Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [13]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [6]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [5]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Julie opened a lemonade stand and sold lemonade in two diff [#permalink]
Vips0000 wrote:
M*29 = 246-N*26
This is true only for one value of M and N, when M=4 and N=5. (Assuming number of drinks to be only integers and hoping Julie's stand is not a unique stand that sells 0.732, 0.981 drinks :P )

Thanks! Hmm.. I think I'm missing something pretty obvious here, how do you conclude that there is only one value for M and N and that it has to be M=4, N=5? When I look at the equation I see 1 equation and 2 unknowns so my knee jerk reaction is "not solvable!!" :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
tim415 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
M*29 = 246-N*26
This is true only for one value of M and N, when M=4 and N=5. (Assuming number of drinks to be only integers and hoping Julie's stand is not a unique stand that sells 0.732, 0.981 drinks :P )

Thanks! Hmm.. I think I'm missing something pretty obvious here, how do you conclude that there is only one value for M and N and that it has to be M=4, N=5? When I look at the equation I see 1 equation and 2 unknowns so my knee jerk reaction is "not solvable!!" :?

Well, when question or context gives you certain constraints to help you. (Or actually to trick you :P )

If we dont know that number of drinks got to be a non-negative integer then surely we can not solve 1 equation with 2 variables. But in this case that is one underlying constraint. So we can simply check if there is anything that satisifies the equation.

Remember this trick for any such context (Number of drinks/ animals/ trees/ votes/ persons etc)

Hope it helps :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
H: B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-31-2013
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
tim415 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
M*29 = 246-N*26

Well, when question or context gives you certain constraints to help you. (Or actually to trick you :P )

If we dont know that number of drinks got to be a non-negative integer then surely we can not solve 1 equation with 2 variables. But in this case that is one underlying constraint. So we can simply check if there is anything that satisifies the equation.

Remember this trick for any such context (Number of drinks/ animals/ trees/ votes/ persons etc)

Can you please explain the statement again ? I got the answer choice wrong. "If we dont know that number of drinks got to be a non-negative integer then surely we can not solve 1 equation with 2 variables. But in this case that is one underlying constraint. So we can simply check if there is anything that satisifies the equation."
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hb wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
tim415 wrote:

Can you please explain the statement again ? I got the answer choice wrong. "If we dont know that number of drinks got to be a non-negative integer then surely we can not solve 1 equation with 2 variables. But in this case that is one underlying constraint. So we can simply check if there is anything that satisifies the equation."

Check these posts:
joanna-bought-only-0-15-stamps-and-0-29-stamps-how-many-101743.html
common-gmat-trap-31x-25y-128578.html
joe-bought-only-twenty-cent-stamps-and-thirty-cent-stamps-106212.html
a-certain-fruit-stand-sold-apples-for-0-70-each-and-bananas-101966.html
eunice-sold-several-cakes-if-each-cake-sold-for-either-109602.html
martha-bought-several-pencils-if-each-pencil-was-either-a-100204.html
a-rental-car-agency-purchases-fleet-vehicles-in-two-sizes-a-105682.html

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
This is Value type of DS questions in which we should answer if there is only one value or more than one value.
If only one possible value - sufficient
If more than one value - insufficient

We do not need to count this value as we do in PS

In this case we should answer if it is only one possible value of 52-cent lemonade drinks' number

S1. x+y=9, can be 1+8, 2+7, 3+6, 4+5..., so INSUFFICIENT
S2. 52x+58y=492, we have two different prices per drink, so there is always unique number of X (non-negative integer), so SUFFICIENT

B
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Julie opened a lemonade stand and sold lemonade in two diff [#permalink]
Vips0000 wrote:
tim415 wrote:
Julie opened a lemonade stand and sold lemonade in two different sizes, a 52-cent (12oz) and a 58-cent (16oz) size. How many 52-cent (12oz) lemonade drinks did Julie sell?

(1) Julie sold a total of 9 lemonades
(2) The total value of the lemonade drinks Julie sold was $4.92

Cost of 12 oz drink =52 cents, lets assumte total number sold are N
Cost of 16 oz drink =58 cents, lets assumte total number sold are M

Statement 1: N+M =9
So it could be that N=1, M=8 or that N=2, M=7 etc. Clearly not sufficient.

Statement 2: N*0.52 + M*0.58 = 4.92
Or to simplify it: N*52 + M*58 = 492
N*26 + M*29 = 246
M*29 = 246-N*26

Hence sufficient to answer.

Ans B it is.

It took a lot of time for me to arrive at the values.
I agree this is a DS question and solving till the last line is not required as in case of PS.
but still the equation looks quite complex that I felt it may not have a solution at all.
Is there is any way to solve the equation in less time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Mechmeera,

In situations such as this (when you THINK that you need two variables and two unique equations to answer the given question), it helps to be on the lookout for "weird" numbers and/or low "totals." You also have to be ready to do some 'brute force' work to get the solution.

In this prompt, we're told that the two sizes cost 52 cents and 58 cents. Fact 2 tells us that the TOTAL value of glasses sold was $4.92. Since each size of lemonade sells for OVER 50 cents, and the total is LESS than $5, there must be FEWER than 10 lemonades sold - this leads to a relatively small number of possibilities.

While the work might seem a little tedious, you CAN list out the various 'multiples' of each size and look for an option that totals $4.92

For the 12-ounce lemonade:

For the 16-ounce lemonade:

How many ways are there to add a number from the first group to the number from the second group and get a TOTAL of $4.92 (hint: the units digit is a '2', so look for a pair of values that SUM to that units digit). You'll find that there's just one pairing. Thus, Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
Julie opened a lemonade stand and sold lemonade in two diff [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma

how to conclude that there is only one value for M and N for the equation M*29 = 246-N*26

Please help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

how to conclude that there is only one value for M and N for the equation M*29 = 246-N*26

Please help.

Hi techiesam,

If you read my explanation (the post that immediately appears before your post), you'll see that with a little logic - and some 'brute force' arithmetic - you can prove that there's only one solution when you include the information in Fact 2.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
techiesam wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help.

Hi techiesam,

If you read my explanation (the post that immediately appears before your post), you'll see that with a little logic - and some 'brute force' arithmetic - you can prove that there's only one solution when you include the information in Fact 2.

Rich

Thanks..But the brute force method is time consuming,specially when you are taking the test.Is there any other way!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help.

Check out this post: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/0 ... -of-thumb/

It discusses in detail how to solve equations with integer solutions and also how you can find out the exact number of solutions an equation such as this will have.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
techiesam wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help.

Check out this post: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/0 ... -of-thumb/

It discusses in detail how to solve equations with integer solutions and also how you can find out the exact number of solutions an equation such as this will have.

Thank you very much Ma'am.This is what I've been looking for.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Expert Reply
tim415 wrote:
Julie opened a lemonade stand and sold lemonade in two different sizes, a 52-cent (12oz) and a 58-cent (16oz) size. How many 52-cent (12oz) lemonade drinks did Julie sell?

(1) Julie sold a total of 9 lemonades
(2) The total value of the lemonade drinks Julie sold was $4.92

\(\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,m \geqslant 1\,\,\operatorname{int} \,\,\,12{\text{oz - units}}\,\,,\,\,52\,{\text{cents}}\,{\text{each}} \hfill \\\\
\,n \geqslant 1\,\,\operatorname{int} \,\,\,\,16{\text{oz - units}}\,\,,\,\,58\,{\text{cents}}\,{\text{each}}\,\,\, \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\,\,\,\,\left( * \right)\)

\(? = m\)

\(\left( 1 \right)\,\,m + n = 9\,\,\,\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {m,n} \right) = \left( {1,8} \right)\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,? = 1\,\, \hfill \\\\
\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {m,n} \right) = \left( {2,7} \right)\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,? = 2\,\, \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\)

Money unit will be CENTS. (All amounts in cents are integers!)

\(\left( 2 \right)\,\,52m + 58n = 492\,\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{:\,\,2} \,\,\,\,\,26m + 29n = 246\,\,\,\)

\(\left[ {29n\,\,\mathop = \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,} \right]\,\,{\text{positive}}\,\,{\text{multiple}}\,\,{\text{of}}\,\,29\,\, = \,\,\,246 - 26m = 2\left( {123 - 13m} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{{\text{GCF}}\,\left( {2,29} \right)\,\, = \,\,1} \,\,\,123 - 13m\,\,{\text{is}}\,\,{\text{a}}\,\,{\text{positive}}\,\,{\text{multiple}}\,\,{\text{of}}\,\,29\)

\(\left. \begin{gathered}\\
m = 1\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,123 - 13 = 110\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{NO}}} \right) \hfill \\\\
m = 2\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,123 - 26 = 97\,\,\left[ { = 110 - 13} \right]\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{NO}}} \right) \hfill \\\\
m = 3\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,123 - 39 = 84\,\,\left[ { = 97 - 13} \right]\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{NO}}} \right)\,\,\,\, \hfill \\\\
m = 4\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,84 - 13 = 71\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{NO}}} \right) \hfill \\\\
\boxed{m = 5}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,71 - 13 = 58 = 2 \cdot 29\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{YES}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \hfill \\\\
m = 6\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,58 - 13 = 45\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{NO}}} \right) \hfill \\\\
m = 7\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,45 - 13 = 32\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{NO}}} \right) \hfill \\\\
m = 8\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,32 - 13 = 19\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{NO}}} \right) \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right\}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,? = 5\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts