Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [12]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [11]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Jones '15
Send PM
Re: The bylaws of a corporation specify how the directors of the corporati [#permalink]
Bookmarks
The bylaws of a corporation specify how the directors of the corporation are to be elected, whether the existing stockholders will have first right to buy any new stock issued by the firm, as well as duties of management committees.
(A) as well as duties of management committeesshould be the duties
(B) as well as the duties that the management committees havehave - should be more like should have or will be
(C) and that the management committees have dutiesit should specify what duties they have not that they have them
(D) outlining the duties of management committeesoutlining - wrong tense
(E) and what the duties of management committees will beCorrect
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: The bylaws of a corporation specify how the directors of the corporati [#permalink]
Marcab nice explanation but can you pls detail the principle involved and help me in eliminating D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Send PM
Regarding D, do notice one point. The "comma" is followed by an verb-ing.
Whenever this happens, it implies:
i) The clause after comma is the result of the preceding clause.

Now in D, ask yourself is "outlining the duties of management committees" the effect of the preceding clause "whether the existing stockholders will have first right to buy any new stock issued by the firm".

Still if you are not certain, let me know. I will try my best.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Good One Marcab
Can you give an example for 3rd point mentioned in your explanation, which deals with and , but.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Archit143 wrote:
Good One Marcab
Can you give an example for 3rd point mentioned in your explanation, which deals with and , but.

Clause X, modifier, Clause Y.
What do you think the modifier will modify, is it clause X or clause Y. To eliminate this ambiguity "but", "and" etc can be used as separators and act as "walls" to prevent the clause to be modified by the modifier, eliminating ambiguity.

i) Clause X, "and" modifier, clause Y---> In this Case the modifier will modify clause Y
ii) clause X, modifier, "and" clause Y----> In this case the modifier will modify clause X.

Hope that helps.
Siddhartha
Director
Director
Send PM
For #3)
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses. In this example, "on hearing" cannot modify "Galileo did not invent the telescope" but can modify "in 1609, that bla bla" This one is correct.

Even though, Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.
In this, there is an ambiguity. What is the modifier "on hearing" referring to???? This one is incorrect.
Director
Director
Send PM
For #4)

I really can't come up with an example, but I remember my post. You can refer it to clear your doubt.
when-you-should-eliminate-being-the-answer-is-here-141086.html
Director
Director
Send PM
For #5)
I can give you numerous examples here, because this is the topic I gave most of time.

i)Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

ii) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
For #5)
I can give you numerous examples here, because this is the topic I gave most of time.

i)Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

ii) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

@Marcab

I'm not able to get one thing... :evil:

i ) Sound can travel through water for enormous distances modifies "its" possessive pronoun which in-turn refers to "sound"?
ii) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal modifies "which" relative pronoun refers back to "Siberia's Lake Baikal " ?

My queries :
1) Actually here modifiers are Independent clause right? modifiers express only partial idea right?
2) Here these pronouns refer back to modifiers right?

I know i'm missing something in this... but i couldn't figure it out....

messed up with these sentence :? sorry
Director
Director
Send PM
shanmugamgsn wrote:
Marcab wrote:
For #5)

@Marcab

I'm not able to get one thing... :evil:

i ) Sound can travel through water for enormous distances modifies "its" possessive pronoun which in-turn refers to "sound"? YES
ii) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal modifies "which" relative pronoun refers back to "Siberia's Lake Baikal " ? YES

My queries :
1) Actually here modifiers are Independent clause right? modifiers express only partial idea right?
2) Here these pronouns refer back to modifiers right?

I know i'm missing something in this... but i couldn't figure it out....

messed up with these sentence :? sorry

Hii Shan.
Query #1-) Independent clauses can co-exist with the help of conjunction words. If there is no conjunction word, they entire sentence is flawed.
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.. The green shaded is the NOT the independent clause.

Consider the sentence: Mahatma Gandhi is regarded as the Father of Nation, he was shot dead.
Here the two clauses are independent and since there is no conjunction word, so these two clauses can't be put together.

Same for the second sentence.

These are Absolute Phrases and these refer back to the ENTIRE IDEA, not just the Subject of the main clause.
For these phrases, I developed a technique to identify whether its an Absolute phrase or not.
Consider the example:
"Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.".
Break the sentence into two parts.
i) Sound can travel through water for enormous distances,
ii) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.".

After the first part is over, RAISE A QUESTION \(HOW?\) If the just next clause answers your question, then the just next clause is the Absolute Phrase.
try this technique in the two sentences, which I gave in #5.
If you find difficulty in understanding it, let me know. I will try my best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Marcab wrote:

Thanks Marcab.
Really hand tool... :)

But I'm afraid still i didnt get the point...

I'm got first sentence
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances HOW? (by its acoustic energy preventing from dissipating blah blah....)
its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.
Here this HOW explains action of sound (preventing)

For second sentence i couldn't make it up
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, HOW??
Here this how doesn't explain an action of Siberia Lake Baikal

Also can a Independent clause act as modifier?
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

Red is Independent Clause modifies Green Subordinate clause.
(i was thinking in reverse)

I know this
Types of Modifier :
Words, Phrase, Clauses

But i thot modifier clauses are dependent clauses only....
Director
Director
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
One aspect that I would like add to this tposic is that, this topic is essentially a test of structural parallelism, which has been sidelined in the discussions. The text wants to present three factors of a specification in indirect interrogative manner with three interrogatives such as how, whether and what. Obviously when they are part of a list parallelism, the last one has to be coordinated with a fanboy such as ‘and’. Thus you will find the use of the additive phrase ‘as well as breaks the //ism and leads to the implication that the first is just an addendum of the con d and essentially only two factors remain. Due to this altered intent A and B are out. C also misses the //ism by missing the what. In D, the third factor is modifier than a factor. E, finally, reflects the true intention and is the chocie.

Of course, all roads lead to Rome and this is yet another route apart from the others mentioned in the discussion.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
monsama wrote:
The bylaws of a corporation specify how the directors of the corporation are to be elected, whether the existing stockholders will have first right to buy any new stock issued by the firm, as well as duties of management committees.

(A) as well as duties of management committees

(B) as well as the duties that the management committees have

(C) and that the management committees have duties

(D) outlining the duties of management committees

(E) and what the duties of management committees will be

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The bylaws have three stipulations in this sentence, and whenever you see a list, you know to look out for flaws in parallelism. Think of the original sentence this way:
"The bylaws of a corporation specify:
1. how the directors...are to be elected
2. whether the existing stockholders...firm and/as well as
3. duties of management committees."
Each piece of the list needs to follow grammatically from the first part of the sentence, and each needs to have the same structure as the others. Item 3 is clearly not like the others, so eliminate (A), and go ahead and take out (В), (C), and (D) for breaking the parallel as well.

(E) is a bit clumsy, but it's the only grammatically correct option.

An 800 test taker thinks of parallelism whenever she sees lists or word pairs like between...and and fewer...than.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This question can be answered using the concept of parallel construction:

The sentence here talks about a certain bylaw (the subject) and what all does it cover. Now 1st 2 features that this bylaw covers in a question like phrase while the 3rd feature is a direct simple phrase. Now, if we look for a similar question like 3rd phrase, we will be left with only option E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Hello,

I understand that we can find E) using parallelism.

However I do not understand when "as well" is wrong in this context ?

Can we use "as well" in a list as we would use "and" ?

Thank you so much

monsama wrote:

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Naptiste wrote:
Hello,

I understand that we can find E) using parallelism.

However I do not understand when "as well" is wrong in this context ?

Can we use "as well" in a list as we would use "and" ?

Thank you so much

monsama wrote:

Hello Naptiste,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Yes, when listing elements "as well as" can play the same role as "and", except in the phrase "both A and B"; the construction "both A as well as B" is redundant and unidiomatic.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts