Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [7]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Anyone started with the essays , just wanted to know whether the same experience such as work/extracurricular should flow in all 3 questions of Essay 2 or the individual parts could focus on different spheres of life.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
Anyone started with the essays , just wanted to know whether the same experience such as work/extracurricular should flow in all 3 questions of Essay 2 or the individual parts could focus on different spheres of life.

I talked about different things in the 3 parts of Essay 2. You considered that the adcom would want to know about as much as possible about us. Plus the questions are not really conducive to using the same experience I found.
Part a. I talked about a personal story
Part b. What I would do if I am admitted (extracurriculars and the type of person I am)
Part c. Professional goals that will have a positive impact

Maybe someone else has another point of view.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fitzmanon wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

I talked about different things in the 3 parts of Essay 2. You considered that the adcom would want to know about as much as possible about us. Plus the questions are not really conducive to using the same experience I found.
Part a. I talked about a personal story
Part b. What I would do if I am admitted (extracurriculars and the type of person I am)
Part c. Professional goals that will have a positive impact

Maybe someone else has another point of view.

Thanks for the view point fitzmanon. Appreciate your views
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am wondering if McCombs is anyone's first choice? It seems to be a very popular safety school for a lot of people on gmatclub. I checked a few older discussions about the school and a lot of people receiving offers from McCombs are just waiting to hear from higher-ranked schools before accepting an offer. In the "McCombs 2012 - Calling all applicants" discussion the admission statistics graph (where color dots are plotted) is just ridiculous. You've got 2 matriculating for maybe 20 admitted!

McCombs is my first choice but I really worry about going to a school that people are not excited about.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fitzmanon wrote:
I am wondering if McCombs is anyone's first choice? It seems to be a very popular safety school for a lot of people on gmatclub. I checked a few older discussions about the school and a lot of people receiving offers from McCombs are just waiting to hear from higher-ranked schools before accepting an offer. In the "McCombs 2012 - Calling all applicants" discussion the admission statistics graph (where color dots are plotted) is just ridiculous. You've got 2 matriculating for maybe 20 admitted!

McCombs is my first choice but I really worry about going to a school that people are not excited about.

@fitzmanon , the general sentiment about going to the B-school is somewhat subdued to a large extent by the job market. People are not willing to enter a B-school with bad job prospects. Having sad that I feel Mccombs is not on the radar of most of the people on gmatclub because
1) I see only the best of the best applicants are present on the gmatclub
2) Possibly many are not aware about the strengths of Mccombs program and life style in Austin in general.
3)Most of the applicants might consider this as a fallback option after giving their best shot on the other better ranked schools.

Whatever the reason may be , for me Mccombs is a top choice. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
@fitzmanon , the general sentiment about going to the B-school is somewhat subdued to a large extent by the job market. People are not willing to enter a B-school with bad job prospects. Having sad that I feel Mccombs is not on the radar of most of the people on gmatclub because
1) I see only the best of the best applicants are present on the gmatclub
2) Possibly many are not aware about the strengths of Mccombs program and life style in Austin in general.
3)Most of the applicants might consider this as a fallback option after giving their best shot on the other better ranked schools.

Whatever the reason may be , for me Mccombs is a top choice. :)

Thanks. I guess you're right. McCombs is my absolute first choice too even though it's the lowest ranked program I am applying to.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi all. Since McCombs has 4 rounds, does that mean that Round 3 isn't necessarily as bad in terms of admission chances as it would be if there are only 3 rounds or do you still think that by the time Round 3 rolls around most of the class is already filled? I'm trying to spread out my applications but for some reason all of the deadlines for my round 2 schools are falling within 1-2 weeks in early December!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dakells wrote:
Hi all. Since McCombs has 4 rounds, does that mean that Round 3 isn't necessarily as bad in terms of admission chances as it would be if there are only 3 rounds or do you still think that by the time Round 3 rolls around most of the class is already filled? I'm trying to spread out my applications but for some reason all of the deadlines for my round 2 schools are falling within 1-2 weeks in early December!

Dakells ,

Round 3 is the priority deadline for international students for Mccombs.
Generally the last round R3(if a school has 3 rounds) or R4(if a school has 4 rounds) is meant for local applicants who don't have to go through the hassle of obtaining visa and other things to study in the US.For Schools with only 3 rounds I would suggest to apply by round 2 as the school would try to fill in the international applicants by R2. R3 would put you in spot of botheration for these things :

1)Less time to apply for Visa and other documentation work
2)Very less seats if any are available after R2 for international applicants would be open.
3)Intense competition from Locals in US for the slots in last round.

For Mccombs Round 3 is still a better option for international students as compared to R4 or for that matter compared to any other school in terms of admit chances to schools with only 3 rounds of admits. R3 would have slots open for international students but very less compared to R1 and R2.

In general

R1~R2>>>R3>R4
in terms of slots open for admission

These arguments stem from my general discussion with people in Bschools and their perception on the whole admission process. It doesn't mean that people who apply in last round of the respective schools are not admitted. If you feel you can give your best shot and your application would be ready only by the final round , by all means apply in the final round. Its a subjective call and really depends on when u feel u are ready.

Hope this answers your question
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am wondering who already visited or plans to visit McCombs before/right after applying. Do you think it adds any weight to the application?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
It does. Do it if you can. I mean it's not like they are gonna be "okay, he visited, so he's in", but you will gain SOOO much from it in an indirect manner, especially if you haven't yet written your essays - you'll meet all sorts of people, see all sorts of places/programs that you wouldn't know about if you hadn't visited. Plus, all of a sudden, your "excitement" to go to the school becomes just sooooo much more tangible, soooooo much more real - I mean you have ACTUALLY been there!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
Dakells wrote:

Dakells ,

Round 3 is the priority deadline for international students for Mccombs.
Generally the last round R3(if a school has 3 rounds) or R4(if a school has 4 rounds) is meant for local applicants who don't have to go through the hassle of obtaining visa and other things to study in the US.For Schools with only 3 rounds I would suggest to apply by round 2 as the school would try to fill in the international applicants by R2. R3 would put you in spot of botheration for these things :

1)Less time to apply for Visa and other documentation work
2)Very less seats if any are available after R2 for international applicants would be open.
3)Intense competition from Locals in US for the slots in last round.

For Mccombs Round 3 is still a better option for international students as compared to R4 or for that matter compared to any other school in terms of admit chances to schools with only 3 rounds of admits. R3 would have slots open for international students but very less compared to R1 and R2.

In general

R1~R2>>>R3>R4
in terms of slots open for admission

These arguments stem from my general discussion with people in Bschools and their perception on the whole admission process. It doesn't mean that people who apply in last round of the respective schools are not admitted. If you feel you can give your best shot and your application would be ready only by the final round , by all means apply in the final round. Its a subjective call and really depends on when u feel u are ready.

Hope this answers your question

Thanks CrackHSW! So sounds like Round 3 still isn't a good way to go even though there are technically 4 rounds.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Can someone from admissions or a current international student actually confirm that R3 at McCombs is the same as R2 for international students. Deadline for R2 is Dec 4 and time is running out. thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ace312 wrote:
Can someone from admissions or a current international student actually confirm that R3 at McCombs is the same as R2 for international students. Deadline for R2 is Dec 4 and time is running out. thanks

Hello - I am a first-year student at McCombs and part of the McCombs Admissions Committee. I can confirm that Round 3 is the final deadline for International students.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fitzmanon wrote:
I am wondering who already visited or plans to visit McCombs before/right after applying. Do you think it adds any weight to the application?

Hello - I am a first-year student at McCombs and part of the McCombs Admissions Committee. While visiting us in Austin does not add any weight or preference to your application, we encourage you to visit during your application process so that you can better get to know the school and make sure it is the right fit for you. We enjoy talking to perspective students on-campus and answering any questions you may have about the school in person. We have information sessions about every other Friday and offer class visits on Mondays or Thursdays. Go to the 'Visit McCombs' section of our website to register for any of these options.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
fitzmanon wrote:

Yeah, McCombs is definitely my first choice. I applied in Round 1, so I'm going to drop my paperwork for the other schools if I find out in Dec. that I got admitted. I love Austin, the cost of living, the collegial student body, and its reputation in the southwest. Hope to see you next year.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
McCombsStudent wrote:
ace312 wrote:

Hello - I am a first-year student at McCombs and part of the McCombs Admissions Committee. I can confirm that Round 3 is the final deadline for International students.

What does that mean in terms of scholarships? Are R3 international applicants not eligible for scholarships? thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ace312 wrote:
McCombsStudent wrote:
ace312 wrote:

What does that mean in terms of scholarships? Are R3 international applicants not eligible for scholarships? thanks in advance.

To be considered for a scholarship, you must apply by Round 2, regardless if you are a domestic or international student. No applicants within Rounds 3 or 4 will be considered for a scholarship.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts