Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Got the email!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Another interview invite here! I'm pretty far away from all of the locations, so, assuming they still have spots available, I'll be doing mine over Skype. Congrats everyone and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Invited to interview! What a pleasant surprise this morning ahead of my Cambridge interview tomorrow :) I will either interview in Dallas (I'll be visiting family there over Thanksgiving anyway) or San Francisco. I'm excited to perhaps meet some of you very soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Said (D)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Got my invite this morning also. I'm planning on using this as an opportunity to check out the campus as well. Anyone else looking at the Oxford Nov. 26th interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks sanjuro for giving an insight on the Said. I have received an invite for interview today. :-) Can you give some tips hows to crack it and be a part of this wonderful institute.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Calling all California based applicants: Hosting a casual get-together - info session and cocktail reception - for prospective applicants in San Francisco next week. Similar events to follow in Singapore, London and New York. Please PM me for details. Good luck with your applications!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi guys, can anyone offer any insights into the questions that recommenders are asked? Can't seem to find that information on the website. Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
FYI: A must read article for all the prospective student (including myself), who are planning to do an MBA in UK

economist-s-show-europe-s-including-uk-mba-charms-waning-142132.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Kudos
congratulations to everyone who got interview invites. I will go through all your posts tonight and post something comprehensive to help you prepare for your interviews.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
First, I apologize for the late reply. I had promised, I will post something over the weekend.
Well, the weekend was pretty crazy. There was an event to take science and technology intellectual property and try to build business models with it. https://www.futurebusiness.co.uk/

There was also an event in London for startup jobs that went for some networking. And, then Sunday night I got invited to formal dinner at another college.
https://siliconmilkroundabout.com/

The reason I am giving you all these details is also to give you a chance to glance through a window to my life here.

Now, to interviews.

Basics -

1. Whether you are coming here for in-person interview or doing it over skype, do dress formal. This may sound too obvious, but I have seen some people ignoring it. Safest business formal is dark suit (black, charcoal, midnight blue), black shoes, blue or white shirt and preferably darker tie. Avoid striped suits, lighter colors, or too colorful ties. If you are skype interviewing, do suit up.

2. Be nice to everyone on campus. That includes receptionists, staff and students. People will share their opinions of interactions with admissions staff. Something positive may not get into your evaluation file, but trust me that something negative will.

3. If you are interviewing over skype, do find a quiet place, silence your cell phone and lock your door. Make sure there isn't a poster of some kind behind your desk. When you speak, look alternatively at the monitor and the webcam. Looking into the webcam is the only way to make eye contact with interviewer. If you haven't done formal meetings over skype, it might be a good chance to do a mock with a friend.

4. Mock interviews help. But, if you don't have access to someone who can give you constructive feedback, then just practice your interview questions in front of mirror or webcam.

5. If you are interviewing in person, do not slouch back in your chair or sit too far to the front. Don't fidget with your hands or fingers. Again, basics, but, people do miss them.

Content -

1. Three questions. Why MBA? Why now? Why Oxford? I think you will encounter these three questions in almost every MBA interview. Don't just rant on when asked these questions. Keep your answers brief (1-3 minutes at the most). I am not a big fan of frameworks, but it might help to try and model all your answers according to this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situation, ... on,_Result

2. Look at your essays. Even if they smell bad by now, they are the stories that got you to the interview. You have to stick to them. You will have many opportunities during the year to pursue other options, for the interview, do stick your original stories.

3. Make a list of at least 3-4 different stories of your life. You will be asked questions such as, "tell me a situation where you failed", "tell me when you took risk", "tell me when you went above and beyond what was expected". There won't be more then 2-3 such questions. You can't use the same story over and over again. And, make sure all your stories are within the last 2 years. Something that you did in middle school doesn't hold relevance anymore.

4. There will be a question such as what if you don't get admitted to Oxford. Its ok to say you will apply again. Its ok to say, you will get a job in your targeted industry and try after two years. You be the judge what will be the best answer to this question. There is no perfect answer. It depends upon your background, where you are coming from and where you are headed.

5. You might be asked where you have applied. It will sound strange if you iterate 15 programs across Europe and US. That means Oxford and many others in your list are there just because they are part of some ranking. Do answer with 3-4 names and follow-up with a common theme that explains why those 3-4 are very similar. It doesn't hurt to mention that Oxford is your top choice (and, it should be).

6. If you are being interviewed by adcom member, you won't be asked industry specific questions. If you are being interviewed by faculty, they may ask your opinion on a recent business event. Nobody is looking for a thesis paper here. Just your educated view gathered from reading newspapers, blogs and following industry trends. When you receive your interview invite, google your interviewer's name and find out who he/she is. Based on that expect a question of this kind. To prepare for this question, read big stories on WSJ or FT for the past week or so.

Oxford Specific Advice -

1. Oxford is a unique place. Nobody here is insecure of the schools in Cambridge or some French forest. That's because there is enough in Oxford to make it a distinctively unique, desirable place. Research some of those. What professors do? What centers are there in business school? What events do they organize? Is there a inter-collegiate sports team that interests you? How would like to see Gary Kasparov, Peter Thiel, Mark Shuttleworth debate over innovation at the Oxford Union? (I did that last Friday) How will access to various research centers outside the business school help broaden your thoughts? And, so on. Answers to these questions will not only help you with your interview, but also your final decision making process.

2. Do not come here for a degree and job. You will be disappointed. Of course, there is education, a degree and a job afterwards. But, that's not even 20% of what Oxford and Said is about.

3. If you are deciding to do your MBA at Oxford or in Europe, you should know that European economy is not doing well (just in case, you have been living under a rock). This should not matter to you at all. As an Oxford (or for that matter graduate of any premier European MBA program), the value of your education, network and mere prestige of your school will go anywhere in the world you wish to work in. You may get asked about this.

4. International motivation. There are students from 42 different countries. More than 95% of class is from outside the UK. How will you adjust to this environment? Will you be able to work together and have fun socially?

5. We do (party) have lot of social events. There was a crazy Diwali (Indian festival) party (or BOP as they are known here) on Saturday. If nothing else, there is always somebody's birthday on every weekend. If you love social interaction outside your comfort zone, meeting new and interesting people, Oxford is the perfect place for you.

I think I covered most of the basics here. If you have specific questions, do feel free to ask them here. And, if you are coming to Oxford for in-person interview, let me know and I will be happy to meet with you in person. I believe I am on the schedule to have lunch with you guys on both interview days, but do send me a PM me with your name and personal email address.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks for your post.

That said, I am fairly surprised to hear you indicate that a bland dress-sense indicates a candidates likelihood of success on an MBA course and wider career.

If an MBA course does not want to accept me on the basis of my [colourful] tie - it is simply not the school for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Send PM
Kohsamed wrote:
Thanks for your post.

That said, I am fairly surprised to hear you indicate that a bland dress-sense indicates a candidates likelihood of success on an MBA course and wider career.

If an MBA course does not want to accept me on the basis of my [colourful] tie - it is simply not the school for me.

You are missing the point. What you wear at business school has nothing to do with the interview. The interview is just, well, an interview. Imagine you were going for interview with McKinsey or say for an investment banking associate job at Goldman Sachs. Would you dress conservatively or try and make a fashion statement?

Let me ask a different question. Say, you were interviewing for a firm that you know has a very casual work wear policy. They allow people to come in sweatshirts and sneakers. Would you attend the interview in a sweatshirt and sneaker or would you dress up formally?

There will be plenty of occasions at Oxford where you will have to wear formal. College dinners, matriculation, exams (you wear black suit to all your exams). This in no way means an Oxonian's fashion is limited to black tie and evening gowns. What it means is there are occasions that are given a certain respect and formal wear adds to the tradition and magnificence of the event.

There are many (including men) in my class who wear red pants to class. Since today was officially Diwali, I saw Indian girls dressed up in Salwar (a traditional Indian dress). I personally wear jeans almost on all days that I don't have a company presentation or a networking event.

At the same time, I am always in a dark suit when I attend company networking events or external presentations. I am from the US and had never owned a bow tie. I do tie my own bow tie now if I have to go to a college formal dinner or a concert.

Part of the MBA interview process is how much diversity you will bring to the class and part of it has to do with your employability. This is universal across business schools. You will not be judged on your tie, but there will be a tipping point where your fashion statement might just keep you out of business school.

I hope I have made the point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I get your point, I just don't agree that interviewees need to subscribe to an 'identikit' appearance. I am not suggesting that people use the interview to show off the latest edgy fashion.

Be smart, but be yourself.

I have spent my whole career (to date) in investment banking, and yes, I would not hesitate to interview with GS wearing a patterned/coloured tie (I never even wore a tie to any of the 10 interviews for my current role, and even wear red trousers to work once a week :))

I don't have a big issue, just thought it was worth picking up on. Maybe we just come from different backgrounds.

But like I said, your original post is much appreciated! nice blog too :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Here's the trick: wear for interviews something that guarantees that nobody will care what you wear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Exactly, Ducksworth, usually I have so many things going through my head at the time of an interview that I don't want to be worrying about my clothes or what my interviewer thinks of my appearance on top of everything else.

Thanks for all the information sanjuro9, that's a big help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Hey everyone- congrats to all those who received interviews! Question to those applying from the States- is there any specific reason you are applying overseas as opposed to American business schools? Oxford is obviously incredible, but I'd love to hear your responses. Thanks, and good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Congratulations to everyone who got interview invites!

I was looking at the admissions deadlines for Said, and noticed that there are "Interview Decision" dates.
Does this mean that if an applicant does not receive an invite by the interview decision date of the round/stage to which he applied, he is automatically rejected/dinged?

I will be applying to stage/round 2. This is going to be a busy Christmas break for me. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts