Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink]
Got a call from the director this Morning, got in pmba.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Kudos
Wow that was fast...Congrats!!!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MacKayB wrote:

Thanks, I was interviewed on 11/6 and my interview lasted for only 20 mins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Congratulations! Hopefully we'll see you next fall!
Us Full time applicants won't officially hear back until ~12/7

laidmn wrote:
MacKayB wrote:

Thanks, I was interviewed on 11/6 and my interview lasted for only 20 mins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
siddhartharyan wrote:
Hi
I am Siddharth, from India. I had applied in R1 and have an interview on the 21st of Nov.
My profile: GMAT 680
WE: Baker Hughes, 5 yrs (before I join Rice, Next yr)

I have applied for MBA in Energy.

A little nervous as this would be my first ever interview for a B School Admission.

There is nothing to be nervous about. Just make sure you are well prepared with your answers - why Rice? why mba now? short term and long term goals, situational questions - a time when you disagreed with your boss, a time when one of your team members didn't put his/her weight, a time when your contribution in a team setting was lauded, etc. Make sure you go over your answers with someone aware of the application process and someone who knows you. Be honest and sincere in your delivery. Don't rote, simply remember the main points. Do not show yourself in negative light - articulate.

Be confident. You have a pretty decent background and score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GPA: 2.43
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi texigan and every one,

your information is very helpful, i plan to apply the R2.

I wanna if i focus on sports industry in post MBA professional, what i can get/learn from Rice business school. Because i know rice is famous in G&O, and have no other ideas about RICE...It will be appreciated if you guys provide some detail instruction about RICE

My biggest question is that my average score of undergraduate is only 74, which means a low GPA in whatever calculation method. So hope i am the luck one...

My profile:
International applicant
38 months in Big 4(16 @ Tax/20 @ Audit)
GMAT: 650 Q49,V30
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
romanyck wrote:
I wanna if i focus on sports industry in post MBA professional, what i can get/learn from Rice business school. Because i know rice is famous in G&O, and have no other ideas about RICE...It will be appreciated if you guys provide some detail instruction about RICE

McNair Hall takes its name from the entrepreneur who transformed his passion for sports into the NFL Houston Texans. In my 1L summer off from Emory Law, I interned with that franchise. There, the Vice President of Communications was Jones a graduate. In the summer prior, I was also with the WNBA Houston Comets when another Jones graduate was named that franchise’s Chief Executive Officer.

In fact, Rice University as a whole is a premier campus for sports business. Once a visiting undergrad from Vanderbilt, I had the good fortune to be the sole student in a sports management practicum class that ignited my career in the sports industry. But, what makes Jones perfect for those aspiring to work in the sports industry is its synergistic team learning approach and world class offerings in entrepreneurship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GPA: 2.43
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi rrossjd,

Thank you for your valuable information, I get a whole new view about Jones. Hope you enter your dream school soon.

One more question, so you mean if somebody wanna focus on sports industry post MBA, he/she should choose the core curriculum in entrepreneurship? Or you just think entrepreneurship is the best curriculum in Jones?

BTW, did you go to Austin for the Formular 1 last weekend? :-D It's very popular outside US

rrossjd wrote:
romanyck wrote:

McNair Hall takes its name from the entrepreneur who transformed his passion for sports into the NFL Houston Texans. In my 1L summer off from Emory Law, I interned with that franchise. There, the Vice President of Communications was Jones a graduate. In the summer prior, I was also with the WNBA Houston Comets when another Jones graduate was named that franchise’s Chief Executive Officer.

In fact, Rice University as a whole is a premier campus for sports business. Once a visiting undergrad from Vanderbilt, I had the good fortune to be the sole student in a sports management practicum class that ignited my career in the sports industry. But, what makes Jones perfect for those aspiring to work in the sports industry is its synergistic team learning approach and world class offerings in entrepreneurship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks laidmn.

Interview was ok. Went on for 30 odd min. A second year student took my interview over Skype. He was friendly and easy to talk to. Asked me questions like why MBA, why now?, why Rice? once achievement, one failure etc.

When should I expect the results?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
romanyck wrote:
Hi rrossjd,

Thank you for your valuable information, I get a whole new view about Jones. Hope you enter your dream school soon.

One more question, so you mean if somebody wanna focus on sports industry post MBA, he/she should choose the core curriculum in entrepreneurship? Or you just think entrepreneurship is the best curriculum in Jones?

BTW, did you go to Austin for the Formular 1 last weekend? :-D It's very popular outside US

Solely focusing on becoming a more learned entrepreneur would be akin to an individual race car driver opting to learn only to drive well. Surprisingly, racing isn’t just an solitary sport. Beyond the driver, there’s the car tech and the pit crew. As an analogy, at Jones, the standalone top-tier entrepreneurship education is made better because it’s situated in the context of the techie university, the Action Learning Project, and team-focus core education.

Given your passion for Formula 1, combine the Energy and Entrepreneurship concentrations. Particularly in the racing sports business, a key revenue driver is strategic corporate sponsorships. Also consider how technology accords a competitive edge. With that in mind, consider discussing how Rice's robust oil and gas networking opportunities, the tech transfer internship opportunity, and how the entrepreneurship concentration can tie all that together.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
siddhartharyan wrote:
Thanks laidmn.

Interview was ok. Went on for 30 odd min. A second year student took my interview over Skype. He was friendly and easy to talk to. Asked me questions like why MBA, why now?, why Rice? once achievement, one failure etc.

When should I expect the results?

Good to hear about your interview. Full time applicants have different turn-around times than part-time applicants. You should expect their decision by the dates mentioned on the website. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, Sustainability
Schools: Jones '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
siddhartharyan wrote:
Hi
I am Siddharth, from India. I had applied in R1 and have an interview on the 21st of Nov.
My profile: GMAT 680
WE: Baker Hughes, 5 yrs (before I join Rice, Next yr)

I have applied for MBA in Energy.

A little nervous as this would be my first ever interview for a B School Admission.

Hi Dude!

Another Siddhartha here! I have also applied in the first round and am still waiting for the response! I did not get an interview invite as of now. I have about 6 years of experience and have also been interested in the MBA in Energy. Seeing that someone already got admitted, few people are getting interviewed, and I am still waiting for anything to show up, I am getting a wee bit nervous as well!

How was your interview?

Sid
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sid
Interview went well.. now eagerly waiting for the result.
When did you submit your application? They said the university was shut for thanksgiving on the 22nd and the 23rd. You may get the call anytime soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Got in Rice's MBAP weekend program this week for 2013...very excited...anyone else? I am still awaiting other schools but I appreciated Rice's quick turnaround and amount of information so quickly...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mrabuano wrote:
Got in Rice's MBAP weekend program this week for 2013...very excited...anyone else? I am still awaiting other schools but I appreciated Rice's quick turnaround and amount of information so quickly...

Congratulations!! I got it on 11/15 within 15 days of my application. They are quick.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply

Live Essay Writing Workshop, presented by Admissionado

Sigh. The MBA Application essays. Who thought it was a good idea to ask people to write 2000 words before they even get INTO school? Turns out, it doesn’t matter, because someone did… and now you have to come up with the most compelling and memorable essays about leadership that you can. And then do it again for every school you apply to.

It’s not easy, but this upcoming event should help. Submit your MBA Application essay to have an opportunity to have it reviewed for free by the team at Admissionado. Three essays will be selected, and if you are one of the lucky ones, you will have the opportunity to go through your essay with Phillip Herring (admissions expert and CBS MBA) in a live session. You will need to be OK with sharing your essay with attendees (don’t worry – we’ll keep your name/private info out of it), and available and online at the time of the event to chat it up with Phillip. Even if you aren’t selected, listen in, because there will still be plenty of essay advice to go around.

Submit your essay to lauren@admissionado.com by Monday, December 3. You will find out if you are selected by Wednesday, December 5. Then join the live event on Thursday, December 6 at 6pm PST. Register Now [FREE!]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
laidmn - what are you thinking about Rice? I will be putting down the deposit for the weekend program...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts