Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: GMAT retake with just 7 weeks to deadline? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rishu19 wrote:
Thanks Linda!!
Really appreciate your prompt reply; what you said makes a lot of sense. Just purchased the 'MBA Admission for Smarties' as a starting point.

My target schools are Kellogg and Booth, and both of them are highly competitive programs. Specifically, Booth might be a problem because they have a very high quantitative inclination. I might be lucky with the uncertainty going on around the IR scores, but a 2 definitely stands out. The adcom at Columbia, unlike anybody else, openly told that they are going to look primarily at the main score, but with rolling admission, isn't it prudent to chose Booth over CBS at this point in time?

I am in immense confusion over the other programs to consider (esp with the IR score of 2), how to leverage my experience in data analytics and hedge fund, and most of all, which essay question (Kellogg/Booth) to devote to my not so great community service experience.
Rest assured, beyond the US top 10, I would chose schools like Insead (Singapore) and Rotman which lead in their respective countries.

If I happen to finish my application by second week of December and retake GMAT towards the end of December, then, given that AWA and IR scores will arrive after R2 deadlines have passed, will they still consider my new scores?
Just worried about IR forming a primary basis of rejection. An opportunity to retake after finishing the application and before the decision has been rendered will be great.

Best,
Rishu

Rishu,

Thanks for buying MBA Admission for Smarties

You can self-report a new score as long as you take the test before you submit the application. GMAC will forward the official score when it gets to it. If you take the test after the deadline, you run the risk that the schools will evaluate your application before they get the new score. They are very unlikely to re-evaluate it once they receive the new score.

I'm not clear what you are asking when you write about choosing Booth over CBS? If you apply to both, they are doing the choosing? Are you planning to apply to only one?

Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Linda,

I am planning to apply to Kellogg, and either one of Booth/CBS. I spoke to adcoms at both CBS and Booth about how they are looking at IR scores. The dilemma is between choosing a school (Booth) that does not have rolling admission but will look at the IR scores closely, VS, choosing a school (CBS) that will admittedly not put much importance on IR score but has a rolling admission (and I am starting late).

After going through the first chapter of MBA admission for Smarties, I find myself open to know more about not-so-stellar programs that have a good offering for finance and economic policy-making, with the shorter term goal of working in developmental finance (plan A), or, working in risk and data analytic departments of macro driven asset management & investment research firms (Plan B). I am working hard on my goals!!

Kenan Flagler, for one, is a good option for buy side research, but apparently, Wharton, Booth, CBS are blinding the lights out. Can you please make an off-handed suggestion for the names of programs to research in greater detail?

Also, I went through the essay questions of various schools, but did not come across any that point directly towards community service. Is it something that we need to "fit in"?

Best,
Rishu

P.S.: I am worried about school selection because there is hardly enough time to finish 2 applications by Round 2, and choosing the wrong program means waiting another year, which is unaffordable since my current employer gave a week's time to decide and put in my papers in case I plan to go this year. (They will give good recommendation, they just don't want somebody to leave midway next year)
Do you have any programs that offer (limited or basic) help to cash strapped applicants? I will be jobless starting December, so certainly cant afford any premium services, as much as I would like.
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishu19 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I am planning to apply to Kellogg, and either one of Booth/CBS. I spoke to adcoms at both CBS and Booth about how they are looking at IR scores. The dilemma is between choosing a school (Booth) that does not have rolling admission but will look at the IR scores closely, VS, choosing a school (CBS) that will admittedly not put much importance on IR score but has a rolling admission (and I am starting late).

After going through the first chapter of MBA admission for Smarties, I find myself open to know more about not-so-stellar programs that have a good offering for finance and economic policy-making, with the shorter term goal of working in developmental finance (plan A), or, working in risk and data analytic departments of macro driven asset management & investment research firms (Plan B). I am working hard on my goals!!

Kenan Flagler, for one, is a good option for buy side research, but apparently, Wharton, Booth, CBS are blinding the lights out. Can you please make an off-handed suggestion for the names of programs to research in greater detail?

Also, I went through the essay questions of various schools, but did not come across any that point directly towards community service. Is it something that we need to "fit in"?

Best,
Rishu

P.S.: I am worried about school selection because there is hardly enough time to finish 2 applications by Round 2, and choosing the wrong program means waiting another year, which is unaffordable since my current employer gave a week's time to decide and put in my papers in case I plan to go this year. (They will give good recommendation, they just don't want somebody to leave midway next year)
Do you have any programs that offer (limited or basic) help to cash strapped applicants? I will be jobless starting December, so certainly cant afford any premium services, as much as I would like.

I don't think you're going to like my answer. Given your goal, Chicago is a fantastic fit. However, given that CBS has told you it is not considering IR, I would say apply to CBS, which certainly isn't bad. Any chance you can apply to both and Kellogg?

Other schools to consider: Yale, Georgetown, Cornell.

Regarding our assistance, obviously I don't know your budget. Our least expensive purchase is one hour at $270. WE also currently have a special $100 off any order over $1000 (ends Thursday, but will be extended for GC members until Nov. 30). If you think you can afford either of these options, then please let me know and I'll put you in touch with a consultant. He or she will help you figure out with you how best to use our services.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As much as it is tempting to apply to all 3 (Kellogg, Booth, CBS), it would be extremely difficult to finish the applications (satisfactorily) by R2 deadlines, given that I am yet to start writing essays. Moreover, both CBS and Booth top my list. It will be heartbreaking to get dinged from both programs in the same attempt and not have a decent second chance.

I so wish I had the habit of writing a journal or a personal diary. MBA applications would be so much easier. Just pick and choose.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever come across a comparison of the top programs based on the so-called 'fun quotient' and do they tell anything meaningful? After all, its 2 years of life.

Will definitely get back on the packages you mentioned as I finish the research on goals & programs, and settle on the broad outlines of my stories.

Send PM
Expert Reply
rishu19 wrote:
As much as it is tempting to apply to all 3 (Kellogg, Booth, CBS), it would be extremely difficult to finish the applications (satisfactorily) by R2 deadlines, given that I am yet to start writing essays. Moreover, both CBS and Booth top my list. It will be heartbreaking to get dinged from both programs in the same attempt and not have a decent second chance.

I so wish I had the habit of writing a journal or a personal diary. MBA applications would be so much easier. Just pick and choose.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever come across a comparison of the top programs based on the so-called 'fun quotient' and do they tell anything meaningful? After all, its 2 years of life.

Will definitely get back on the packages you mentioned as I finish the research on goals & programs, and settle on the broad outlines of my stories.

Obviously I don't know your other commitments and demands on your time, but for most applicants from now to the early January deadlines does provide enough time to complete 3 applications. Obviously you have to start soon and work steadily. And I am assuming that you are not retaking the GMAT.

Princeton Review may have some kind of fun index, but I nothing comes immediately to mind. I suspect that in either NYC or Chicago, you can always find fun.

We look forward to working with you.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot