Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
joe82 wrote:
Same here, I was a little worried when I saw it. Interesting new design on the interview format...I can't imagine being in there with all the other hungry candidates trying to get a piece of the teamwork pie.

I am so happy to see Wharton has this new format, its innovation in itself. It also differentiates itself from other schools like Harvard and Stanford.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I feel like this slightly throws me out of my comfort zone. I mean, I was mentally prepared for one-on-one interviews with my colleges. Now we're going to be scrapping for footage time in a room full of ultra smart people. I think its going to be interesting but excruciatingly nerve wracking.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Group dynamics my friend. Plus, it's a classic tactic of interrogation or inquisition. It's always the silent ones that are dangerous!
;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
joe82 wrote:
Same here, I was a little worried when I saw it. Interesting new design on the interview format...I can't imagine being in there with all the other hungry candidates trying to get a piece of the teamwork pie.

I am so happy to see Wharton has this new format, its innovation in itself. It also differentiates itself from other schools like Harvard and Stanford.

I wonder if you can really call the Group Interview an 'innovation'. Business schools in India have done it for decades, and they stopped doing it probably because they realised that it was not the best way to evaluate candidates. Most such "Group Interviews" will end up being chaotic, with each participant trying to beat the other on verbal real-estate. Wharton is trying to do something different, but I really wonder if they did the 'Research' (as they mention in their essay question) before deciding to deploy an evaluation tool that has all been abandoned by universities that used it in the past.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Consulting companies throw job applicants into these team-based discussions to weed out the unassertive folks.

I wonder how Wharton is going to organise these team-based discussions for international applicants based in cities with very few or almost no applicants. Perhaps we're expected to fly to the nearest country where there is a larger pool of applicants. Has anybody asked Wharton Admissions about this?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
theK wrote:
Consulting companies throw job applicants into these team-based discussions to weed out the unassertive folks.

I wonder how Wharton is going to organise these team-based discussions for international applicants based in cities with very few or almost no applicants. Perhaps we're expected to fly to the nearest country where there is a larger pool of applicants. Has anybody asked Wharton Admissions about this?

The email listed the cities they would have interviews in (London, Mumbai, SF, etc). I'm guessing if you don't live near one of those cities, you would have to fly to whichever is closest to you. Similarly for US applicants, we'll have to travel to either SF or Philly regardless of where we live -- though a campus visit is not necessarily a bad thing to make time for.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
The email listed the cities they would have interviews in (London, Mumbai, SF, etc). I'm guessing if you don't live near one of those cities, you would have to fly to whichever is closest to you. Similarly for US applicants, we'll have to travel to either SF or Philly regardless of where we live -- though a campus visit is not necessarily a bad thing to make time for.

Thanks, mba2014hopeful. Does it include any of the Australian cities or Singapore by any chance? If not, do you mind sharing which cities in the Pacific and South East Asia regions are listed in the email?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
This is what was listed:

The off-campus interviews will be held in Dubai, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Pashya wrote:
I feel like this slightly throws me out of my comfort zone. I mean, I was mentally prepared for one-on-one interviews with my colleges. Now we're going to be scrapping for footage time in a room full of ultra smart people. I think its going to be interesting but excruciatingly nerve wracking.

Alright, this is loser talk. You my friend are a member of GMATClub. You scored highly on your GMAT. You are applying yousrelf to one of the top busines schools in the world. From this I can tell you are a bright driven individual. If you are getting an interview at Wharton, you will be one of those ultra smart people in that room. You are clearly on par with the best of the best. If you cant muster up the self confidence and courage to get in there and make a few points during the discussion, then you don't deserve Wharton. Its not about scrapping for time, I am very reserved in these situations, but I will go in with a game plan. I know I wont dominate the conversation, but I will try to get a few key points in and build off others in the room.

Come on, we got this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sid05 wrote:
This is what was listed:

The off-campus interviews will be held in Dubai, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.

Thanks, sid05. That corresponds to what Adam Markus has on his blog:
https://adam-markus.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... n-mba.html

For the international applicants that have been invited to an interview, can anybody share with me the dates for the sessions in Singapore? Much appreciated.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
theK wrote:
sid05 wrote:
This is what was listed:

Thanks, sid05. That corresponds to what Adam Markus has on his blog:
https://adam-markus.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... n-mba.html

For the international applicants that have been invited to an interview, can anybody share with me the dates for the sessions in Singapore? Much appreciated.

Invites won't go out until Oct 23 to Nov 9. Hang tight until then.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Throwing out an idea here. Would anyone be interested in setting up an anonymous google hangout-style chat where we can practice the group discussions? I'm sure no matter how the practice sessions go, we'll be a bit more prepared for the cluster-f when the real interview happens.

PM me if you're interested
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Very cool idea! Let us know if this works out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

I wonder if you can really call the Group Interview an 'innovation'. Business schools in India have done it for decades, and they stopped doing it probably because they realised that it was not the best way to evaluate candidates. Most such "Group Interviews" will end up being chaotic, with each participant trying to beat the other on verbal real-estate. Wharton is trying to do something different, but I really wonder if they did the 'Research' (as they mention in their essay question) before deciding to deploy an evaluation tool that has all been abandoned by universities that used it in the past.

I am afraid you have confused innovation with invention. Wharton has innovated. They will use an existing technique which was not in use at Wharton all along and adopt it for their own good. A clear differentiator from rest of the top tier schools.

Anyways I think Group discussion will not be the main metric this year as it is the first year of use.The weightage of the GD should be similar to that given to candidate's IR score. Wharton will evaluate the GD this year and then consider to use it more regularly depending on the outcome.

The Innovation group will probably end up looking at the data and proposing whether the GD styled interview works. Another point here is that the Wharton GD differs significantly from those in IIMs. This I gathered from the examples provided for the candidate's preparation. From the examples, its clear that Wharton's topics are general affairs rather than current affairs, which gets tested in IIMs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Anybody have any idea what Wharton is looking for in the hobbies or related activities section of the app? It seems like "hobbies" suggests things like, I enjoy cooking and skiing in my free time, but I don't belong to any club or organization or hold a title with respect to these activities, and there is no start/stop date. I'm debating whether to include these types of hobbies (eg, "Cooking" is my "club" and I have been doing it from xx/2004 to present and spend about 3 hrs per week doing it) or just leave this section blank. Also thinking about adding very old club involvements, like I was on a ski team in high school, in order to indicate that I have been involved in this activity for a long time, but on the other hand maybe it is just stale and unimportant at this point. Thoughts?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
madammepsychosis wrote:
Anybody have any idea what Wharton is looking for in the hobbies or related activities section of the app? It seems like "hobbies" suggests things like, I enjoy cooking and skiing in my free time, but I don't belong to any club or organization or hold a title with respect to these activities, and there is no start/stop date. I'm debating whether to include these types of hobbies (eg, "Cooking" is my "club" and I have been doing it from xx/2004 to present and spend about 3 hrs per week doing it) or just leave this section blank. Also thinking about adding very old club involvements, like I was on a ski team in high school, in order to indicate that I have been involved in this activity for a long time, but on the other hand maybe it is just stale and unimportant at this point. Thoughts?

Well, I would leave out the ski thing. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote the word "Stale"... If you haven't done it since high school, it's likely not all that relevant. As for the cooking, that can be great, but we need to know that it's more than three hours of you just slapping some tomatoes in the pan to put on your spaghetti! You need to find some concrete way to make it relevant and interesting (like, you have taken courses in three types of cuisine, you know how to make Peking Duck, you test two new recipes a week, etc.... Make it UNIQUE and INTERESTING!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
madammepsychosis wrote:

Well, I would leave out the ski thing. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote the word "Stale"... If you haven't done it since high school, it's likely not all that relevant. As for the cooking, that can be great, but we need to know that it's more than three hours of you just slapping some tomatoes in the pan to put on your spaghetti! You need to find some concrete way to make it relevant and interesting (like, you have taken courses in three types of cuisine, you know how to make Peking Duck, you test two new recipes a week, etc.... Make it UNIQUE and INTERESTING!

Seems sensible. I do put a lot more into cooking that just basic sustenance (know you were just making a point :-D ) -- I like to challenge myself and cook new and exciting dishes when I can (unfortunately, work and other commitments (MBA apps) don't afford me time to test 2 new recipes a week, but when I do get time I might spend a whole day in the kitchen), love classic French the best -- but, still, how do you work this into the Wharton hobbies section? They give you four entries to fill in: Club/organization, Positions held, Start date/end date, and # hrs per week. There is no room for explanation, other than 250 characters for all your hobbies combined to explain which activity you enjoy the most and why. Is it bad to just leave the hobbies/interests section blank entirely and depend only on the more formal ECs listed in the activities section? I would like to show some of my other interests outside of work to highlight a multifaceted personality, beyond what I will be writing in one of my essays (which conveys just one of my personal passions), but seems like this is the only place to do so (no room on my resume, and even if I did have room I frankly think it a little amateurish to list hobbies on a professional resume). Might just end up scrapping the whole section, though.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  81   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts