Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1043 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Globalization cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of [#permalink]
globalization ( singular ) : verb should be singular EXTENDS : kills A n E

the intent : globalization cannot be limited to X......and should/must extend to Y

C : G is limited to X...........AND..........Y : the intended contrast ( limit/extend ) disappears : eliminated

bxn B n D :

D : G..............should have Extension to Y

B : G..............must Extend to Y

guess now we can easily zone in on B

leading to B, my take.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1043 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Globalization cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of [#permalink]
preethinaidu87 wrote:
Globalization cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and extend to the free movement of people

• cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and extend to
• cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and must extend to
• cannot be limited to the free movement of capital and
• cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and should have extension to
• cannot be limited to the free movement of capital and extend to

Can anyone please tell me and explain me the answer for this question?

preethinaidu87 - could u please post the OA and OE for this question... thanks
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I think statement C is incomplete.

Out of rest of the statement B is correct as expected is redundant and extend needs as verb.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is a different stroke.

Does the text want to say “G cannot be limited to the X and extend to the Y”? If that was the intension, then the conjunction should be ‘but’ and not ‘and’; that is the reason it can be said that the text does not want to contrast but simply affirm two same direction phenomena. I am unable to take any choice that uses ‘and’ while deviating in the second leg. Therefore, I would drop A, B, D and E. Note on the other hand C does not intend any contrast. It is happy with mentioning two phenomena that G cannot be limited to. It is neither incomplete as a contributor has suggested. When parsed rightly, it reads

Globalization cannot be limited to (the free movement of capital and the free movement of people)

In fact globalization encompasses the local and the national influences in so many fields such as not only financial and economical but also environmental, political, social and cultural processes that are in interplay among the players involved. Don’t we see such impacts in our day- to -day lives? This is the gist of the argument. Hence why not C?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Here is a different stroke.

Does the text want to say “G cannot be limited to the X and extend to the Y”? If that was the intension, then the conjunction should be ‘but’ and not ‘and’; that is the reason it can be said that the text does not want to contrast but simply affirm two same direction phenomena. I am unable to take any choice that uses ‘and’ while deviating in the second leg. Therefore, I would drop A, B, D and E. Note on the other hand C does not intend any contrast. It is happy with mentioning two phenomena that G cannot be limited to. It is neither incomplete as a contributor has suggested. When parsed rightly, it reads

Globalization cannot be limited to (the free movement of capital and the free movement of people)

In fact globalization encompasses the local and the national influences in so many fields such as not only financial and economical but also environmental, political, social and cultural processes that are in interplay among the players involved. Don’t we see such impacts in our day- to -day lives? This is the gist of the argument. Hence why not C?

First and foremost, C is incomplete.
Second, it is possible to use 'and' in such statements as:
You can not be contended with your low score on GMAT and must prepare harder.

Coming back to the question in hand, we are not showing contrast but extension of same phenomena as you correctly pointed out. And that is why we have to maintain same tone in both parts of this sentence. Therefore,
Globalization cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and must extend to the free movement of people
is absolutely correct.

Ans B it is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
@ Vips0000

I do respect and welcome difference of opinion, whether I accept it or not. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
From the answer choices:

Globalization cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and extend to the free movement of people

A. cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and extend to --> refers to globalization and this is plural. so incorrect
B. cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and must extend to --> No errors
C. cannot be limited to the free movement of capital and --> change of meaning so C is incorrect, expected is removed
D. cannot be expected to be limited to the free movement of capital and should have extension to --> parallelism is not maintained so this is incorrect
E. cannot be limited to the free movement of capital and extend to --> same error as A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts