Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Re: Requesting A Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey there, good to see you back!

And thanks for all this additional info.

Overall things look pretty good for you. You have the good amount of experience, the right GMAT, good grades overall. A few nice extra stuff to, to kind of fill out your profile. So that's very good. I still think you have good chances at the schools I mentioned. Wharton is still a bit of a stretch, and Yale is somewhere between competitive and stretch.

Upon rereading your emails, and understanding y our goals better, one thing I find curious is your school choice - Asia focused and then two schools in the US which certainly would be awesome, but I don't know if they are necessarily the most logical for your goals (although for B consulting any school can work). I'd suggest having a look into INSEAD, Tuck, Ross, Haas as well (And actually there are many more options if I can get a clearer idea of why you chose the schools you did.

I hope this helps you out, and feel free to post more thoughts here.
VP
VP
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there, good to see you back!

And thanks for all this additional info.

Overall things look pretty good for you. You have the good amount of experience, the right GMAT, good grades overall. A few nice extra stuff to, to kind of fill out your profile. So that's very good. I still think you have good chances at the schools I mentioned. Wharton is still a bit of a stretch, and Yale is somewhere between competitive and stretch.

Upon rereading your emails, and understanding y our goals better, one thing I find curious is your school choice - Asia focused and then two schools in the US which certainly would be awesome, but I don't know if they are necessarily the most logical for your goals (although for B consulting any school can work). I'd suggest having a look into INSEAD, Tuck, Ross, Haas as well (And actually there are many more options if I can get a clearer idea of why you chose the schools you did.

I hope this helps you out, and feel free to post more thoughts here.

Hi Jon.,

Thanks for the prompt reply.. I, like many other people new to the b-school research world, went with those choices solely with the rankings as given by financial times (Their (unreal) salary projections were apparently adjusted for purchasing power parity.. :)) :oops: After a bit of research, I feel only a US MBA would serve my purpose (having no professional business study history, a 2 year program would probably serve me better). So the schools I had mentioned in my original post are sort of obsolete now.. Could you please suggest a completely fresh set of schools?.. I would also need to apply to some safe schools because I definitely cannot postpone my MBA to after 2014...
Admissionado
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Well, given your GMAT and your scores and everything, I would say that a good strategy for you would be to apply to min. 5 schools (more if you can, it's always better), of them 2-3 in the Top 10, and then 2 in the top 20, and maybe one safe school in the top 30-40 (not 100% sure you need this). Beyond that, honestly for your goals ANY school would fit. I mean every program offers strong opportunities for General management and entrepreneurship. After that I would then suggest you base your school selection within those ranges on fit and location, which you have to tell ME about and not the opposite!

If you have any further questions about any specific schools you are thinking about, just ask away...
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello again Jon.,

With some basic research, I've decided upon the following schools :
Columbia
Anderson
Johnson
McCombs
Marshall
Kelley

However, I am not convinced that Kelley can be considered a safetey school. Can you let me know if I should make any changes, additions or deletions?

P.S : I also like CMU Tepper very much. However, I had already applied for R2 this year and things don't seem good. My problem is, if I apply again for next year, there wont be any significant difference in my profile. I will only have to work on the way I present it. (Now that I look back on it, my resume was horrible and did not mention each of my positions as promotions. Infact, my profile here looks better than my resume). Is it possible for me to just apply again as a fresh applicant or should I apply only as a reapplicant??
Admissionado
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Looks good overall. And yes, I would say Kelley can be considered a safe school for you.

Actually to tell you the truth, I think you can add one more top school to your list. (Tuck, Fuqua, Kellogg). It's like being in a bar and trying to pick up a young lady - you might as well just go for the prettiest, even if chances are low.. because who knows??? It might happen!

And you have really good numbers... :)

I understand your thoughts about Tepper, and agree, but if you really like the program, don't reject it altogether. Maybe save it for a R2 application, which is almost 9 months away, and by then you may have lots of new stuff in your profile (it's even enough time for a baby)

:o
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts