Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Can anyone tell me how Johnson notifies us whether or not we receive an interview? E-mail, phone call, text message, snail mail, carrier pigeon, smoke signals, morse code, etc.? The wait is excruciating...

btw- I applied for the AMBA, too
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
seems like Johnson is a "backup" school for the majority of the applicants here. Is there anyone here besides myself for whom it is the first choice?

Johnson is a great school. I wouldnt consider it my backup, if I got into the 3 schools left (MIT, Cornell, Yale), it would be a very difficult decision based on fit. I like Johnson because it seems like a very collaborative environment and the students I met while visiting were great. Just down to Earth people that would be good to go to school with.

Some people might call it a backup, but I think its a great school that is just as good as anywhere else. The only place they have a bit of a tougher time is recruiting, otherwise they are cool.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
crappyapp2 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how Johnson notifies us whether or not we receive an interview? E-mail, phone call, text message, snail mail, carrier pigeon, smoke signals, morse code, etc.? The wait is excruciating...

Carrier penguins. Although cute, they take a bit longer to make the trip...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
seems like Johnson is a "backup" school for the majority of the applicants here. Is there anyone here besides myself for whom it is the first choice?

I find most people over estimate the strength of their candidacy, 720+ gmat + consultant/investment bankers are constantly being rejected by H/S/W - and these people end up clueless as to way.

Unless someone has a truely distintive story to contribute to his/her classmates and manages to present themselves as a great fit to a program then any program with an acceptance rate under 25-30% shouldnt be considered a safety choice in honest, realistic opinion - specially if its an Ivy and has such strong reputation as Cornell.

Cornell is a world renowned brand name, very competitive to get into and has a very distintive program so if someone just applied there because it has a higher acceptance rate chances are they didnt make a wise decision while choosing a safety school.

This is one of the select few schools that if they extend an offer it would be extremely difficult to just turn it down, most definitely not a safety.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
Sharpie wrote:
bond007 wrote:

I find most people over estimate the strength of their candidacy, 720+ gmat + consultant/investment bankers are constantly being rejected by H/S/W - and these people end up clueless as to way.

Unless someone has a truely distintive story to contribute to his/her classmates and manages to present themselves as a great fit to a program then any program with an acceptance rate under 25-30% shouldnt be considered a safety choice in honest, realistic opinion - specially if its an Ivy and has such strong reputation as Cornell.

Cornell is a world renowned brand name, very competitive to get into and has a very distintive program so if someone just applied there because it has a higher acceptance rate chances are they didnt make a wise decision while choosing a safety school.

This is one of the select few schools that if they extend an offer it would be extremely difficult to just turn it down, most definitely not a safety.

Agree 100%. Although cornell may not be my first choice, in no way do I consider it a safety school. An Ivy league, and top 15 program a safety school?? ha.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
crappyapp2 wrote:

Carrier penguins. Although cute, they take a bit longer to make the trip...

If a penguin shows up at my door to invite me to an interview, then my decision of which school to attend just got a whole lot easier. Well played Cornell, well played/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sharpie wrote:
bond007 wrote:

by no means was I saying that it's a safety. I said it appeared to be a backup with most people applying to much higher ranked schools as well. So that if they get into the higher ranked schools they probably woudlnt go to Johnson. anyways like I said for me it's my top choice and would be thrilled to receive an interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Posted from my mobile device [/quote]
by no means was I saying that it's a safety. I said it appeared to be a backup with most people applying to much higher ranked schools as well. So that if they get into the higher ranked schools they probably woudlnt go to Johnson. anyways like I said for me it's my top choice and would be thrilled to receive an interview.[/quote]

I feel you that its your top choice and I also would be thrilled to receive an interview. But I do think you are assuming a lot about the candidates on this board. For some people its all about the rankings I am sure. But a lot of people here find fit more valuable than rankings. I have been dinged by Wharton already, but if I were to get into both MIT and Cornell I would have a lot to think about.

I personally value the small class size of Cornell and the friendliness of the students. I was really overwhelmed by the students I met there. MIT also has a very strong argument to me. The professors seemed great and the students seemed to work harder than any other place I visited. There are many other factors I have in my mind for each school. If I were to just look at rankings MIT would be a slam dunk. But I might miss out on a chance to manage the Cayuga fund or the socials at Sage where I would network with classmates, or trips to NYC to network with firms. And if I were to choose Cornell, there are many things I would miss out on at MIT.

Like most candidates on this board, I only applied to schools that I truly would drop everything going on in my life and attend. There are no backups on my list. I will not quit my job for a safety school. Just because it happens to be on the lower end of the rankings with where I am applying, doesn't make it my backup. If I were to get into everywhere I apply, I would have a tough decision. But the good news is, I wont get in everywhere. I might only get into one. I might get into none. The reason I applied to Cornell is because I value its culture and program, not because I thought I could get in.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
[size=80]
by no means was I saying that it's a safety. I said it appeared to be a backup with most people applying to much higher ranked schools as well. So that if they get into the higher ranked schools they probably woudlnt go to Johnson. anyways like I said for me it's my top choice and would be thrilled to receive an interview.

I feel you that its your top choice and I also would be thrilled to receive an interview. But I do think you are assuming a lot about the candidates on this board. For some people its all about the rankings I am sure. But a lot of people here find fit more valuable than rankings. I have been dinged by Wharton already, but if I were to get into both MIT and Cornell I would have a lot to think about.

I personally value the small class size of Cornell and the friendliness of the students. I was really overwhelmed by the students I met there. MIT also has a very strong argument to me. The professors seemed great and the students seemed to work harder than any other place I visited. There are many other factors I have in my mind for each school. If I were to just look at rankings MIT would be a slam dunk. But I might miss out on a chance to manage the Cayuga fund or the socials at Sage where I would network with classmates, or trips to NYC to network with firms. And if I were to choose Cornell, there are many things I would miss out on at MIT.

Like most candidates on this board, I only applied to schools that I truly would drop everything going on in my life and attend. There are no backups on my list. I will not quit my job for a safety school. Just because it happens to be on the lower end of the rankings with where I am applying, doesn't make it my backup. If I were to get into everywhere I apply, I would have a tough decision. But the good news is, I wont get in everywhere. I might only get into one. I might get into none. The reason I applied to Cornell is because I value its culture and program, not because I thought I could get in.

that's great to hear and very similar reasons for my application as well. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way but I was just going through the topics last year and saw that many people who got into Johnson went on to matriculate at higher ranked schools. Anyways hope you get an interview soon
Manager
Manager
Send PM
No offense taken by me. And I do believe you are right that a lot of people just will flock to the highest ranked program they can get into. Its stupid really, but oh well, it does leave more spots open at Cornell because it decreases their yield. Silly candidates.

Good luck to you too, interview hopefully are coming to us soon!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, I agree with both of you. Cornell has the 7th highest yield along with kellogg. Rankings IMO are only good to have an overview of the top 10-30-50 programs, other than that they are useless. The more people submit last minute apps, thinking they are a shoo-in the better for us ;)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My status finally changed to under review... I was so worried about this since I saw most of you changed the status weeks ago...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
I got an invite! I'm in the midwest. :) It came via email.
Director
Director
Send PM
loismba wrote:

Congrats!
Looks like you're the first US invite, nothing yet on my side (northeast)

When did you submit? When did you go under review?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: , International Business
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
loismba wrote:

congrats!!!!!
I'm still waiting patiently... I'm in NY :)!!
When they invite you for an interview, do they give you a couple of slots on campus and off campus??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
loismba wrote:

Did you apply a few days before the r1 deadline?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Yes - I submitted early, at the end of September. I noticed that I was 'under review' on October 18th. It's crazy I'm the first. I'm sure it's just because I had my app in insanely early before the deadline. I'm sure everyone will start getting invites really soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts