Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Number Propertiesx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [38]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [4]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [4]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: How many integers are there between, but not including, integers r and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
statement 1

s=r+10

so basically the numbers we have are r,r+1,r+2,r+3,r+4,r+5,r+6,r+7,r+8,r+9,r+10( r+10 is S)

so there are 9 integers in between another way to solve would be s-r+1 = 10+1 = 11 total number of integers
since we need the numbers in between 11 - 2 ( the 2 numbers we subtract are r and s) hence we get 9

statement 2

there are 9 integers so we have a total of 11 integers at the moment.

s+1 - (r+1) + 1 = 11
s+1-r-1=10
s-r=10 which is same as statement 1 sufficient

so answer is D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: How many integers are there between, but not including, integers r and [#permalink]
Kudos
From statement 1,
s-r=10
Sufficient to conclude number that s is 9 integers after r.

Statment 2,
s+1 is 9 integers after r+1
or s is 9 integers after r (same as S1)
Sufficient.

Hence D

Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 13th Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

How many integers are there between, but not including, integers r and s ?

(1) s-r=10
(2) There are 9 integers between, but not including, r + 1 and s + 1.

Practice Questions
Question: 64
Page: 280
Difficulty: 600

GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 13th Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 13th Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a solution.

We'll be glad if you participate in development of this project:
1. Please provide your solutions to the questions;
2. Please vote for the best solutions by pressing Kudos button;
3. Please vote for the questions themselves by pressing Kudos button;
4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Notice that we are told that r and s are integers.

(1) s – r = 10 --> since r and s are integers and s – r = 10 then there will be 9 integers between them. For example take s=10 and r=0, then there are following integers between them: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Sufficient.

(2) There are 9 integers between, but not including, r + 1 and s + 1 --> the distance between r and s is the same as the distance between r+1 and s+1, so if there are 9 integers between, but not including, r+1 and s+1 then there will be 9 integers between, but not including, r and s too. For example consider s+1=11 and r+1=1 (9 integers between them: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10) --> s=10 and r=0 the same as above. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Kudos points given to everyone with correct solution. Let me know if I missed someone.

I still do not understand how (1) is sufficient. My train of thought on it being insufficient is as follows with and example
s-r=10

12-2= 10 if s= 12 and r= 2 but the consecutive set could be consecutive multiples 2,4,6,8,10,12. There would only be 4 integer in between.
Do we just assume they are a consecutive set of integers?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
inportsmouthva wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

(1) s – r = 10 --> since r and s are integers and s – r = 10 then there will be 9 integers between them. For example take s=10 and r=0, then there are following integers between them: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Sufficient.

(2) There are 9 integers between, but not including, r + 1 and s + 1 --> the distance between r and s is the same as the distance between r+1 and s+1, so if there are 9 integers between, but not including, r+1 and s+1 then there will be 9 integers between, but not including, r and s too. For example consider s+1=11 and r+1=1 (9 integers between them: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10) --> s=10 and r=0 the same as above. Sufficient.

Kudos points given to everyone with correct solution. Let me know if I missed someone.

I still do not understand how (1) is sufficient. My train of thought on it being insufficient is as follows with and example
s-r=10

12-2= 10 if s= 12 and r= 2 but the consecutive set could be consecutive multiples 2,4,6,8,10,12. There would only be 4 integer in between.
Do we just assume they are a consecutive set of integers?

Let me ask you a question: how many integers are there between, but not including, 2 and 12?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Let me ask you a question: how many integers are there between, but not including, 2 and 12?

BINGO- I get it now. The lights just went on. There are 9. The question specifically states how many integers between the two numbers. It does not mention intervals. The question states "integers between"
The good thing is that I am learning that I am sometimes reading way too much into a question, thinking it can not be this easy.
This is part of my learning "what to watch out for, and what kind of mistakes I am making"
Thanks so much for your help
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel , if i am not mistaken , why are we assuming that r and s belongs to an evenly spaced set of integers ??
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
yezz wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel , if i am not mistaken , why are we assuming that r and s belongs to an evenly spaced set of integers ??

Not sure I understand what you mean.

s and r are just two integers. The question asks: how many integers are there between, but not including r and s.

Ask yourself, how many integers are there between, but not including, 0 and 10? The answer is 9: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

But, Bunuel - Considering your example in the first case in which r=0 and s=10, the number of integers between them could be maximum 9 or it could be any number less than that. Because, there is no mention of the word "consecutive" in the question. But, the second one clearly states that there are 9 integers. Hence B is sufficient, but A is not! Can you please explain where I am going wrong? Since this is an official problem and also you had solved it, I am 100% confident that D is the answer, but, I want to know where I am going wrong.
Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618640 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sharmila79 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

But, Bunuel - Considering your example in the first case in which r=0 and s=10, the number of integers between them could be maximum 9 or it could be any number less than that. Because, there is no mention of the word "consecutive" in the question. But, the second one clearly states that there are 9 integers. Hence B is sufficient, but A is not! Can you please explain where I am going wrong? Since this is an official problem and also you had solved it, I am 100% confident that D is the answer, but, I want to know where I am going wrong.
Thanks!

You don't need the word "consecutive".

How many integers are there between, but not including 1 and 3? Only one integer: 2.
How many integers are there between, but not including 1 and 5? Three: 2, 3, and 4.

Similarly: how many integers are there between, but not including, 0 and 10? The answer is 9: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Bunuel , why can't s and r be negative?s could be -10 and r could be 20 so s-r would still be 10 but the number of integers would be 30?I'm sure i'm missing something stupid here.
:/
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ralphcuisak wrote:
Bunuel , why can't s and r be negative?s could be -10 and r could be 20 so s-r would still be 10 but the number of integers would be 30?I'm sure i'm missing something stupid here.
:/

If s = -10 and r = 20, then s - r = -10 - 20 = -30, not 10.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Oh.i knew its something stupid.This warrants a break.Thanks a ton Bunuel . You rock.
:|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
The number of integers between two numbers r and s (including both numbers) is s - r +1
The number of integers between two numbers r and s (excluding both numbers) is s - r - 1

Basically the question is asking the value of (s - r - 1)?

(1) s - r = 10.
10 - 1 = 9 Sufficient

(2) There are 9 integers between, but not including, r + 1 and s + 1.

[(s + 1) - (r + 1) - 1] = 9
or (s - r - 1 ) = 9 Sufficient

Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Hi Bunuel, how to know that the integers between r and s are consecutive integers?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kchaudhary wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Hi Bunuel, how to know that the integers between r and s are consecutive integers?

Integers between r and s consists of all the integers between r and s, so they ARE consecutive. For example, integers between 5 and 10 are 6, 7, 8, and 9, which are naturally consecutive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
one small doubt in the statement 1. Why shouldn't we consider s=-10 and r=20 in which case the sum is 10 but the number of integers between them is not 9. Kindly explain
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
longhaul123 wrote:
one small doubt in the statement 1. Why shouldn't we consider s=-10 and r=20 in which case the sum is 10 but the number of integers between them is not 9. Kindly explain

(1) says that s – r = 10.

If s = -10 and r = 20, then s - r = -10 - 20 = -30, not 10.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts