Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: London Business School Masters in Management Q&A [#permalink]
Hi, Stanley
So glad to see your post. would you plz evaluate my profile?
Im planning to apply for 2013 session, now working on IELTS.
I mayjor in hospitality management, had 4 internship before (one international) and started my business of conference organization from this year.
As for extracurricular, I was president of dancing association, student living assistant, and did some voluntary work.
But my GMAT only get 690, GPA:3.4/4.0, both are kind of low :(
one more question: do you think I should take GMAT again?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To be honest with you, I can't really evaluate profiles, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Your work experience is fine, so are your grades. I know people from my class with scores lower than yours. You may want to create a theme, and link everything else to that theme (especially the essays). As of now, I see there is a nice link between your degree and your start-up, but not so much with the ECs. You may want to spin those experience around so they don't seem to be random. Most applicants will have similar profiles to yours, so use your essays wisely.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey mate - thanks for offering your help.

Three questions:

1) If I wanted to start in the Sep of 2014...when is the earliest I can apply? I know they said something like before May 31 2014 is preferred...but really when is the earliest? e.g.: can I apply in 2013 for the sep 2014 intake/

2) How do you compare the MiM to the MBA programs across the world. I am only 21, so a program like Mim is probably more suited to the younger population, but then there are programs like HBS 2+2 etc. Is it as good as a substitute?

3) If you come straight out of an undergrad - then finishing the Mim do you apply for associated roles (even if you are only 23-24) or do you still apply for the analyst roles (in places like Bain etc)

Thanks mate,

N
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1) For the 2014 intake, I believe you can start applying from September 2013.
2) MiM is a mini MBA. Its targeted audience are recent grads without work experience. The employment outlook, thus, is different. HBS 2+2 is a very good alternative to a MiM program.
3) You'll be applying to Analyst roles most of the time. (Unless you apply to local offices of smaller firms)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dnguyen89 wrote:
To be honest with you, I can't really evaluate profiles, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Your work experience is fine, so are your grades. I know people from my class with scores lower than yours. You may want to create a theme, and link everything else to that theme (especially the essays). As of now, I see there is a nice link between your degree and your start-up, but not so much with the ECs. You may want to spin those experience around so they don't seem to be random. Most applicants will have similar profiles to yours, so use your essays wisely.

Best of luck,

Thank you so much! really appreciate your help :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 12-22-2012
Send PM
hey...i hav got 65% in electronics&telecommunications engineering.....nd i wl be undertaking gmat exam in december.
I hav worked in TATA motors for 4mnths...nd i hav total work exp of approx 1 year and workd with an NGO for 6 mnths...and aiming for LBS....MIM...is der a gud chance f getting it...??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
With the way you write English, pretty slim :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I'm an Asian student applying to the MiM for Sep 2013 - First class degree in Economics and fairly decent ECs(Debate Society President, Volunteered for 2 years at a sport based NGO, Theatre Society Secretary, Active Member of the E-Cell etc) and 750 on the GMAT.

I was wondering if you could tell me how the job scene looks for non-EUs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To be honest, here's what it looks like:

- There is very little finance recruiting. Big banks are not hiring. You'll have smaller firms coming on campus like Nomura, Lazard, and Evercore, but if you want to work for Goldman or MS, you have to either apply for the summer internship or apply back to your country.

- Consulting is the most popular choice right now, as the finance folks switching to MBB. As you can imagine the competition is fierce. As far as I know, you'll have a much higher chance of getting hire if you apply to your home country. A good thing for big consulting firms is that after 1 or 2 year, you can apply for a permanent transfer to another office.

- Top business development jobs are also tough to get into. Most strategy programs only hire 1 or 2 people a year.

If you can get one of those top jobs, you'll have your visa taken care of by HR.

For smaller firms, it's a lot harder to get visa sponsorship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for that - I'm debating on the value of it, because if I do get in and attend the program, it'll be a massive investment and I'm not sure the investment looks worth it, with what you're saying. Some thinking for me, then. Thanks again :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Hey dnguyen89,

Thanks for the Q&A post. I have another post with similar questions but still waiting for answers, so in the meanwhile, I'm wondering if you know any of these.

GPA/GMAT/Work experience/Resume/References, what matter the most? What are they looking for in order to give you an offer?

Honestly I don't have 3.5/4 CGPA with my BA. Is that what they are primarily looking at? Does 700+ GMAT score help?
Although I'm a recent grad, I also have voluntary and work experience and I am a owner+manager of two small businesses (one underway). Do you think that helps with the application?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
GPA/GMAT/Work experience/Resume/References, what matter the most? What are they looking for in order to give you an offer?

Honestly I don't have 3.5/4 CGPA with my BA. Is that what they are primarily looking at? Does 700+ GMAT score help?
Although I'm a recent grad, I also have voluntary and work experience and I am a owner+manager of two small businesses (one underway). Do you think that helps with the application?

Hi aquax,

Personally I think what matters most is the synergy of all the elements you listed above. They want someone with a convincing story. With that in mind, a 3.0 GPA means different things for different applicants. For example, if you are the first generation in college and you work 3 jobs to support your education, your 3.0 GPA will look stronger than if you spend all your time in the library and still have a 3.0.

You seem to have a lot of extra-curriculum experiences, which is unconventional and quite unique. I would advise you to tailor your application to highlight those experiences. 700+ GMAT will definitely helps as well.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dnguyen89 wrote:
Quote:

Hi aquax,

Personally I think what matters most is the synergy of all the elements you listed above. They want someone with a convincing story. With that in mind, a 3.0 GPA means different things for different applicants. For example, if you are the first generation in college and you work 3 jobs to support your education, your 3.0 GPA will look stronger than if you spend all your time in the library and still have a 3.0.

You seem to have a lot of extra-curriculum experiences, which is unconventional and quite unique. I would advise you to tailor your application to highlight those experiences. 700+ GMAT will definitely helps as well.

Best of luck,

Thanks for the advise! Good luck to your studies too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Stanley,

I applied to the LBS MiM last week, and received notification four days later that I have been shortlisted for an interview. I was wondering if you have any comments about the interview process. What types of questions should I expect? How much does the interview matter in terms of securing an offer?

Lastly, I'm also somewhat curious about the turn-around time on my application, as I was not expecting to hear back for at least a couple of weeks. Does the quick reply signal that they really liked my application, or do you think it's more due to the fact that I applied relatively early? (Not sure if you can answer this one, but worth a shot).

Anyway I'm super excited for getting to this stage and really hope that my interview goes well. So any feedback on your experience at this stage in your application would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

R
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Collingwood91 wrote:
Hi Stanley,

I applied to the LBS MiM last week, and received notification four days later that I have been shortlisted for an interview. I was wondering if you have any comments about the interview process. What types of questions should I expect? How much does the interview matter in terms of securing an offer?

Lastly, I'm also somewhat curious about the turn-around time on my application, as I was not expecting to hear back for at least a couple of weeks. Does the quick reply signal that they really liked my application, or do you think it's more due to the fact that I applied relatively early? (Not sure if you can answer this one, but worth a shot).

Anyway I'm super excited for getting to this stage and really hope that my interview goes well. So any feedback on your experience at this stage in your application would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

R

Hey,

Although I can't answer your questions, I feel excited for you! Hope everything goes well on your interview process!
I am also interested in applying in the future (probably one or two years later). So I am wondering what is your profile looks like.
Congrats and good luck with the interview!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
hi guys!
This is Mohit from India, and I am working on my LBS MiM application these days.
@dnguyen89 : can you please help me with some pointers about the 5th essay prompt about " Biggest Contribution to MiM Class"?
. How did you approach this one? probably throw some light on what the Adcom is looking for here..as in what direction!

Thanx in Advance!

Cheers!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Mohit, for the fifth essay, think about your personal strengths and character traits. Pick two or three and explain how you have demonstrated these during your life. This is what I did, and I received an interview.

I hope that helps :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts