Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
mba2014hopeful wrote:
isharmaur wrote:
I know a couple of people have asked this, but does anyone know where we put information like: 1) explanation of why we are not using a current supervisor, 2) fact that our spouse is also applying, 3) addressing undergrad GPA, etc? I know I am probably missing something obvious, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Somehow it's supposed to go in the cover letter. Not quite sure yet how to do that eloquently.

Posted from my mobile device

Yeah, me neither. But hopefully we both figure something out :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
Send PM
Hey! Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload transcripts for every school we have taken any classes at, including study abroad programs or transfer credit?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
isharmaur wrote:
Hey! Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload transcripts for every school we have taken any classes at, including study abroad programs or transfer credit?

Yes. I have transfer credits and even an alternate transcript that I uploaded. Anyone submit yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For the supplemental information, what are folks using to upload their powerpoint presentations?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mbasprint wrote:
For the supplemental information, what are folks using to upload their powerpoint presentations?

Just be aware that the admissions committee needs to be able to view this from an iPad.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stupandaus wrote:
mbasprint wrote:

Just be aware that the admissions committee needs to be able to view this from an iPad.

Right. Was kinda torn between youtube and sites like slideshare, slideboom, etc..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Send PM
lifeofpurpose wrote:
chintamani wrote:
About the choice of recommenders, I was wondering if I can have a supervisor and a peer review from my current organization. As they will be best able to comment on my working style and about the 'latest' me. Or should I go safely with a supervisor from a previous organization.

i had a former supervisor and colleague write the recommendations, however i did have to explain why i didn't provide my current supervisor's recommendation.

Just make sure recommenders can provide a lot of details about your work, strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for the info lifeofpurpose! May I know where did you explain this? Is it in suplementary essay part, or did you do it during interview?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
For the supplementary essay do people generally send in videos or slideshows? Is it basically sending in tons of the same format like this and you have to differentiate yourself in the content?

I know there's a 300 word essay option, but that to me screams boring.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
hookemhorns612 wrote:

I agree with you there, but I see a lot of people going for the text essay nonetheless. Video and Powerpoint require a separate visual intelligence, and take a lot more work to make a true masterpiece than a written essay, so if you have some ideas, it is time to go to the drawing board.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
What would be the ideal length for a powerpoint? Booth limited it to 4. What is a good advice for Sloan?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
niksworth wrote:
What would be the ideal length for a powerpoint? Booth limited it to 4. What is a good advice for Sloan?

4-5 impactful slides should still be your guideline. Too many thy'll lose interest, too less and you wont convey anything
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
My strength isnt in the creativty department for this kind of stuff, so sticking to essay...

I like this essay cause nowhere does MIT ask about your goals. My goals are a little unusual for an MBA candidate, so this is a good place to spend half a paragraph talking about them.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
str1der wrote:
niksworth wrote:

4-5 impactful slides should still be your guideline. Too many thy'll lose interest, too less and you wont convey anything

Hmmm, sounds right. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
My strength isnt in the creativty department for this kind of stuff, so sticking to essay...

I like this essay cause nowhere does MIT ask about your goals. My goals are a little unusual for an MBA candidate, so this is a good place to spend half a paragraph talking about them.

I read somewhere that MIT isn't so crazy about goals as the folks there acknowledge that majority will probably end up doing something else. I 've also read that the MIT adcom is more interested in what and why you have done rather than what you're going to do.

Having said that, if you have solid and unique goals, why not - it'll probably be a differentiating factor.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
niksworth wrote:
Dbalks wrote:

I read somewhere that MIT isn't so crazy about goals as the folks there acknowledge that majority will probably end up doing something else. I 've also read that the MIT adcom is more interested in what and why you have done rather than what you're going to do.

Having said that, if you have solid and unique goals, why not - it'll probably be a differentiating factor.

You are 100% right, MIT could care less about my goals and more about past experiences. Just a part of me after writing all kinds of essays really wants to get my message across because I think it somewhat links to my past and is really the only thing that makes me a good bschool candidate. I probably should strike down that feeling, but I cant.

I wouldnt advise others to write about being an investment banker, consultant, PE person. They dont seem to care about those goals. I am no entrepeuner (I cant even spell it), but if I had started a company in the past and wanted to make it big in the future, here is where I would state something like that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hookemhorns612 wrote:
For the supplementary essay do people generally send in videos or slideshows? Is it basically sending in tons of the same format like this and you have to differentiate yourself in the content?

i agree that the 300 word essay option may "scream boring", but I think what is more dangerous is that many people will try to use the video/slideshow option without having a real need to present their case that way. I think using the video/slideshow option when an essay could have conveyed what you said is worse than using an essay. There needs to be a compelling reason to use the visual option. I'm going with the essay route since I'm not presenting anything that needs to be shown visually.

btw, i quickly flipped through the online app and didn't notice where to upload the essays. Anyone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
I was not able to attend any of the Sloan MBA fairs so far and want to apply to R1. Would it still help if I attended a Sloan fair AFTER submitting my application?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts