Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [49]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: 670 to 710 a long journey without destination :) still Happy [#permalink]
Congratulations man, you did it! Now, help me to finish it. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
Send PM
Congratulations Gurpreet! Well Done :) Really happy for you! \m/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
I know u thru gmatclub, I have seen your posts.....u are a fighter nd u fought well
congrats!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
many Congrats and i am sure you would have scored around 750 otherwise. It's the poor health that dropped your performance esp in verbal.
Very detailed debrief and i can understand the reason because you have so much of knowledge to share on how to beat the gmat and moreso how not to get beaten by it.
Thanx for sharing this awesome debrief.
Bookmarked.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
@gurpreet: great to see that you got a good score on the GMAT in spite your illness. As Maverick04308 said, you are a fighter and will do well on applications. I remember seeing you in egmat session and you shared some really good tips. I am sure you would have scored 40+ if you were well.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Send PM
ngould wrote:
This is one of the most extensive write-ups that I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing your experience. Congrats on breaking the 700 level. All you hard work paid off.

Thanks for the wishes :) ... yes the review is very big. I even cut it short to make it presentable.

willigetmylifeback wrote:
Congratulations man, you did it! Now, help me to finish it. :)

Thanks again.... Yes I m available 24/7...bug me anytime....

harshvinayak wrote:
Congratulations Gurpreet! Well Done :) Really happy for you! \m/

Thanks Harsh. So when are you retaking? Do retake if you got time else do apply. Time is very precious. Good luck bro.

Maverick04308 wrote:
I know u thru gmatclub, I have seen your posts.....u are a fighter nd u fought well
congrats!!

Thanks bro...... for the compliment.... :P

rajeevrks27 wrote:
many Congrats and i am sure you would have scored around 750 otherwise. It's the poor health that dropped your performance esp in verbal.
Very detailed debrief and i can understand the reason because you have so much of knowledge to share on how to beat the gmat and moreso how not to get beaten by it.
Thanx for sharing this awesome debrief.
Bookmarked.

Thanks Bro. Yes 750 Q51 V40 was my target :-D But I m happy with the current score under such condition, THANK GOD. At least I can apply to colleges with confidence. If they ask me to improve I will retake else I will keep this score. I hope my debrief will motivate you to take the exam with full courage.

pjolie wrote:
@gurpreet: great to see that you got a good score on the GMAT in spite your illness. As Maverick04308 said, you are a fighter and will do well on applications. I remember seeing you in egmat session and you shared some really good tips. I am sure you would have scored 40+ if you were well.

Thanks for your kind words. I hoped too for v40 3 days before my exam. But god gifted me with something more than what I could have got under such condition. What was your user name in egmat session?
I hope egmat helps u building strong verbal score At least > 40. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Gurpreet,

Congratulations. I must admit, if I were you, i would have fainted midway taking the examination thanks to my awful stamina !

Quote:
Take care of health. Do not let the health issues screw your MBA dream. regularly exercise. Do not have time? then visit this link boost-your-gmat-score-exercise-daily-102482.html

Hmm, now that is an awesome post coz it comes with videos ! I agree there are days when I went for a jog in the fresh air (there's an unused and old airport with lots of greenery nearby my home), I was pumping up with energy while travelling to work, while at work and while coming home from work in the evening. There were some aha moments when I feel rejuvenated and feel more energetic. But these days, especially post marriage, I hardly wake up early and miss on my exercise routine. ( Proof ? - I blew to 92 kgs from 76 kgs and feel flabbergasted). yes, I controlled my diet (its been ages since I had that cookie or delicious pastry) and eat more healthy now. I am around 86 now.

Thanks to your post, I am all motivated to start exercising. I need to boost my stamina, especially during the GMAT.(I know redbull gives you wings but still a good start on test day with lots of energy flowing around me definitely helps me to focus better and a dose of redbull will give the much needed push for you to perform at your peak !).

I just hope, GMAC wont come back and say my score is cancelled just beacuse I am caught positive on Dope test (Redbull test) ..... ;) (pun intended)

One major question for you ! I am planning to practice around 100 CR and 100 SC from Gmatprep collection floating around the forum.Instead, should I use the 200 quant and 180 verbal questions from gmatprep question pack 1 ? Does the verbal and quant questions better represent the actual gmat verbal and quant ?
I am holding on for your suggestion before I can buy the pack.

And finally, a 710 or 750 doesnot matter much to the adcom as long as your GMAT is around the school's average. So, there is no need to press the panic button as you well above 700. Its application that really is what that matters from now on ! I am sure you too are aware of this very fact but though I might just recall it if it helps in pacifying you in any way.

Thanks,
Igloo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
you will inspire a lot with your debrief great work. Congrats!!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
I read a lot of postings on GMAT club and this is one that has true value. I found your advice spot on for improving your score on the GMAT namely, your dedication and unwillingness to give up, your approach to practicing over 3,000 questions (I continually tell people that the best way to improve your score is to practice question after question), staying healthy (you would think this would be obvious, but many people run their bodies and brains into the ground overstudying or mis-studying) and lastly maintaining a balanced life (you simply cannot study GMAT related materials every waking hour of the day). Most important - is your heading which states that obtaining your desired score is often a long journey and it takes a huge investment in terms of time, energy and (unfortunately) money.

I hope that a lot of candidates struggling with their test read this and learn from your posting what it takes.

To you, I congratulate you and hope that you get into the school of your choice.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
nelz007 wrote:
you will inspire a lot with your debrief great work. Congrats!!

thanks nelz.... I will be very happy if my words help someone.... Gmat is neither easy nor difficult. It is a journey that everyone has to travel, but only difference is each starts at his own level.

ManhattanReview wrote:
I read a lot of postings on GMAT club and this is one that has true value. I found your advice spot on for improving your score on the GMAT namely, your dedication and unwillingness to give up, your approach to practicing over 3,000 questions (I continually tell people that the best way to improve your score is to practice question after question), staying healthy (you would think this would be obvious, but many people run their bodies and brains into the ground overstudying or mis-studying) and lastly maintaining a balanced life (you simply cannot study GMAT related materials every waking hour of the day). Most important - is your heading which states that obtaining your desired score is often a long journey and it takes a huge investment in terms of time, energy and (unfortunately) money.

I hope that a lot of candidates struggling with their test read this and learn from your posting what it takes.

To you, I congratulate you and hope that you get into the school of your choice.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Hi Kimberly, Thanks for your wishes and kind words :).... there is no alternative to hard work , but as u said life does not stop for anything so why shall we try to hault for gmat.... I really would advice every one to study in long term if they are full time working.
Not only it would make u less fatigued but also it would let u enjoy the normal life.

Start well before 6 months of your desire date and spend last month as sprint and first 5 as marathon. if you do reverse you lose the battle because the strategy is wrong. :P
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
igloo wrote:
Gurpreet,

Congratulations. I must admit, if I were you, i would have fainted midway taking the examination thanks to my awful stamina !

Hmm, now that is an awesome post coz it comes with videos ! I agree there are days when I went for a jog in the fresh air (there's an unused and old airport with lots of greenery nearby my home), I was pumping up with energy while travelling to work, while at work and while coming home from work in the evening. There were some aha moments when I feel rejuvenated and feel more energetic. But these days, especially post marriage, I hardly wake up early and miss on my exercise routine. ( Proof ? - I blew to 92 kgs from 76 kgs and feel flabbergasted). yes, I controlled my diet (its been ages since I had that cookie or delicious pastry) and eat more healthy now. I am around 86 now.

Thanks to your post, I am all motivated to start exercising. I need to boost my stamina, especially during the GMAT.(I know redbull gives you wings but still a good start on test day with lots of energy flowing around me definitely helps me to focus better and a dose of redbull will give the much needed push for you to perform at your peak !).

I just hope, GMAC wont come back and say my score is cancelled just beacuse I am caught positive on Dope test (Redbull test) ..... ;) (pun intended)

One major question for you ! I am planning to practice around 100 CR and 100 SC from Gmatprep collection floating around the forum.Instead, should I use the 200 quant and 180 verbal questions from gmatprep question pack 1 ? Does the verbal and quant questions better represent the actual gmat verbal and quant ?
I am holding on for your suggestion before I can buy the pack.

And finally, a 710 or 750 doesnot matter much to the adcom as long as your GMAT is around the school's average. So, there is no need to press the panic button as you well above 700. Its application that really is what that matters from now on ! I am sure you too are aware of this very fact but though I might just recall it if it helps in pacifying you in any way.

Thanks,
Igloo

Health should be the first priority. I do not want anyone to face the time I faced on my D day. It was only when I saw my score that I was relieved. In my case I was regularly doing exercise and jogging. I stopped everything 2 weeks before exam and suddenly fell ill for which I have no reason. Since it was destined for me so I accept it gracefully. But we all must try to live normal life and cut short useless activities to spare time for Gmat.

if you are married then I must salute u to even consider gmat prep as part of life. And I can understand why you are exhausted in the morning.

Make sure you take some herbal supplements ( ONLY HERBAL not synthetic supplements) to make sure physically you do not have any deficiency. Marriage life drains you well physically and mentally. Exercise and healthy diet should be your part. You can contact me on PM, I can advice u some useful herbs that help improving health and are actually recommended by traditional practioners.
You must enjoy desert once a week. Do not stop things completely just reduce them. Life need balance, not strict rules.

In my first attempt I gave all my CAT at home with a redbul and followed the same during my real Gmat. I made sure this time I won't rely on redbul. Instead I took banana and Honey. They give good amount of natural sugars required by brain. Caffein in redbul may help temporary but it disturbs the synchronization of your body and mind. If you need energy drink? Just mix some RAW honey and water. See the difference. The honey must be raw and pure. I bought the honey that tested before hand and I was sure is pure.
Honey+water is very potent anti-bacterial and I attribute some +ve effects during exam to honey as I was not taking any medication for my stomach upset+ throat infection + fever.

BUY the pack right now. No need to delay. If you believe me buy it today. The pack really represent the true picture of Gmat. Do not do the questions of gmatprep tests unless u complete the test. Why to lose the opportunity to lose the chance to evaluate yourself? Gmatprep is the true indicator of your performance.
I got v38 in both the exams and 50 51 in quant resp. So see how close my performance was. So it is a true indicator of your performance.

I m not sure how long you will be preparing. But the last 2 months should be spend only on official material. PERIOD. No question, not even single from non official content. There are many official questions. OG's OG verbal OG quant. Prep pack..... u can reset the test and give multiple times.... plus I guess there is another quant question pack too of gmac..m not sure how good it is.
So in addition to above practice just revise your concepts and mistakes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1174 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Hi Gurpreet
Congrats for 700+.... Best of luck for applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Gurpreet,

Great debrief and some great tips. Congrats on your great score! It is commendable that you put all the issues like illness and not being able to revise behind and went ahead and took the test. Not sure if many of us can do that.

So to add to your "materials used this time" list, determination and motivation should be #1 on your list followed by the other essentials! Can't emphasize the importance of those two enough.

Wish you good luck for the applications!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nis123 wrote:
its a very nice writeup!!

Thanks a lot for your appreciation. I hope it helps.

SOURH7WK wrote:
Hi Gurpreet
Congrats for 700+.... Best of luck for applications.

Thanks SD for the wishes. How about you? applying or retaking?

liarish wrote:
Gurpreet,

Great debrief and some great tips. Congrats on your great score! It is commendable that you put all the issues like illness and not being able to revise behind and went ahead and took the test. Not sure if many of us can do that.

So to add to your "materials used this time" list, determination and motivation should be #1 on your list followed by the other essentials! Can't emphasize the importance of those two enough.

Wish you good luck for the applications!

Thanks for the wishes. My body was not ready but my mind and my faith in god pushed me through the battle. It is very important to have confidence in your preparation and faith in God. I agree with you regarding the importance of determination and motivation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations &amp; General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering &amp; Construction
Send PM
Gurpreet paaji...
fatte chak dete....!!! (To Non-Punjabis - it means INCREDIBLE FEAT)

That debrief is one of the most inspiring one which I have read in all my GMATprep time.
We all know motivation and determination can do wonders, but it is the feat achieved by you (Cracking GMAT in less than 80% fitness) that set examples for fellow gclubians to emulate.

Thanks for becoming an inspiration for me, I am really going to follow your approach of spreading the GMAT prep in 6 months. Till 2 weeks before I was working hard to write GMAT at Nov-end, but after reading your success story I truelly believe GMAT can not be fooled in 2 months. It is an exam of nerves, of adaptability and of logic all these 3 things together cant be improved in haste. Those people who crack GMAT in first attempt at 740+ belong to the other breed, but those like us (<670 scorers) who spend a lot of their lives on GMAT prep but still do not get past 7XX barrier should really take a lot of inspiration from you.

Good luck for yur apps. May you get the best that you desire.

TOPIC BOOKMARKED !!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
dude great stuff man.... All the very best for your apps. All will fall in its place. :D

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MENSA India
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 4: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Gurpreet paaji!
Wonderful news. Really appreciate your efforts...

It's a special post for me because I will take on the beast for the 3rd time tomorrow!
After gaining so much inspiration from your post, I will also be able to perform on the G-DAY :D

Good luck with your application process (both to B-schools and prospective life-partners ;)

Cheers,
Prasad
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts