Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [99]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [30]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [8]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

This is a type of weaken question that asks the test-taker to provide the question that would, when answered, either strengthen or weaken the conclusion. In this exception question, the correct answer will be the question that is not useful in evaluating the conclusion. Choice D is the correct answer because it is the one that is not directly focused on the conclusion, which is the prediction that most fruits will be unavailable in the absence of the honeybees. Choice D poses a very important question about a possible way to reverse the decline in the honeybee population, but the answer to this question would neither strengthen nor weaken the conclusion. Choices A and C ask about potential alternative ways to pollinate the fruit, while Choice E presents the possibility that pollination could be bypassed through genetic engineering. Choice B asks about other fruit-producing regions that might be used as alternative sources of fruit for consumers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Vips0000 wrote:

True, option A looks for potential alternatives for pollination. But it looks for "insect pollination". But even if we find insect X, Y or Z - we still need to evaluate and find out if those insects would not be affected because of pesticides. This definitely can not help in evaluating the argument.
As far as D is concerned - it is not talking about stopping the trend - but it talks about reversal of trend. What it means is if we reduce pesticide bee population will increase -> which shows pollination would happen again -> consumer can get fruits. So it weakens argument when answered in affirmative.

The OE is definitely not correct.

I guess D is correct answer because the conclusion states "Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers."
That is -> the conclusion is contingent on the basis only when "honey bee population continues this drastic decline". Per D, if we can reverse or not reverse the trend is irrelevant to issue of getting fruits (given the bees continue to decline)
In other words, we have evaluate all the answer choice considering what will happen if the trend continues.

Makes sense?

Cheers

cheers
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Jp27 wrote:
If I'm in Pasir Ris New Town then I'm in Singapore.
If im NOT in Singapore then I'm Definitely NOT in Pasir Ris New Town

Mumbai is in india.
If i'm not in india -> then i'm not in mumbai.

I don't see any difference between two. but you claim otherwise. :oops:

Cheers

Difference is in these statements: -

If statement is:
Mumbai is in india.

Logical deduction->
If i'm in mubai ->then i'm in india

Correct Negation
If i'm not in india -> then i'm not in mumbai.
Incorrect Negation
If i'm not in mumbai-> then i'm not in india

Having explained that - I think both of us are not going to be convinced. I rest my case :-D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32866 [3]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Vips0000 wrote:
nelz007 wrote:
In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the United States has been cut in half. The decline is due primarily to the increasing use of pesticides in the United States, as well as to the introduction of two types of mites that weaken and kill the bees. Honeybees are the primary pollinators for a variety of important fruit crops, including oranges, apples, grapes, peaches, cranberries and watermelons. Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.

In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful to answer?

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?

Conclusion is: if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.
Lets see each choice one by one.

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
Even if the ans to this question is yes, chances are pesticides would eliminate those insects as well. note, we are evaluating this conclusion in the light of decline in bee population due to pesticides.
Therefore yes or no in this question does not matter in evaluating the argument.

B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
conclusion is that most fruits will no longer be available to customer. If the ans to this question is no that means there will be pollination and there will be fruits. if ans to this question is yes then we know that conclusion holds good. So this question helps.

C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
Yes/no to this question provides alternate method of pollination. if yes ->pollination -> fruits. if no -> no pollination -> no fruit. So this question helps.

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
yes would mean if population continues to decline we can reverse the trend.-> continue pollination->fruits!
no would mean we can not reverse the trend -> no pollination->no fruits.

E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?[/
in this choice we are just eliminating middle man pollination of our other answer choices.. yes->fruits, no->no fruits.

Hence ans A it is.

No the answer here is D.

You are concerned ONLY of pollination or something related directly to it

The least is something that talks about others stuff.

For the argument at end: pesticide is the LEAST for evaluating the argument because is not the main point

Quote:
In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful to answer?

B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions (the pollination is implied), like Chile and New Zealand?
E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?

;)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmacforjyoab wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I agree with what you have said above. But the reason I felt A was just as strong as D ,was , since the argument already states that honeybees are the PRIMARY POLLINATORS for these fruits. So we already know that there are other pollinators that could pollinate these fruits. So when you think on these lines, A doesn't really help much , since we already know the answer to this from the argument itself. Although I do agree that D doesn't help in evaluating the argument either . So I cant figure out a way to justifiably pick one over the other.

-Jyothi

The argument only says that the honeybees are primary pollinators for these fruits. It doesn't mean there are other insect pollinators that could be used to pollinate. If honeybees are not there, the primary pollinator will be gone and little pollination may take place through other mediums such as wind/some other insects - we don't know. What (A) is trying to evaluate is whether there are other insect pollinators which could pollinate these crops (the use of 'could' tells you that they probably don't pollinate these crops right now). We are looking for an alternative primary pollinator.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote: and i just couldn't understand how would pollinating a fruit that has been pollinated by bees help? as in, isn't it already pollinated?

you are not parsing the option C correctly

C is trying to look out for a possibility where in the plants that are presently being pollinated by honeybees CAN be pollinated by humans ?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
Lucky i got this answer right. But i have a very fundamental question. I was stuck between C and D. Reason being that C states 'Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees' and i just couldn't understand how would pollinating a fruit that has been pollinated by bees help? as in, isn't it already pollinated?

Sorry for such a basic question but i was very close to picking C over D for this reason.

I understand your confusion. The intent of the option is that can humans pollinate the fruit which, till now, has been pollinated by bees?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Hello,

Well answer (D) is very well explained by Veritas Prep and indeed it is very important concept for GMAT.

But what about (B). It is mentioned in explanation that (B) is helpful in evaluating the conclusion because it could be "Alternate method to get fruits" but how:

- First there is no evidence in the argument to suggest that there are vegetables/fruits import in US from NZ and CH.
- Secondly argument clearly mention about ONLY US

(B) could be considered if the argument specified "Decreased availability for consumers around the world"

Any experts thoughts on this please?

Thanks
Vikas

Note that the question asks you this: "In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful?"

None of the other four options will actually give you an alternative method of fruit or pollination. They will only HELP you in evaluating an alternative.

(B) asks "Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions?" If you answer "No", then another question could be "Can fruits be imported from these regions?" and so on... (B) is a step towards evaluating an alternative means of obtaining fruit. It is a useful question.

The other options are also steps towards evaluating alternative means of obtaining fruit or alternative means of pollination.

(D) provides no help in evaluating the conclusion and hence is "LEAST" useful (another way of saying "Not useful" because you cannot judge the relative utility of options).
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Divyadisha wrote:
Hi! All,

Certainly a confusing question.

Well, the conclusion says that consumers will not be able to get the fruits. Now to evaluate the conclusion there could be below possible choices:-
1) There is no other method to pollinate fruits in the US other than pollination by bees
2) Consumers can not get the fruit supply from places other than US

Please help if my understanding of choice ‘D’ is correct. It says that reducing the use of pesticide may increase/decrease the honey bee population. But it does not consider the other cause of decline in Bee population-two types of mites. So this choice does not guarantee an answer to our questions while evaluation.

Thanks

The reason for honey bee population decline has absolutely NOTHING to do with the conclusion. So whether a reversal is possible or not is also completely irrelevant. That is the reason (D) is not useful is evaluating the conclusion.

What is the conclusion?

"If the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers."

Note that the conclusion is a conditional: "If this happens, that will happen."
You don't have to worry about whether "this" will happen or not. All you have to worry about is if "this" does happen, will "that" happen?

Check the explanation given here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-past-5 ... l#p1143709
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KS15 wrote:
IMO answer should be B. Having said that, I am not happy with the quality of this question given GMAT has only one correct choice and 4 incorrect choices.

Option (B) is incorrect. There is only one correct option and that is (D).
Check this link for explanation: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-past-5 ... l#p1143709

Further, check out this detailed post on this question: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/11 ... onclusion/
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Divyadisha wrote:

HI! Karishma,

Thanks for replying, but I am a bit confused now. You are saying that honey bee population has nothing to do with the conclusion; whereas, the conclusion says that decline in population will result in unavailability of fruits. So, certainly the population is important.

From the shared link I understand that we need to eliminate those options where decline in population has no role in availability of fruits and the flowers can be pollinated by other means.

But for choice ‘D’ if we take two extremes, I feel that the option makes sense to evaluate the argument
- YES. reducing the use of pesticide will reverse the decline (increase honey bee population)- Reduction of pesticide will help.
- NO. Reducing the use of pesticide will not reverse the decline- Reduction will not help

Please advise if there is any gap in my understanding.

Divya, the point is that whether a reversal is possible or not is immaterial to the conclusion.

Let me re-iterate:

What is the conclusion?

"If the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers."

Note that the conclusion is a conditional: "If this happens, that will happen."
You don't have to worry about whether "this" will happen or not. All you have to worry about is if "this" does happen, will "that" happen?

As an example:
"If I flunk, I will need to take the test again."

If you want to evaluate this opinion, you will try to figure out what I should do if I flunk and whether taking the test again is the only option or only good option etc. Will you evaluate whether I will flunk or not? No. That is not the point of concern here. The point is what I should do if I do flunk.

Check out this question on my blog post: https://anaprep.com/critical-reasoning- ... -question/

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 24 Aug 2015, 21:12.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 09 Aug 2023, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HCalum11 wrote:
This is a classic trap on hard CR questions...for B, nowhere does it say that we are only concerned with fruits in America. We are concerned with the availability of "most fruits" to consumers. So intuitively, if we knew about supply coming from other fruit producing regions, we would know more about the availability of "most fruit". Agree that D isn't a perfect answer, but recognizing B is a trap makes finding the real answer a lot easier.

You are spot on where (B) is concerned.
But (D) is the perfect answer. There can be no debate on it. The moment I will read it, I will mark it. I might not even take a look at (E) anymore. Look at my explanation given to Divya just two posts above yours.
Understanding that (D) is perfect is one of the core skills required in GMAT CR.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Alok322 wrote:

I am slightly confused about option C. Option C talks about hand pollination method for fruits that are already pollinated by bees. How is it relevant to the argument? Once the bees are extinct, we cant do much about this pollination technique. Can you please clarify?

Check the explanation to all options here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-past-5 ... l#p1143709

(C) provides an alternative method of pollinating - by hand. If we are able to hand pollinate the fruit, then we don't need honey bees to pollinate them and hence, even if the population of bees declines, fruit will still be available.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
IMO OA is D

The conclusion is 'most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.'

-> Useful.
Yes : US people can use those fruits by replacing bees as a polinator.
No : US people cannot use those fruits.
-> Useful
Yes : US people can use those fruits by importing other countries.
No : US people cannot use those fruits because US(no more poilinators) is the only country to produce those fruits.
-> Useful
Yes : Without pollinators, US people can produce those fruits.
No : Same as C
-> Useless!!!
The passage argues that use of pesticides are primarily reason.
Enen though reducing the use of pesticides, there is still possibility that most fruits will no longer be available to consumers
-> Useful
Yes : Same as C
No : Same as C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Wohoooo.A great question this one.Chuffed to have got this correct.

Key are the words "if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline"..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [1]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasKarishma - per the conclusion - "if x happens, "MOST FRUITS" will no longer be available to consumers.

Question 1) should one assume that when "MOST FRUITS" is mentioned, the author of the argument is referring to
a) Fruits home - grown in America (on American farms)
OR
b) Fruits imported from other countries into America (example : Alfonso mangoes in USA are obviously imported from Asia as these types of mangoes cannot be grown in the USA)
OR
c) both [home grown fruits will not be available and imported fruits from other countries will also not be available]

I assumed "MOST FRUITS" was referring to option A only

Was that a mistake on my part ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
The key thing to focus on and spot in this conclusion is its hypothetical nature.

The conclusion is basically saying “in the event” the honeybee population keeps declining in the United States, most of the fruit will unavailable.

The conclusion is, in a sense, already telling you that the honeybee population is going to continually decline in the U.S. All we need to focus on is the hypothetical scenario. Whether the pesticides can be reversed is not relevant. The conclusion has already set up the “world” we are in, and in this “world” the honeybee populations will keep declining.

I believe the preceding information about why the honeybee population is declining is designed to pull you away from the exact conclusion.

So, in this scenario in which the honeybee population keeps declining significantly in the United States, w.o.t.f. would help us to know whether or not most fruit will be unavailable?

Mark those four answers that help us evaluate the conclusion with a yes. The one left out will be the correct answer.

B would help us to evaluate whether, in the scenario in which the honeybee population keeps declining in the US, most fruit will be unavailable. If fruit is available in other countries, then this will weaken the argument. If fruit is not available in other countries, then it’s more likely the conclusion is valid.

What D says does not help us evaluate this specific conclusion and whether it is valid or not. Even if we could reverse the pesticide use and bring back the bees in the US, it would not impact THIS SPECIFIC conclusion. This conclusion is focusing on the scenario in which the honeybee population keeps declining.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts