Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618627 [564]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618627 [27]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Math: Triangles [#permalink]
A masterpiece Bunuel . Amazing summary of triangle proprties. Some Questions to have more clarity .

Are the medians equal in length in a scalene traingle ?

Does the centroid neccasarily have to be a center of circumcircle of a scalene triangle or in other words, does it mean that each triangle can be circumcircled ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Quote:
The SSA condition proves congruence if the angle is obtuse or right. In the case of the right angle (also known as the HL (Hypotenuse-Leg) condition or the RHS (Right-angle-Hypotenuse-Side) condition), we can calculate the third side and fall back on SSS.

For Obtuse angle also, above condition is true ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618627 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gottabwise wrote:
Does the orthocenter = the centroid and if so, is it safe to say that altitudes=medians?

Generally orthocenter and centroid are not the same point. Generally altitude does not equal to median.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618627 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
A masterpiece Bunuel . Amazing summary of triangle proprties. Some Questions to have more clarity .

Are the medians equal in length in a scalene traingle ?

Does the centroid neccasarily have to be a center of circumcircle of a scalene triangle or in other words, does it mean that each triangle can be circumcircled ?

Generally medians are not equal, so in scalene triangle medians are not equal.

Centroid is not the center of the circumscribed circle. (There was a typo in the text, edited.)

As for the circumscribed triangles: yes, any triangle can be circumscribed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Quote:
Usually called "half of base times height", the area of a triangle is given by the formula below.
• A=\frac{hb}{2}

Other formula:
• A=\frac{P*r}{2}

• A=\frac{abc}{4R}

Where b is the length of the base, a and c the other sides; h is the length of the corresponding altitude; R is the Radius of circumscribed circle; r is the radius of inscribed circle; P is the perimeter

Just to clarify, is P the perimeter of the circle or the triangle?
Quote:
• For an isosceles triangle with given length of equal sides right triangle (included angle) has the largest area.

Will u elaborate on this please? I'm not sure how this works.

Thanks a lot of the summary, very complete and succinct! :D
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bely202 wrote:
Quote:
Usually called "half of base times height", the area of a triangle is given by the formula below.
• A=\frac{hb}{2}

Other formula:
• A=\frac{P*r}{2}

• A=\frac{abc}{4R}

Where b is the length of the base, a and c the other sides; h is the length of the corresponding altitude; R is the Radius of circumscribed circle; r is the radius of inscribed circle; P is the perimeter

Just to clarify, is P the perimeter of the circle or the triangle?
Quote:
• For an isosceles triangle with given length of equal sides right triangle (included angle) has the largest area.

Will u elaborate on this please? I'm not sure how this works.

Thanks a lot of the summary, very complete and succinct! :D

1. P is the perimeter of the triangle.
2. For instance if we have an isosceles triangle with equal sides of 1, the area will be greatest when it is a right angled triangle (max area in this case would be 1/2).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Quote:
m=\sqrt{\frac{2b^2+2c^2-a^2}{4}}, where a, b and c are the sides of the triangle and a is the side of the triangle whose midpoint is the extreme point of median m.

What does extreme point of median m mean?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618627 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
knabi wrote:
Quote:
m=\sqrt{\frac{2b^2+2c^2-a^2}{4}}, where a, b and c are the sides of the triangle and a is the side of the triangle whose midpoint is the extreme point of median m.

What does extreme point of median m mean?

Extreme point is end point. All above means that median \(m\) is drawn to side \(a\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Isosceles triangle two sides are equal in length.

• An isosceles triangle also has two angles of the same measure; namely, the angles opposite to the two sides of the same length.
• To find the base given the leg and altitude, use the formula: \(B=2\sqrt{L^2-A^2}\)

• To find the leg length given the base and altitude, use the formula: \(L=\sqrt{A^2+(\frac{B}{2})^2}\)

• To find the leg length given the base and altitude, use the formula: \(A=\sqrt{L^2-(\frac{B}{2})^2}\) (Where: L is the length of a leg; A is the altitude; B is the length of the base)

hello Bunuel you said:

To find the leg length given the base and altitude, use the formula: A=\sqrt{L^2-(\frac{B}{2})^2} i believe you were supposed to say Altitude instead. ? right?

my question: is there specific formula for isosceles Area? somebody mentioned but i was no able to find the one.
thanks
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tinki wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Isosceles triangle two sides are equal in length.

• An isosceles triangle also has two angles of the same measure; namely, the angles opposite to the two sides of the same length.
• To find the base given the leg and altitude, use the formula: \(B=2\sqrt{L^2-A^2}\)

• To find the leg length given the base and altitude, use the formula: \(L=\sqrt{A^2+(\frac{B}{2})^2}\)

• To find the leg length given the base and altitude, use the formula: \(A=\sqrt{L^2-(\frac{B}{2})^2}\) (Where: L is the length of a leg; A is the altitude; B is the length of the base)

hello Bunuel you said:

To find the leg length given the base and altitude, use the formula: A=\sqrt{L^2-(\frac{B}{2})^2} i believe you were supposed to say Altitude instead. ? right?

my question: is there specific formula for isosceles Area? somebody mentioned but i was no able to find the one.
thanks

First of all: do not fully quote such big texts. Do as I edited know: quote only the specific part you are referring to.

Next, formula indicates Altitude=... so yes there was a typo. Thanks for spotting. Edited.

As for your question: you won't need any other formula for the area of an isosceles triangle but area=1/2*base*height. The are of isosceles right triangle is area=leg^2/2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM