Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
If I were to be rejected, when will I know - when they have decided not to send me an interview invite (by when do they finish inviting to interviews?) or on Dec 13 when they're going to announce final results for R1?

Will appreciate any insight on that front...

- DNA2013
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.68
WE:Analyst (Telecommunications)
Send PM
DNA2013 wrote:
If I were to be rejected, when will I know - when they have decided not to send me an interview invite (by when do they finish inviting to interviews?) or on Dec 13 when they're going to announce final results for R1?

Will appreciate any insight on that front...

- DNA2013

December 13 unless waitlisted
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
My interview happens in less than seven hours. I'm stoked! :-D

Anyone done with theirs?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
jason12e wrote:

Anyone done with theirs?

Good luck! Mine's not until the end of next month.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
skm wrote:
jason12e wrote:

Anyone done with theirs?

Good luck! Mine's not until the end of next month.

Mine got postponed due to Sandy...and should hopefully be on for next week via Skype -- let me know how the whole Skype thing goes!! & good luck!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks skm and mba2527!

I was actually afraid Hurricane Sandy would cause my interview to get moved. Will let you guys know how things turn out in a few minutes. ;)
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
jason12e wrote:
Thanks skm and mba2527!

I was actually afraid Hurricane Sandy would cause my interview to get moved. Will let you guys know how things turn out in a few minutes. ;)

Good luck!! Sending positive vibes your way :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....

Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.

I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...

That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...

God bless us all!

Thanks Jason - this is great advice! Sounds like it was fairly low-stress, right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
transitioning wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....

Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!

It's really difficult to say at the moment as late November is very far away. People say there is a lot of water in the tunnels right now with no estimate of when normal service will be coming back. Metro-North had its power knocked out. While New Haven is fine, the towns you travel through to get to New Haven (Westport, Fairfield, etc.) were hit very hard.

Airports - LGA is apparently underwater right now. If the water clears out, I think you're okay with either one - there are airport shuttles from LGA and JFK to Grand Central. You might want to book JFK just to be on the safe side since it's already reopened.

When there is normal service, trains run from Grand Central to New Haven about once every hour - sometimes every half-hour during peak times.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
skm wrote:
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

2. SELL yourself.

3. Sell YOURSELF

God bless us all!

Thanks Jason - this is great advice! Sounds like it was fairly low-stress, right?

Yup! Definitely nothing to stress about if you come in prepared and fully aware of what you want to share and communicate with the interviewer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

2. SELL yourself.

3. Sell YOURSELF

God bless us all!

Congrats! Sounds like it went really well, thanks for sharing your afterthoughts. The LI girl in me appreciates you speaking my language with Billy Joel lyrics ;)

I had a dream about b-school interviews last night, it felt so real. I'm hoping soon it will be!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I have mine scheduled in next 16 hours via Skype. Thanks for the inputs Jason.

How long did it last? Did you also wear a suit for skype interview?

Cheers again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
transitioning wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:

Hey, write me a message when you have your interview..I will fly over from Europe next week and have rented a car to go from NY to New Heaven... If your interview is on the same day, I can give you a ride...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
transitioning wrote:

All airports/trains should be fine by late November. (My guess is everything should be up and running again within the next 2 weeks. Mike Bloomberg will not have it any other way.)

LGA is closer to MetroNorth if you are willing to take the M60 bus to 125th and wait on the aboveground platform for the train. If not, JFK will take you a bit longer to get to Grand Central, (maybe another 20 - 30 mins). Trains typically run every 25-30 mins during peak hours, and once an hour at night.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vanishingnerd wrote:
I have mine scheduled in next 16 hours via Skype. Thanks for the inputs Jason.

How long did it last? Did you also wear a suit for skype interview?

Cheers again.

Mine lasted for about 30 mins. I wore a suit, as someone suggested here in this thread.

Good luck with your interview!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts