Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [26]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V19 GMAT 2: 620  Q44  V31
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: State Department of Education [#permalink]
Kudos
It seems B as the same tense (future) is being used in both parts.

A will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates (it should be "evaluate" not "evaluates" as the future tense is being used in the first part)
B will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate
C is responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate (it should be "evaluates" not "evaluate")
D is being responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and for evaluating ("is being" is wrong)
E is responsible for instructions in the appropriate teaching environment and will be evaluating (will be evaluating is not parallel)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Could someone please explain why evaluate is correct. I though successful instructor (singular) should match with evaluates (singular). Also please explain how future tense will be is parallel with evaluate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi all,
kindly suggest why B is preferred over A and E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
BellTheGmat wrote:
In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates student learning.
A will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates
B will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate
C is responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate
D is being responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and for evaluating
E is responsible for instructions in the appropriate teaching environment and will be evaluating

Can anyone guide me which one is being tested - parallelism or sub-verb agreement or idiom or...

Yeah this is kind of strange.....because choice B rhyms [i]responsible ...with..evaluate [/i] but "adhereing" which is in first portion could be matched with "evaluating" but "being" is the hurdle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Let us edit the text a little to make it clearer.

In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor will (be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and (will) evaluate student learning.) The important thing to remember here is that the – will - in the second part is elliptical, unmentioned but understood.

The instructor will have to do two things, because these are duties that are associated with his actual work in the future. . So a future tense is required and present tense is inappropriate.

In A –evaluates - does gel with the -will - of the first part
B - will be responsible and (will) evaluate is the correct expression
C -(The instructor) is responsible …. and the instructor evaluate – miss both parallelism and SV agreement

D - Is being responsible is an untouchable expression in the GMAT domain
E - present tense in the first part and will be evaluating in the second part are unsymmetrical

So B is the best bet.

Thanks...Good Explanation...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of [#permalink]
The original sentence contains an error in parallel form. The successful instructor will do two things: 1) be responsible for instruction and 2) evaluate student learning. Even though the verb form is responsible is technically possible in this sentence, the answer choices that use it introduce other types of errors or redundancies.

Option "B" displays correct parallel form between the words will be responsible and evaluate, and this answer choice introduces no other errors.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hii daagh.
I have just been through this question and chose the correct answer, found B better than E.
But I feel E only changes the meaning, nothing else. As per the explanation provided by you, the two tenses are not parallel. But consider this:-" The instructor is responsible for instruction and will be evaluating student learning". This implies that currently instructor is instructing students and later on he will be evaluating the student learning. Can you please take the pain and elaborate why B is better than E.
Moreover, in D "is being responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and for evaluating...". In this option, since evaluating is a verb, can it stand after a preposition.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
@ Marcab

The text does not say that these are attributes of existing teachers. If so, then the use of the present tense for one factor and the future progressive for the other factor is asymmetrical and grammatically incorrect. This is clear shift of tense. To say that the teacher is responsible for instruction now and will evaluate learning later on is not how stipulations are expressed.
Both are simultaneous processes. So E isn’t my choice.

In D: Evaluating as such cannot become a verb, unless it is attached to a helping verb such as be, is or are etc as in is evaluating, are evaluating, am evaluating and will be evaluating etc. Here it is used as gerund, in the place of evaluation just as in - for instruction- for instructing- etc
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
Hii daagh.
I have just been through this question and chose the correct answer, found B better than E.
But I feel E only changes the meaning, nothing else. As per the explanation provided by you, the two tenses are not parallel. But consider this:-" The instructor is responsible for instruction and will be evaluating student learning". This implies that currently instructor is instructing students and later on he will be evaluating the student learning. Can you please take the pain and elaborate why B is better than E.
Moreover, in D "is being responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and for evaluating...". In this option, since evaluating is a verb, can it stand after a preposition.

Hi Marcab,

I ll try to brief... If not v ll get help from others :-D

In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor is responsible for instructions in the appropriate teaching environment and will be evaluating student learning.

This distorts actual meaning... This sentence is a additional qualities needed for instructor...
So this states Successful instructor will be X and will be Y...
But in above sentence i hope we cant infer this meaning..

But this helps...
In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and [will] evaluate student learning.

Please correct me if i'm wrong

---
Shan
Director
Director
Send PM
daagh wrote:
@ Marcab

The text does not say that these are attributes of existing teachers. If so, then the use of the present tense for one factor and the future progressive for the other factor is asymmetrical and grammatically incorrect. This is clear shift of tense. To say that the teacher is responsible for instruction now and will evaluate learning later on is not how stipulations are expressed.
Both are simultaneous processes. So E isn’t my choice.

In D: Evaluating as such cannot become a verb, unless it is attached to a helping verb such as be, is or are etc as in is evaluating, are evaluating, am evaluating and will be evaluating etc. Here it is used as gerund, in the place of evaluation just as in - for instruction- for instructing- etc

Got your point. Thanks.
But I would like to ask one more thing. How did you infered that these attributes are not representative of the current teachers. Suppose, if there had been an option which stated these attributes in present tense, then could that option be a correct one. Moreover, I would really appreciate if you please write such an option. I tried writing option E in the above manner but could'nt since responsible and evaluate cannot become parallel.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Marcab

A simple current situation sentence will be:

In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor is responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates student learning.

If this choice were there, I don’t think B would have been there, because there is no room for two correct choices in AGMAT topic. But between B and this present tense choice, I would rather prefer this, since a) this obviates the need for an elliptical writing and b) a present tense can stand for generalizations that may happen in the future too.

I have also given the reason why I surmise that this is talking about the future questions.
Director
Director
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Marcab

A simple current situation sentence will be:

In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor is responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates student learning.

If this choice were there, I don’t think B would have been there, because there is no room for two correct choices in AGMAT topic. But between B and this present tense choice, I would rather prefer this, since a) this obviates the need for an elliptical writing and b) a present tense can stand for generalizations that may happen in the future too.

I have also given the reason why I surmise that this is talking about the future questions.

In the sentence you wrote, what is the grammatical role played by "responsible"? Is it a noun?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Responsible is normally an adjective. But it becomes part of the verb when added to the helping verb ‘is’
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hii daagh.

are the two blue shaded portions parallel to each other?
If yes, then please explain it Daagh.
Is "responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment " a verbal phrase?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am afraid you are ignoring the linking verb ‘is’, without which ‘responsible’ by itself can’t stand. ‘Is responsible’ is a present tense verb and perectly // to another present tense verb ‘evaluates’. For more info on such adjective uses, please see

https://www.toeflskill.com/2011/08/adjec ... ll-25.html
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks daagh.
The link indeed helped.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
You are welcome, and before I forget, I ahve to tell you that I have great pleasure in kudoing you for your doggerd and focussed enthusiasm to acquire knowledge.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts