Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Marshall 2013 (USC) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Well for example, if you got the Presidential Medal of freedom, or were written up in The Wall Street Journal, you might upload a scan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
unfortnately no medals. I wish. Sounds like advice is dont touch. I've got inconsistent answers from admissions.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aweme wrote:
unfortnately no medals. I wish. Sounds like advice is dont touch. I've got inconsistent answers from admissions.

Yeah, I don't have any formal awards or medals worth uploading either so I'm not going to worry about this section. At first, I thought this was the standard "Optional Essay" area but this is listed as the last question on the essay prompts. I would rather not create extra work for the admissions committee when reviewing my application unless the additional material adds substantial value my profile.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Found a couple write-ups on the analysis of the new 2013 Marshal essay questions:

https://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/10/usc- ... 2012-2013/
https://blog.accepted.com/2012/10/11/usc ... ines-tips/

I ended up spending the majority of last weekend revising and honing these essays. With a total of 2000 words over 5 essays, this was a serious process. However, the diversity of the questions made this actually pretty interesting and enabled all areas of my background to be highlighted. After some fine tuning, I'll be submitting my application in a couple of days (shooting for Tuesday or Weds).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Has anyone observed that the second essay on the website and in the 'Downloadable forms' is actually different? I almost submitted my application when I happened to see the downloadable forms. I'm bringing this up just so that the rest of the applicants are careful while submitting their applications.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pavithrajoshi wrote:
Has anyone observed that the second essay on the website and in the 'Downloadable forms' is actually different? I almost submitted my application when I happened to see the downloadable forms. I'm bringing this up just so that the rest of the applicants are careful while submitting their applications.

I noticed this discrepancy back in September but it was fixed soon after. Are you sure you are clicking on the link titled "Essays: Full-time MBA Program" (file name "ftmbaessays2012-13.pdf") under "Downloadable Forms" on the online application? I just double checked and this document matches what is posted on the website here https://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba/admissions/requirements.

Back in mid September the new deadlines along with the new essays were released and posted on Marshall's MBA website under "Admissions", "Requirements". However, the link in the online application form under "Program-Specific Essays" was to a PDF of last year's questions. This was resolved in early October so you shouldn't be running into the same problem.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
APEX wrote:
pavithrajoshi wrote:

I noticed this discrepancy back in September but it was fixed soon after. Are you sure you are clicking on the link titled "Essays: Full-time MBA Program" (file name "ftmbaessays2012-13.pdf") under "Downloadable Forms" on the online application? I just double checked and this document matches what is posted on the website here https://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba/admissions/requirements.

Back in mid September the new deadlines along with the new essays were released and posted on Marshall's MBA website under "Admissions", "Requirements". However, the link in the online application form under "Program-Specific Essays" was to a PDF of last year's questions. This was resolved in early October so you shouldn't be running into the same problem.

Looks like the problem hasn't been completely rectified. Since I'm a reapplicant, I downloaded the PDF in the 'Reapplication' section, assuming it would be the same as the one in the 'Application requirements' section. While the PDF I downloaded was the old one, the new one has been updated only in the other section. I think this should also be brought to the notice of the Marshall adcom to avoid last minute panic for other reapplicants. I'm sure if I hadn't cross checked I would have submitted the wrong essays!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pavithrajoshi wrote:
APEX wrote:
pavithrajoshi wrote:

Looks like the problem hasn't been completely rectified. Since I'm a reapplicant, I downloaded the PDF in the 'Reapplication' section, assuming it would be the same as the one in the 'Application requirements' section. While the PDF I downloaded was the old one, the new one has been updated only in the other section. I think this should also be brought to the notice of the Marshall adcom to avoid last minute panic for other reapplicants. I'm sure if I hadn't cross checked I would have submitted the wrong essays!

Nice catch! That's a good idea, I would definitely give the admissions department a call informing them of this. That is exactly what I did when I first discovered the discrepancy last month.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Apologies if this has been covered.

After submitting my app online, I received a confirmation e-mail from Marshall. In the e-mail, they requested a hard copy of my official transcripts. Does Marshall need the hard copy transcripts before evaluating the app? Or do they simply require the hard copy transcripts for validation once I've been admitted?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sufjan wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered.

After submitting my app online, I received a confirmation e-mail from Marshall. In the e-mail, they requested a hard copy of my official transcripts. Does Marshall need the hard copy transcripts before evaluating the app? Or do they simply require the hard copy transcripts for validation once I've been admitted?

Thanks.

Marshall requires hard copies of OFFICIAL transcripts from ALL schools attended since secondary/high school BEFORE they can render a final decision (admit). You can upload unofficial copies of your transcripts to the online application and submit these for the adcom to review when evaluating your profile but an offer for admittance cannot be made until official copies are submitted to the USC graduate office of admissions. Also, be sure your schools complete and include the USC-supplied "Transcript Cover Page" when sending your transcripts to the admission office.

More info can be found here, under "Transcripts" : https://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba/admissions/requirements
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am an international applicant and my confirmation mail after submission says: "If you are an international applicant, your "Confidential Statement for Financing Studies at USC" document should also be sent to the above address. Delay in the submission of any required documents may create a significant delay in the processing of your application."

Do I need to send in this document right away or in case I get an admit?

I am also a reapplicant, and I had sent in my transcripts last year. Will I be required to send them again?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 680 Q40 V42
GPA: 3.83
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Submitted 10/4 to the PM program but haven't found any applicant threads other than this one. Anyone else submit to PM?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GPA: 3.67
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
slr wrote:
Submitted 10/4 to the PM program but haven't found any applicant threads other than this one. Anyone else submit to PM?

You submitted it 4 days or a month after the application went live? If you did 4 days, that's insanely quick!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
pavithrajoshi wrote:
I am an international applicant and my confirmation mail after submission says: "If you are an international applicant, your "Confidential Statement for Financing Studies at USC" document should also be sent to the above address. Delay in the submission of any required documents may create a significant delay in the processing of your application."

Do I need to send in this document right away or in case I get an admit?

I am also a reapplicant, and I had sent in my transcripts last year. Will I be required to send them again?

According to the text in the confirmation email you quoted, I would assume this financial document is required to be submitted PRIOR to the adcom reviewing your application (NOT in the case of an offer for admission). I would complete and submit this document right away.

As for sending in transcripts as a reapplicant, that is a good question. I suggest calling the admissions office to confirm that they still have your transcripts on file.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Diablo-- I've been working on the application for 8 months on-and-off. When they went "live," all my work to date was still saved. The only thing that I noticed had changed was that they had one fewer options for Essay 3. Also, they switched to rolling admissions and created what looks like a first-come-first-served approach to evaluating apps. I would like to be in their first batch of decision notifications come December 1.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GPA: 3.67
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
slr wrote:
Diablo-- I've been working on the application for 8 months on-and-off. When they went "live," all my work to date was still saved. The only thing that I noticed had changed was that they had one fewer options for Essay 3. Also, they switched to rolling admissions and created what looks like a first-come-first-served approach to evaluating apps. I would like to be in their first batch of decision notifications come December 1.

Okay. I ask because unless you've applied before or have generalized your essays, you couldn't have possibly know the specific prompts until 10/1.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Diablo wrote:
slr wrote:

Okay. I ask because unless you've applied before or have generalized your essays, you couldn't have possibly know the specific prompts until 10/1.

Actually, I did know. They released their essay prompts back in September. The 10/1 date we are talking about was simply the first day they started accepting submissions of applications.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts