Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Timing Strategies on the GMAT [#permalink]
nice one :wink:..its really helpul for students who are perparing for gmat ...rreallyy good effort i m really impress... 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
My current Verbal timings on an average are close to:
100+ seconds for SC
120-150 seconds for CR
6-7 minutes for Short Passages with 3Q
8-10 minutes for Long Passages with 4Q

But i feel Bunnel's strategy seems more promising for improved accuracy in RC.

I end up doing total 3-5 wrong (out of 13-14 Q's) in RC if i try to achieve:

6-7 minutes for Short Passages with 3Q
8-10 minutes for Long Passages with 4Q

but only 1-2 errors (out of 13-14 Q's) if i spend:

8-10 minutes for Short Passages with 3Q
9-11 minutes for Long Passages with 4Q

I am trying to save time on CR and SC easy Q' and hoping to save time for RC for improved score.
This also depends what improvement i can do to my CR and SC timing in next 10 days or so.

Is that a sound plan?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks a lot. These suggestions are really helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
I took my first proper practice test today (MGMAT free test) and really screwed up my timing on quant - i answered only 30 questions! Finished verbal with 10 minutes remaining and did alright but i got so agitated towards to end. ended up with 670, which is way below my target of 720. I have 15 days left to improve. Wish me luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Great thread BB .. My strategy for Verbal is to look at the stimulus, then the stem and conceptualize what the correct answer should look like (great for CR and RC) . For SC i try to devote 10 seconds or so to find the mistakes in the original sentence (superficial) and then give my self 20 or so seconds to short list the answer choices that correct the mistakes i have found. I then give my self around 20 seconds to choose the best answer from the ones that are left. I can usually narrow it down to 2 or 3 choices within the first 20-30 seconds. Then based on the difficulty level it takes me any where from 20 seconds to a minute to choose the correct answer. For RC i hit high accuracy in the problems from the OG12 (90%) by reading the passage in detail and answering each question, however i found out that i could sacrifice a little accuracy and save a lot of time by using the Kaplan method of paraphrasing the paragraphs and skimming through the details (concentrating on modifiers etc ).. I have attempted a good number of question using both techniques and am confident with both so i guess i can use either depending on time that i have left during the actual test. Does the RC passage adapt as per difficulty or does each individual question also adapt on the same passage ?

What bothers me is the DIFFICULTY of the questions in the verbal section (and i guess this also applies to the quant section) . Suppose i answer 4 out of the first 6 questions correctly, when will the COMPUTER start to consistently dish out 700+ questions and would it ever plateau ? Is it correct to assume that one starts off with say a 550 level question and then their is a gradual buildup to 700 say by halfway through the section? It would really suck to have all 700 level questions throughout the rest of the section if you get 5 out of the first 5 correct (suck in terms of time management - obviously the eventual score if one does manage to stay focused, on time and hit the accuracy rate so desired - would be great).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V25
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Timing Strategies on the GMAT
Right now this strategy mostly focuses on Math but it is a work in progress. I will keep this post updated and will include any other verbal/math tips that I may find on the forum or hear about from you.

General Timing Concepts:
Bad news: you have to answer a variety of questions within 75 minutes.
Good News: You can manage your time yourself, deciding how to invest it.

Almost all the problems that are given on the GMAT are not that hard. What makes it hard to solve them is that you have less than 2 minutes per problem regardless of the kind and difficulty level.

Simple GMAT Timing Strategies:
  • Use a GMAT Timer by Walker.

• On the math section, after reading a question and before starting to solve it - stop for 5 seconds and instead of fully engaging yourself, take a casual look at it and think if an easier solution exists. Don't just rely on your reflexes, use your brain too.

• Know by heart the common percent values, square roots, powers, and fractions. This will allow you to save time on calculations - see this post for details: what-arithmetic-should-i-memorize-80128.html

• Avoid guessing 2 questions in a row. If pressed for time - solve every other question instead of guessing the last 3.

"Advanced" Timing Strategies (not as easy and potentially less efficient):
  • Don't spend your time looking at the clock - instead do it 3 times only - that will save you at least 5-10 secons that you were going to use up and also a lot of worrying about not finishing on time. Try dividing the math part into three sections (50 mins remaining – 12 questions done; 25 mins remaining – 25 questions done; 1 min remaining –37 questions done). This approach is designed to invest as much time as possible into the first 15 questions. I have followed this approach on the GMAT with some success. When I was done with 18 questions, I only had 33 minutes left. (I spent 2 and a half minutes per question on the first section) , I realized that I still had a half of the questions to go.

• You need to be prepared that the timing will not go as you wish; you may get a hard start or a few questions in a row that will get you down, but you need to be flexible and adjust to the test, just as the test tries to adjust to you.

• Take an "ideal" test — that's a test on which if you don't answer a question within 2 minutes, you simply move on. I did take one, and what I did was guess when I was overtime on hard questions. My results that day, perhaps, were the lowest of all, but it allowed me to finish early and measure the time I had left as an "extra" time for hard questions

• If you encounter a hard question that you are not sure how to solve - be happy - you must be doing really well. The key is not to get paralized but after taking 5 secons to evaluate your options start cracking at it - it will give in.

• After reading the question, it may help to review the answer choices with the following thoughts in mind: how far apart is the distribution (how precise the calculations need to be), potential tricks with answers such as \(\frac{1}{2}\) or \(\frac{-1}{2}\).

• Know when it is the time to move on. Use GMAT Timer or test results to measure time taken to answer each question. You need to know the longest time spent on a question; the longest time spent on incorrectly answered questions, and the longest time spent on correctly answered questions. These should NEVER be more than three or three and a half minutes. If you use 3.5 minutes, you are using almost double the time you have for each question, and will need to save time on the next 3 or 4 questions.

Quant Summary:
    1. Read through the question (take 5 seconds to look at it and the answer choices)
    2. See if you can apply any of the time saving techniques or quicker solutions
    3. Read again and write out all the info you will need to answer the question (this helped me)
    4. Do not miss an important detail in the beginning of the question - this is a common catch in both Math and CR's
    6. If you are too stressed about time, and the test’s got you on the run, take away your eyes from the screen and try focusing them on your hands or the seam of your pants to regain your confidence
    7. Know how to solve every math question type (arithmetic, probability, word problems, etc)
    8. Before you go to the test center - take several full length tests with AWA. Know your limits - be realistic. Know how much you can spend on each question

Verbal Timing Strategies on the GMAT

You will need to define your own timing strategy on the verbal section since your timing on each of the questions types will depend on your proficiencies, reading speed, grammar skills, etc.

Sentence Correction (SC)
My personal strategy was to spend 45 seconds on SC's (read question once, identify the problem, phrase it in my mind, and find the correct answer that matched the one I made up). Usually I could hit these in 30-45 seconds and in 20% of cases needed as much as a minute and a half to identify the correct one (this was more usual when A was the correct choice).

Critical Reasoning (CR)
I spent 1:30 on each CR question. I could crack half of them in 30-45 seconds but the other half took closer to 2 minutes, so it was averaging about 1:30.

Reading Comprehension (RC)
All of this was building up towards the section I had the most problems with - reading comprehension. I knew that I needed 45 x 15 for SC's, 1:30 x 14 for CR's and that left 40 minutes for RC, which meant I could spend 10 minutes per passage. I would read the passage very carefully and spend probably 5-6 minutes doing and not feeling rushed as I knew I could read any passage in that period of time. After finishing the text, I knew I had 1 minute for each question so I did not need to rush either. On the Verbal, I did not really keep track of the clock when moving from question to question, but I would note the time when I start the RC passage and made sure I did not go over the alotted time by the end.

Time-saving tools/ideas for Verbal GMAT Section
  • Draw a grid on the scratch paper (A | B | C | D | E) for 5-10 questions and use it with hard verbal questions. (Make sure you do this during your break time or when the clock is not ticking). Then on the test, as soon as you eliminated an answer choice (for whatever reason, mark it on the piece of paper - esp helpful by the end of the verbal section when the brain can no longer function).
  • For SC, create a check-list of grammar topics that you most often fall for. For instance, if you have trouble with modifiers, run-on sentences, and plurals, make sure those are on top of your check-list to run through when you cannot identify a problem with SC (i.e. when A is the correct answer). Here is more details about options to create such list: distribution-of-sc-questions-strategy-85636.html
  • Remember that the most time efficient strategy to approach questions is outlined in the guidebooks (Kaplan Verbal Workbook, MGMAT CR, MGMAT SC, MGMAT RC, GMAT Pill E-book and PowerScore CR, PowerScore SC, PowerScore Verbal Bible) - the basic strategies are all pretty similar in these guidebooks - FOLLOW them by the book, and by ever line. If the strategy says you need to re-read the question, that's what you do, and if it says you must read the question first - that's what you do as well. I see people making this mistake all the time - they try to cut corners and beat the system only to get mediocre inconsistent results
  • The best strategies for me were:
    • CR - read the question first and mark on a piece of paper the type of question (W for weaken, S for strengthen, A for assumption, etc)
    • CR - after reading the passage - read the question again and answer it WITHOUT reading answer choices - BEST TIP EVER (if I had to pick one). After that, you only have to find it in the list - very quick and efficient. Learn how to do this.
    • SC - the fastest strategy is to pick an error just from reading (without having to go through answer choices) then again, you are just picking from a list - faster than analyzing each answer choice (though possible only sometimes)
    • RC - paraphrase each paragraph, take notes as you go - helps to remember the text and not go back
    • RC - spend more time reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and ask yourself - why was this sentence/paragraph placed here? What is author driving with it? Are you seeing any logical issues/flaws with it?
    • RC - don't go back to the text (if you have read it carefully - you will not have to) - fastest and most reliable way through RC
  • I find reading a few thousand pages a good way to prepare to and save time on the verbal section:
    • You read faster - helps with every section
    • Better digest large volume of text - helps with RC
    • Your ear is trained better - helps with finding errors in SC's
    • You're a less boring person to talk to :wink:
  • Make sure you know the idioms GMAT Idoms test and Idioms list (search for idiom in text) or use ToolKit Apple App
  • If you are an international student, it is a good idea to know every word that you meet in the question text. Write them in a notebook - word, and definition with an example of how you encountered it. It takes time, but by the time you're done with one word, you will remember it

Hi,

I took GMAT on March 12, 2012. Before that i used to complete maths session with 3-4 minutes to spare and scored an average of 42. But unfortunately on the test day, i got few questions wrong at first and got tensed and finished the test with 15 mins to spare and got a pitiful 32.

Then i start practicing harder questions from OG's without concentrating more on time but on solving the questions and understanding the concepts. For those questions i took almost 2 - 3 minutes to solve. Now when i am again taking tests i feel it very difficult to finish within the time. I have almost 10 questions to finish within last 5 mins , and i am randomly guessing last 5-6 questions.Now, more than the concepts timing became the problem.

When i reviewed, i found for 2 or 3 questions i spent nearly 6-7 mins. But i am not aware of how much time i am spending in each question when i am writing the exam.For some questions it took 2 mins for me to find a way, and i am also aware that it took another 2 mins to solve the problem. I dont know how to respond to those situations. Will you please advise ?

Regards
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi experts,

i want to know how much i might have been penalized for not able to attempt last 5 questions on quant?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
I missed the last question on verbal and got a 550 : 27V 39 Q despite in all my mocks I was scoring in the 600s ..how much penalty is this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
Any timing strategies for verbal when I have 2 RCs between Q32 and Q41?

I was giving GMAT PREP 2 and found myself behind on verbal and started catching up but ended with 2 RC in the final nine questions.. ended random guessing and got me only V28 :-( and the score dropped to 660 with 2 consecutive 3 wrongs..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
My first post here. And here it goes - Is there any bonus mark awarded in GMAT if one completes before time?? ( Given that there is heavy penalty for blank submission)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Hi BB,

How did you manage 45 sec per SC question?
This is less than half of what I take..especially now when SC are meaning based and hard to figure out the splits.
Any advise

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi
I am facing serious issues with time management.
MGMAT 1 - 640
MGMAT 2 - 680
MGMAT 3 - 640

My accuracy level is good (right/number of q attempted) but the issue is that in quant and verbal,I am unable to attempt ~ last 8-9 questions coz of time paucity.
Any suggestions as how to improvise on speed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
sshivanis04 wrote:
Hi
I am facing serious issues with time management.
MGMAT 1 - 640
MGMAT 2 - 680
MGMAT 3 - 640

My accuracy level is good (right/number of q attempted) but the issue is that in quant and verbal,I am unable to attempt ~ last 8-9 questions coz of time paucity.
Any suggestions as how to improvise on speed.

High accuracy is a very good sign, i have had similar timing issues. trying to rush answering questions , in general, can only hurt the accuracy. I've started using timing map since then, and have generally improved on timing . few things to improve timing
1) know your weakness ( in terms of what kind of questions take too long or generally wrong )
2) build timing map during breaks / before the mock
3) avoid looking at timer frequently , and check time during the checkpoints defined in the timing map
4) calculate lead / lag at the checkpoint and determine if you've to throwaway / guess any question and how many
5) keep an eye on the question types from #1 and throw/ guess them (depending on the lag, it's sometimes good to give it a wild guess within first 10 seconds, but if it's manageable , giving it a few seconds and good guess is better )

And here's the best resource you can get about timing . I found it very useful.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... anagement/
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
shraddhasahoo wrote:
cAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME GOOD TIMING STATERGIES FOR GMAT TEST?

Please dont use CAPS a sentence looks nice in small.

Regarding your query check the 1st page of this thread..timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

PS- Its a good idea to post all your queries(especially general gmat questions) in single post rather than posting them in different forums and threads.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bb wrote:

Timing Strategies on the GMAT

Updated Jan 2014

General Timing Strategies:

Almost all the problems that are given on the GMAT are not that hard. What makes it hard to solve them is that you have less than 2 minutes per problem regardless of the kind and difficulty level. However, you can give yourself an advantage by preparing and saving or investing time where appropriate.

• Time yourself whenever you solve any questions. Whether you are solving 10 or just 1 question, make sure you are familiar with the ticking of the clock and pressure that it puts on you. You can use a variety of tools such as:

• Try to Pause after reading a question. Esp. on the math section, after reading a question and before starting to solve it - stop for 5 seconds and instead of fully engaging yourself, take a casual look at it and think if an easier solution exists. Don't just rely on your reflexes, use your brain too. This trick will help you save time and also avoid some silly mistakes you may make by rushing to read the question.

• Avoid guessing 2 questions in a row. If pressed for time - solve every other question instead of guessing the last 3. You can see what happens if you get multiple questions in a row wrong here: gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

• Never ever ever spend more than 3.5 minutes on a single question. After 3 minutes, if you still can't see a solution, figure out an alternative approach, or start a guessing strategy. Be done by 3.5 - it will hurt even with 3.5 mins and I would recommend that you do it only once per section.

• You need to be prepared that the timing will not go as you wish; you may get a hard start or a few questions in a row that will get you down, but you need to be flexible and adjust to the test, just as the test tries to adjust to you. Plan to be stuck. Plan to be fraked out. Plan to panic. Don't do it but have a plan for all of these situations. Know when it is time to cut bait.

• If you have problems with timing - experiment! For example, you can take a test on which if you don't answer a question within 2 minutes, you simply move on. I took one like that, and what I did was guess when I was overtime on hard questions. My results that day, perhaps, were the lowest of all, but it allowed me to finish early and measure the time I had left as an "extra" time for hard questions. Another test you can take is "untimed" (some software simulators allow it) and take the time I needed on every question - this showed how much time i comfortably needed.

• Don't spend your time looking at the clock or turning it on and off - instead check the clock 3 times only during the 75 min section - this will save you at least 30 secondss that you were going to use up and also a lot of worrying about not finishing on time. Try dividing the test into three sections (45 mins remaining – 12 questions done; 20 mins remaining – 25 questions done; 1 min remaining –37 questions done). This approach is designed to invest as much time as possible into the first 15 questions since you will most likely get stuck there or will need extra time to solve questions. You can experiment with your own time allocations on GMAT Prep or other tests.

• Finally, an obvious one - do not leave questions unanswered. Each unanswered question drops your score by 3 percentile points as confirmed by GMAC

Quant Timing Strategies

• Know by heart the common percent values, square roots, powers, and fractions. This will allow you to save time on calculations - see this post for details: what-arithmetic-should-i-memorize-80128.html

• If you encounter a hard question that you are not sure how to solve - be happy - you must be doing really well and on the right track. Celebrate and don't freak out. Take a pause and think of an un-usual/backsolving/etc solution to it.

• After reading the question, it may help to review the answer choices with the following thoughts in mind: how far apart is the distribution (how precise the calculations need to be), potential tricks with answers such as \(\frac{1}{2}\) or \(\frac{-1}{2}\).

Quant Question Approach in Short:

1. Read through the question (take 5 seconds to look at it and the answer choices)
    2. See if you can apply any of the time saving techniques or quicker solutions
    3. Optional: Read the setup again and write out all the info you will need to answer the question (this helped me)
    4. Do not miss an important detail in the beginning of the question - this is a common catch in both Math and CR's
    6. If you are too stressed about time, and the test’s got you on the run, take away your eyes from the screen and try focusing them on your hands or the seam of your pants to regain your confidence
    7. Know how to solve every math question type (arithmetic, probability, word problems, etc)
    8. Before you go to the test center - take several full length tests with AWA. Know your limits - be realistic. Know how much you can spend on each question

Verbal Timing Strategies on the GMAT

You will need to define your own timing strategy on the verbal section since your timing on each of the questions types will depend on your proficiency, reading speed, grammar skills, etc.

• Draw a grid on the scratch paper (A | B | C | D | E) for 5-10 questions and use it with hard verbal questions. (Make sure you do this during your break time or when the clock is not ticking). Then on the test, as soon as you eliminated an answer choice (for whatever reason, mark it on the piece of paper - esp helpful by the end of the verbal section when the brain can no longer function).

• For SC, create a check-list of grammar topics that you most often fall for. For instance, if you have trouble with modifiers, run-on sentences, and plurals, make sure those are on top of your check-list to run through when you cannot identify a problem with SC (i.e. when A is the correct answer). Here is more details about options to create such list: distribution-of-sc-questions-strategy-85636.html

• Get a handle on Scope, Assumptions, Inference, Conclusions. If you can master these, you will be able to save at least 5 minutes on the GMAT, and probably pick up as many as 5 points in your verbal score. Many answer choices are based on within/outside of scope - that's true for CR's and RC's. The same applies to assumptions, inference, and conclusions - many of the CR and RC questions are using these basic step stops to build questions and traps. If you can be flawless with these, you will be much better off. You the OG/Official questions to train your SCOPE ear.

• Remember that the most time efficient strategy to approach questions is outlined in the guidebooks (Kaplan Verbal Workbook, MGMAT CR, MGMAT SC, MGMAT RC, GMAT Pill E-book and PowerScore CR, PowerScore SC, PowerScore Verbal Bible) - the basic strategies are all pretty similar in these guidebooks - FOLLOW them by the book, and by ever line. If the strategy says you need to re-read the question, that's what you do, and if it says you must read the question first - that's what you do as well. I see people making this mistake all the time - they try to cut corners and beat the system only to get mediocre inconsistent results

• The best strategies for me were:
    • CR - read the question first and mark on a piece of paper the type of question (W for weaken, S for strengthen, A for assumption, etc)
    • CR - after reading the passage - read the question again and answer it WITHOUT reading answer choices - BEST TIP EVER (if I had to pick one). After that, you only have to find it in the list - very quick and efficient. Learn how to do this.
    • SC - the fastest strategy is to pick an error just from reading (without having to go through answer choices) then again, you are just picking from a list - faster than analyzing each answer choice (though possible only sometimes)
    • RC - paraphrase each paragraph, take notes as you go - helps to remember the text and not go back
    • RC - spend more time reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and ask yourself - why was this sentence/paragraph placed here? What is author driving with it? Are you seeing any logical issues/flaws with it?
    • RC - don't go back to the text (if you have read it carefully - you will not have to) - fastest and most reliable way through RC
  • I find reading a few thousand pages a good way to prepare to and save time on the verbal section:
    • You read faster - helps with every section
    • Better digest large volume of text - helps with RC
    • Your ear is trained better - helps with finding errors in SC's
    • You're a less boring person to talk to :wink:
  • Don't waste too much time on Idioms as they are not emphasized in the GMAT any more, but know the common ones that will help you understand text better
  • If you are an international student, it is a good idea to know every word that you meet in the question text. Write them in a notebook - word, and definition with an example of how you encountered it. It takes time, but by the time you're done with one word, you will remember it

Verbal Question Approach in Short:

Sentence Correction (SC)
My personal strategy was to spend 45 seconds on SC's (read question once, identify the problem, phrase it in my mind, and find the correct answer that matched the one I made up). Usually I could hit these in 30-45 seconds and in 20% of cases needed as much as a minute and a half to identify the correct one (this was more usual when A was the correct choice).

Critical Reasoning (CR)
I spent 1:30 on each CR question. I could crack half of them in 30-45 seconds but the other half took closer to 2 minutes, so it was averaging about 1:30.

Reading Comprehension (RC)
All of this was building up towards the section I had the most problems with - reading comprehension. I knew that I needed 0:45 x 15 for SC's, 1:30 x 14 for CR's and that left 40 minutes for RC, which meant I could spend 10 minutes per passage. I would read the passage very carefully and spend probably 5-6 minutes doing and not feeling rushed as I knew I could read any passage in that period of time. After finishing the text, I knew I had 1 minute for each question so I did not need to rush either. On the Verbal, I did not really keep track of the clock when moving from question to question, but I would note the time when I start the RC passage and made sure I did not go over the 10 min interval by the end.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
I gave the simulation test today. I was getting harder questions and i was sure that i would cross 700 mark . But to my surprise my score was merely 600 (q-48 and v-26).
I became hopeless after seeing the result after months of hard work on verbal.
On analysis i saw that i made mistake in last 4 questions of quant and last 11 questions on verbal section.
Verbal: I made only 9 mistakes till 30 questions and after that i lost the game. My concentration was poor. I started feeling something bad at back of my head. i was not able to find the solution of the solution.
I am worried about it.I know problem is with time management and lack of concentration at the end of test. Please suggest some ways to get away with this problem. i really need a help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
bb wrote:
Critical Reasoning (CR)

Hi bb, could you share how you can do this this fast? I spend 1.25-3+ mins.
Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5