Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [45]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The TGV, France's high-speed train, set a record in 2007 to [#permalink]
IMO D
This option is using correct parallelism: shuttles....averages...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
crazy priya :IMO D

but also look that the intent of the sentence is to show the setting of the record and by putting that in comma ,as in D , we are changing the meaning of the sentence .not that i am in favour of A

TO the original poster : after putting the question u have not put the OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
crazy priya :IMO D

but also look that the intent of the sentence is to show the setting of the record and by putting that in comma ,as in D , we are changing the meaning of the sentence .not that i am in favour of A

TO the original poster : after putting the question u have not put the OA

I am in the opinion of D. The reasons given by the folks above are the same that i am thinking of too. D is the best choice!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mangomangodolly wrote:
The TGV, France's high-speed train, set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, which shuttles passengers from Lorraine to Champagne-Ardenne and averages over 293 kilometers per hour (173 miles per hour).

A. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, which shuttles
B. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttling
C. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, it shuttles
D. which set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttles
E. setting a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train; it shuttled

Responding to a pm:

Break down the sentence:

The TGV, - subject
France's high-speed train, - An Appositive - renames the noun right before it. We might as well ignore it
set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, - rest of the main clause
which shuttles passengers from Lorraine to Champagne-Ardenne and averages over 293 kilometers per hour (173 miles per hour) - a modifier modifying the fastest non magnetic train.

Isn't there a problem here? Obviously, the last modifier is talking about TGV and not the generic 'fastest non magnetic train'. TGV is the one which shuttles passengers from Lorraine to Champagne-Ardenne and averages over 293 kilometers per hour (173 miles per hour)

Let's look at the sentence structure of (D) now.
The TGV, which set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttles passengers from Lorraine to Champagne-Ardenne and averages over 293 kilometers per hour (173 miles per hour).

Here, the main clause is 'The TGV shuttles passengers from Lorraine to Champagne-Ardenne and averages over 293 kilometers per hour (173 miles per hour).' which makes perfect sense.
'which set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train,' is a modifier modifying TGV which again makes perfect sense.

As for the issue of 'which' modifying 'France's high-speed train', there is no problem here. 'which' is modifying 'train'. The possessive 'France's' just modifies the train too. The structure is absolutely fine. Take an example:

Abby's car, which is red in color, is working fine.
The sentence is correct. 'which is red in color' modifies the car.

Take another example:

This car belongs to Abby, my best friend. - Correct
This car is Abby's, my best friend. - Incorrect. This is where we are trying to modify the possessive and that is a problem.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
hi Karishma,

in the appositive case 'which' refers to the subject whom appositive is modifying.

The TGV, France's high-speed train,which set a....
here which modifies TGV

in option A.
The TGV, France's high-speed train, set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, which shuttles

here which modifies train not the TGV as preceding clause is not appositive.

pls correct if i am wrong.

br//Surya
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
suryav wrote:
hi Karishma,

in the appositive case 'which' refers to the subject whom appositive is modifying.

The TGV, France's high-speed train,which set a....
here which modifies TGV

The appositive just renames the noun so it doesn't matter in either case. We can say that 'which' modifies TGV or 'France's high speed train' since they both refer to the same thing.

suryav wrote:
in option A.
The TGV, France's high-speed train, set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, which shuttles

here which modifies train not the TGV as preceding clause is not appositive.

pls correct if i am wrong.

br//Surya

'set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train' is part of the main clause and 'which' after that modifies 'the fastest nonmagnetic train'. In this case, 'shuttles passengers ... and averages ...' becomes a characteristic of the 'fastest nonmagnetic train' which is not correct. 'fastest nonmagnetic train' does not stand for TGV. In the past, some other train might have been the 'fastest nonmagnetic train'.
'shuttles passengers ... and averages ...' is a characteristic of TGV and the same should be implied by the sentence.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
HI Karishma
New doubt has arisen..
You pointeed out that ther are two modifiers in case of option A...and they point to 2 different things.....
i do not think there is any problem for the modifiers to point to different things...Yes meaning wise it points subtle difference. As in A says "There are many high speed trains. and TGV is the fastest among the high speed trains that runs on the the route mentioned. However the case is that TGV is infact the fastest among trains on any route....

Am i correct in my interpretation..
Archit
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Archit143 wrote:
HI Karishma
New doubt has arisen..
You pointeed out that ther are two modifiers in case of option A...and they point to 2 different things.....
i do not think there is any problem for the modifiers to point to different things...Yes meaning wise it points subtle difference. As in A says "There are many high speed trains. and TGV is the fastest among the high speed trains that runs on the the route mentioned. However the case is that TGV is infact the fastest among trains on any route....

Am i correct in my interpretation..
Archit

Consider these sentences and tell me which one works:

Bolt set the world record in 2009 to become the fastest man, who can run 100m in 9.58 secs.
Bolt, who set the world record in 2009 to become the fastest man, can run 100m in 9.58 secs.

Logically, 'who can run' should not modify 'the fastest man' because it is not the characteristic of the fastest man. Both 'fastest man' and 'who can run 100 m in 9.58 secs' are characteristics of Bolt. It just so happens that right now, Bolt is the fastest man. Tomorrow, some one else could be the fastest man.

Anyway, you have the second option (given as D in the question) which is certainly more accurate and logical.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Another tough one. Meaning is very important here to arrive at correct answer D as explained by daagh Sir. I marked the answer as A but later realized my mistake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, which shuttles --- The comma after train is the spoil sport; the info that is cocooned between the two comma, renders that info essential. Now if you remove it, for the sake checking construction, you will find it the whole sentence is a fragment

B. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttling ---1 again the same problem a in A; 2 shuttling is not // to averages. 3. Shuttles and averages are the principal verbs; relegating them to modifier is illogical predication

C. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, it shuttles – a run on

D. which set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttles; ---because this relative clause is an additional info which can be dispensed with, the verb – set - is no more a part of the list that needs parallelism. It may be noted that the comma after the train also smugly fits in with the requirement of --, which -- . IMO, the best choice. The relative clause that describes the onetime event of the rains record- break is relegated to a modifier clause, allowing the remaining part to display the main verbs in // manner.

E. setting a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train; it shuttlled ------ 1 The first part is a fragment. 2. In the second part, shuttled is wrong tense and in addition, does not // averages.

hii, sir in the above explanation about option A , did you mean by the line i mean about this comma before the train ( The TGV, France's high-speed train,)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
The TGV, France's high-speed train, set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, which shuttles passengers from Lorraine to Champagne-Ardenne and averages over 293 kilometers per hour (173 miles per hour).

D. which set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttles correct, corrects parallelism issue
E. setting a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train; it shuttled
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
nks2611
Yes. The comma after the TGV, France's high-speed train,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1190
Send PM
hariprasad wrote:
mangomangodolly wrote:

To me D seems to be the answer.. My expln as follows..

C & E can be easily eliminated.. C - Run on sentence after comma and E - tense error because of 'shuttled'..
I felt that 'shuttles' should be parallel to 'averages' and so I go with D.. A and B do not meet this criteria..

OA plz??

daagh : what is a run on sentence and how to identify it. ??...pls help.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
IIMC wrote:
hariprasad wrote:
mangomangodolly wrote:

To me D seems to be the answer.. My expln as follows..

C & E can be easily eliminated.. C - Run on sentence after comma and E - tense error because of 'shuttled'..
I felt that 'shuttles' should be parallel to 'averages' and so I go with D.. A and B do not meet this criteria..

OA plz??

daagh : what is a run on sentence and how to identify it. ??...pls help.

Here is a post on run-on sentences:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2015/0 ... questions/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The TGV, France's high-speed train, set a record in 2007 to [#permalink]
Was struck between B and D.

Finally chose D.

A. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, which shuttles - "which" incorrectly refers to magnetic train => meaning, TGV was fastest of the non-magnetic trains that shuttles between Champagne-Ardenne

B. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttling - shutting not parallel with averages

C. set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, it shuttles - run on sentence

D. which set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttles - correct choice. "which" correctly refers to TGV, also shuttles and averages parallel

E. setting a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train; it shuttled - First part is fragment

Experts, is my reasoning correct, especially choice A elimination?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
which set a record in 2007 to become the fastest nonmagnetic train, shuttles

D is correct answer
B is tempting but it is not correct as sentence Requires use of which to avoid fragment and Particular activity which is still going on and true must use present tense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Architecture (Real Estate)
Send PM
Here non underlined part is important,

And averages so only thing in options which is parallel to averages is shuttles so D is the answer

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts