Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [15]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64896 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Re: Many retailers advertise price-matching policies, such as, “In the unl [#permalink]
Karishma,
Thanks for your explanations;
it is in fact a paradox scenario;otherwise, how would someone want to spend more when shops
are farther apart?

So,
D, the OA
says customers believe more in price-matching policies when shops are closer.
No need to visit the next door shop.
However, with far shops, the price-matching policies are believed NOT to represent the true price.
As such, customers travel far to purchase what might be a price advantage for them.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Many retailers advertise price-matching policies, such as, “In the unl [#permalink]
I have a doubt.....
What i understand from the post of karishma that there is a paradox and we need to solve.... Pls help me clear my doubt

The argument states that there is an advt. by a shop that it will return the difference in price if found lower than theirs in other store......The customers don't verify the products whose cost is low but verify the cost of higher priced goods. This is behaviour of customer is unlikely......

We need to explain this unusual behaviour of the customer in terms of " Price matching policies..."

Assume that the customers are aware that all the shops keep their price on lower priced goods same but not for higher priced good.

Hence keeping this in mind customer look for store where they can get the same higher priced product at little bit lower cost comparatively.

Now with this pre thinking answer choices are scanned i feel that C and D are contenders.

C. force nearby competitor stores to reduce their prices in order to retain a market share

I think C clearly states what i have stated in my explanation.

Pls explain whether my assumption is wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Archit143 wrote:
I have a doubt.....
What i understand from the post of karishma that there is a paradox and we need to solve.... Pls help me clear my doubt

The argument states that there is an advt. by a shop that it will return the difference in price if found lower than theirs in other store......The customers don't verify the products whose cost is low but verify the cost of higher priced goods. This is behaviour of customer is unlikely......

We need to explain this unusual behaviour of the customer in terms of " Price matching policies..."

Assume that the customers are aware that all the shops keep their price on lower priced goods same but not for higher priced good.

Hence keeping this in mind customer look for store where they can get the same higher priced product at little bit lower cost comparatively.

Now with this pre thinking answer choices are scanned i feel that C and D are contenders.

C. force nearby competitor stores to reduce their prices in order to retain a market share

I think C clearly states what i have stated in my explanation.

Pls explain whether my assumption is wrong.

Not sure, but it is likely that you may have mixed this question up with some other question.

the argument doesnt deal with consumer behaviour wrt lower/higher priced goods, but it deals with consumer behaviour wrt clustered(closer) shops/not clustered shops.

Ans D it is and rightly so.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64896 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archit143 wrote:
I have a doubt.....

No! The customers don't verify the cost when the shops are closely located i.e. it is easy to verify (the cost to verify is low - they don't have to travel much to verify). They verify when the shops are located far from each other i.e. they have to travel a lot to verify i.e. the cost to verify is high. This is unexpected, isn't it. This is the paradox you need to resolve. See if the argument makes sense now.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
why E is incorrect? E shares the same idea with D
Ah, i see it now, because E does not guarantee that for high-price purchases, customers will make more searches.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts