Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2444 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1043 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Jones '15
Send PM
Re: Flooding has been and it will continue to be a problem that [#permalink]
Flooding has been and it will continue to be a problem that grows as more and more pavement is put
down, concentrating runoff.

A. Flooding has been and it will continue to be a problem that grows as more and more pavement is put down,
concentrating runoff. what does modifier concentrating runoff relate to?
B. Flooding—a problem that has been and will continue to grow as more and more pavement is put down,
concentrating runoff. what does modifier concentrating runoff relate to?
C. Flooding, which is an old problem that will continue to grow due to concentrated runoff as more and more
pavement is put down. concentrated runoff is an effect, not a cause - changes meaning
D. Flooding from concentrated runoff as more and more pavement is put down has been and it will continue to
be a problem that grows. . concentrated runoff is an effect, not a cause - changes meaning
E. Flooding has been and will continue to be a problem, and it will grow as more and more pavement is put down,
concentrating runoff. correct
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A. Flooding has been and it will continue to be a problem that grows as more and more pavement is put down,
concentrating runoff. –---- the correct choice
B. Flooding—a problem that has been and will continue to grow as more and more pavement is put down,
concentrating runoff. --- a fragment; no verb for the subject ‘flooding’
C. Flooding, which is an old problem that will continue to grow due to concentrated runoff as more and more
pavement is put down. ----- a fragment; no verb for the subject ‘flooding’
D. Flooding from concentrated runoff as more and more pavement is put down has been and it will continue to
be a problem that grows. --- The first part does not signify what flooding has been. ‘Flooding from’ is inappropriate in the context since there is cause and effect. Flooding due to would be better.
E. Flooding has been and will continue to be a problem and it will grow as more and more pavement is put down,
concentrating runoff. --- Change of meaning---- The original says that the problem will continue to grow while this choice says flooding will grow. . Actually only the problem can grow and not the flooding per se. So wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2444 [0]
Send PM
daagh wrote:
concentrating runoff. –---- the correct choice

concentrating runoff. --- Change of meaning---- The original says that the problem will continue to grow while this choice says flooding will grow. . Actually only the problem can grow and not the flooding per se. So wrong

Hi daagh,
what is the difference between (i) and (ii) below?
(i)Flooding has been and IT will continue to be a problem
(ii)Flooding has been and will continue to be a problem
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Both mean the same although the ‘it’ in the first choice is redundant. The second version means the same thing even without the ‘it’.

For example, we don’t have to say: I will go to New York next month and I will stay there for 10 days. It will suffice to say: I will go to New York and will stay there for 10 days or even better, ‘I will go to New York and stay there for 10 days’.

But that is not the crux of my point in rejecting E. Look at this please

A. Flooding has been and it will continue to be a problem that grows as more and more pavement is put down, concentrating runoff.

E. Flooding has been and will continue to be a problem and it will grow as more and more pavement is put down, concentrating runoff.

The question is what will grow? Is it the flooding or the problem? By virtue of the pronoun ‘it’, which refers to the subject of the sentence, namely, flooding, E means to say that flooding will grow. I don’t think ‘that flooding will grow and the problem of flooding will grow’ are both the same. This is just my opinion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
gmatbull wrote:
Flooding has been and it will continue to be a problem that grows as more and more pavement is put

concentrating runoff.
concentrating runoff.
pavement is put down.
be a problem that grows.
E. Flooding has been and will continue to be a problem, and it will grow as more and more pavement is put down,
concentrating runoff.

wow a toughie...!
Options A and D use a pronoun referrent for Flooding incorrectly. Without a comma separator, you cannot use a pronoun for the same subject. Had A been, "Flooding has been, and it will bla bla" then it would have been a better choice. B and C are disasters because they don't have the main verb.
As daagh said in earlier posts that flooding can't grow but a problem can, but IMO here lies the trick. "Flooding has been and will CONTINUE TO BE A PROBLEM." It implies that Flooding is a problem and as a problem, it will continue to grow. So my take is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2444 [0]
Send PM
Also, i think we need to understand the meaning of the closing modifier "concentrating runoff"
runoff; "The occurrence of surplus liquid (as water) exceeding the limit or capacity"

I asked myself: what leads to "concentrating runoff"? Is it
(i) problem that grows leads to more runoffs ...or
(ii) flooding that grows leads to more runoffs

Guys what do you think?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
gmatbull wrote:
Also, i think we need to understand the meaning of the closing modifier "concentrating runoff"
runoff; "The occurrence of surplus liquid (as water) exceeding the limit or capacity"

I asked myself: what leads to "concentrating runoff"? Is it
(i) problem that grows leads to more runoffs ...or
(ii) flooding that grows leads to more runoffs

Guys what do you think?

IM Strong O its flooding.
What do u think
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
IMO, neither. It is the more and more pavement that is put down is leading to the run-off as paved surfaces do not permit percolation and absorption of water
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
leod wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

concentrating runoff.
concentrating runoff.
pavement is put down.
be a problem that grows.
concentrating runoff.

A: Unnecessary repetition of the subject with the use of "it"

B: Fragment sentence Flooding is missing a working verb

C: Fragment sentence: Same

D: Same as A, only further down the road + Wordy, awkward inversions

E: Correct by POE

Seems to me that has been & will continue is redundant. Source?

I have come across this sentence somwhere donno source exactly

In that it was mentioned that has been and it will continue this is redundant so can be replaced with will continue.
Anyways flooding still continues. so has been and it will continue is redundant.

Will post if i find this source....

-- Shan
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts