing the alternate explanation. Therefore, this option is Resolving the paradox and hence weakening the conclusion again.

E. Many of the polled individuals did not understand what a moderate political view is, and so misdescribed themselves.
This option is again Resolving the Paradox. We need an option that would bridge the gap between premise and conclusion; whereas, this option is providing a reason for this disparity in result.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
deeksha6 wrote:

I have the same doubt.

Probably the catch in the sentence is the word 'MANY'. If we flip the sentence to read

Some of the polled individuals understood what a a moderate political view is, and so described themselves correctly.

'SOME' can mean any number from 0-2800. If some of these individuals did describe themselves correctly, it is likely that the 'others' did not, thus the argument can still hold ground.

Please correct me if you see any fault in my thinking process.

I guess that makes sense but im not sure of what should be the opposite of "many"? Should it be "most" (51-100) in that case its opposite will be will be less than half ie "0-50"
Yes in that case, the negation less than half did not understand the meaning of moderate and hence misdescribed themselves. Conclusion does not break down. Hence cannot be the answer.
HOw is the opposite of many "51-100" = some "1-100"
opposite of some/at least one "1-100" can be NONE (0) or NOT ALL "0-99"
Please correct me if I am wrong
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM