Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [144]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V16
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618594 [88]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [15]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013
Send PM
Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If there are 9 co [#permalink]
From what I understand in the question is that there are 3 teams (triplets) of 3 people each competing together , so how is it possible that only 2 triplets/ teams win medals as there would be a definite 1,2,3 position in case of 3 teams. ?? ---. because the word triathlon implies to me that the teams win not the individuals (teams with cumulative individual lowest score times win) ....

Now if we consider this otherwise that individuals win then :

The probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets + 1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal...

P(at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets)=3P2 * 3/9 * 2/8 * 6/7 = 3/7

P(1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal)= 3P3 * 3/9 * 3/8 * 3/7 = 9/28

3/7 + 9/28 = 3/4 ---- (E)

Pl. help me know where I am going wrong.
Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618594 [0]
Send PM
Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If there are 9 co [#permalink]
Expert Reply
himanshuhpr wrote:
From what I understand in the question is that there are 3 teams (triplets) of 3 people each competing together , so how is it possible that only 2 triplets/ teams win medals as there would be a definite 1,2,3 position in case of 3 teams. ?? ---. because the word triathlon implies to me that the teams win not the individuals (teams with cumulative individual lowest score times win) ....

Now if we consider this otherwise that individuals win then :

The probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets + 1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal...

P(at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets)=3P2 * 3/9 * 2/8 * 6/7 = 3/7

P(1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal)= 3P3 * 3/9 * 3/8 * 3/7 = 9/28

3/7 + 9/28 = 3/4 ---- (E)

Pl. help me know where I am going wrong.
Thanks.

Your understanding of the question is not correct. Adam, Bruce, and Charlie are not in one team, they compete between each other and 6 other competitors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
It's been quite some time since this was posted, but I have a quick question about how to solve this problem using fractional probability instead of combinatorics. I tried to solve the problem using the following:

\(P(\geq{\text{2 Triplets}})=P(\text{2 Triplets})+P(\text{3 Triplets})\)

\(P(\geq{ \text{2 Triplets}})=(\frac{3}{9} \times \frac{2}{8} \times \frac{6}{7})+(\frac{3}{9} \times \frac{2}{8} \times \frac{1}{7})\)

\(P(\geq{ \text{2 Triplets}})=\frac{6}{84}+\frac{1}{84}=\frac{7}{84}\)

I realize that in order to get to the original answer, I would have had to multiply the initial \(\frac{6}{84}\) by 3, and proceed to calculate \(\frac{19}{84}\), but I do not understand why this is the case, since the order of the triplets should not matter.

In another problem from MGMAT's CAT test, I was able to solve for the desired probability using fractional probabilities only:

"Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2 suits of 6 cards each. Each of the 6 cards within a suit has a different value from 1 to 6; thus, for each value from 1 to 6, there are two cards in the deck with that value. Bill likes to play a game in which he shuffles the deck, turns over 4 cards, and looks for pairs of cards that have the same value. What is the chance that Bill finds at least one pair of cards that have the same value?"

\(P(\geq \text{1 pair})=1- \text{ P}( \text{No Pairs})\)

\(P(\geq \text{1 pair})=1-(\frac{12}{12} \times \frac{10}{11} \times \frac{8}{10} \times \frac{6}{9})=1-\frac{16}{33}=\frac{17}{33}\)

Of course, this problem could have also been solved using combinatorics, but I feel the fractional approach would probably be quicker in a live scenario. However, over the course of my review, I've found the fractional method to be unreliable, whereas combinatorics are typically universally applicable (though they can take significantly longer in some instances).

I am curious as to why the solution for the second problem involving the playing cards worked whereas my solution to the original triplet question did not. I am not really sure why I have to multiply that initial \(\frac{6}{84}\) by 3 to get the right answer, and I would like to have a concrete understanding of this issue to help me solve similar problems.

Originally posted by wfa207 on 07 May 2013, 20:17.
Last edited by wfa207 on 08 May 2013, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey wfa,

You're right about order not mattering but your math suggests you're missing a fundamental counting concept.

P(2 triplets) is not simply equal to 3/9*2/8*6/7 as this would suggest a sequence where order matters. Rather, the math is (number of successful outcomes)/(total number of outcomes)

Total # of ways you could pick 2 of the triplets among the medallists is C(2,3), AND total # ways you could pick 1 non-triplet among the medallists is C(1,6), that's 3*6= 18

Total # outcomes is the # of ways you could pick ANYONE to be medallists, so C(6,9) = 84

P(2 triplets) = 18/84

I know u we're off by a factor of 3, and you think it's an order vs no-order issue, but really, you were attempting sequential counting, but should have been using combinatorials

Hope this clarifies things
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Are Adam, Bruce and Charlie in the same triathlon team or are they in separate teams?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618594 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatter0913 wrote:
Are Adam, Bruce and Charlie in the same triathlon team or are they in separate teams?

No, they are competing each other, they do not form a team.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
vikasp99 wrote:
Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. There are nine competitors in the triathlon. If every competitor has an equal chance of winning, and three medals will be awarded, what is the probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal?

(A) 3/14

(B) 19/84

(C) 11/42

(D) 15/28

(E) 3/4

Hi,

Note :- all medals are equal that is not different for 1,2 and 3 POSITION

Two cases
1) only two get medals..
Choose 2 out of three A,B, and C---3C2=3..
The third can be any of the remaining 6..
So total ways=3*6=18..
2) all three get medals..
Only 1 way..

Total ways ATLEAST 2 get medals= 18+1=19..

TOTAL ways=9C3=\(\frac{9!}{6!3!}=84\)..

Probability=\(\frac{19}{84}\)
B
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1352 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Expert Reply
cnon wrote:
Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If there are 9 competitors in the triathlon, and medals are awarded for first, second, and third place, what is the probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal?

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

\(\left\{ \matrix{\\
\,A\,,B\,,\,{\kern 1pt} C\,\,\,\,\, \to \,\,\,3\,\,{\rm{competitors}} \hfill \cr \\
\,{\rm{D,}}\,\, \ldots \,\,{\rm{,}}\,I\,\,\, \to \,\,\,{\rm{other}}\,\,6\,\,{\rm{competitors}}\, \hfill \cr} \right.\)

\(\left( {\rm{i}} \right)\,\,A,B,C\,\,{\rm{win}}\,\,{\rm{the}}\,\,3\,\,{\rm{medals}}\)

\(\left( {{\rm{ii}}} \right)\,\,A,B,C\,\,{\rm{win}}\,\,{\rm{exactly}}\,\,2\,\,{\rm{of}}\,\,{\rm{the}}\,\,3\,\,{\rm{medals}}\)

\(? = P\left( {{\rm{i}}\,\,{\rm{or}}\,\,{\rm{ii}}} \right) = P\left( {\rm{i}} \right) + P\left( {{\rm{ii}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {\,{\rm{i}}\,\,{\rm{and}}\,\,{\rm{ii}}\,\,{\rm{are}}\,\,{\rm{mutually}}\,\,{\rm{exclusive}}\,} \right]\)

\(\left( {\rm{i}} \right)\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{\\
\,{\rm{favorable}} = \,\,3! \hfill \cr \\
\,{\rm{total}}\,\, = \,\,9 \cdot 8 \cdot 7\,\,{\rm{equiprobables}}\,\,\, \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,P\left( {\rm{i}} \right) = {1 \over {84}}\)

\(\left( {{\rm{ii}}} \right)\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{\\
\,{\rm{favorable}} = \,\,\underbrace {C\left( {3,2} \right)}_{{\rm{say}}\,\,A,B}\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\underbrace {C\left( {3,2} \right)}_{{\rm{say}}\,\,\,1{\rm{st}}\,\,,\,\,2{\rm{nd}}}\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\underbrace {2!}_{{\rm{say}}\,\,\,A\,\,1{\rm{st}}\,\,,\,B\,\,2{\rm{nd}}}\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\,\underbrace {C\left( {6,1} \right)}_{{\rm{say}}\,\,D\,\,\left( {3{\rm{rd}}} \right)}\, \hfill \cr \\
\,{\rm{total}}\,\, = \,\,9 \cdot 8 \cdot 7\,\,{\rm{equiprobables}}\,\,\, \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,P\left( {{\rm{ii}}} \right) = {3 \over {14}}\)

\(? = {1 \over {84}} + {{3 \cdot 6} \over {14 \cdot 6}} = {{19} \over {84}}\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
cnon wrote:
Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If there are 9 competitors in the triathlon, and medals are awarded for first, second, and third place, what is the probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal?

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

The total number of ways to select 3 people from 9 is 9C3 = (9 x 8 x 7)/(3 x 2) = 3 x 4 x 7 = 84.

The number of ways 2 of the triplets are among the 3 awarded is 3C2 x 6C1 = 3 x 6 = 18.

The number of ways all 3 triplets are the 3 awarded is 3C3 x 6C0 = 1 x 1 = 1.

Therefore, the probability is (18 + 1)/84 = 19/84.

Answer: B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
cnon wrote:

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

Manhattan Advanced Gmat Quant Work out set1 4th question

Hi Bunuel isn't the probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal equal to none of the triplets win the medal? But the answer coming through ths way isnt correct.. 1- 5/21 = 16/21
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618594 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
cnon wrote:

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

Hi Bunuel isn't the probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal equal to none of the triplets win the medal? But the answer coming through ths way isnt correct.. 1- 5/21 = 16/21

At least two of the triplets will win a medal, means that only two or all three of the triplets win a medal. The opposite event would be that only one or none of the triplets win a medal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29894 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
cnon wrote:

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

Since the other solutions in this thread use counting techniques, let's use probability rules to solve the question

P(at least two triplets win a metal) = P(exactly two triplets win a middle OR exactly three triplets win a medal)
= P(exactly two win a middle) + P(exactly three win a medal)

Let's examine each probability separately....

P(exactly two triplets win a middle)
There are three ways for this to happen:
case i) a triplet places 1st, another triplet places 2nd, a non-triplet places 3rd
case ii) a triplet places 1st, a non-triplet places 2nd, a triplet places 3rd
case iii) a non-triplet places 1st, a triplet places 2nd, a non-triplet places 3rd

P(case i) = (3/9)(2/8)(6/7) = 1/14
P(case ii) = (3/9)(6/8)(2/7) = 1/14
P(case iii) = (6/9)(3/8)(2/7) = 1/14
P(exactly two triplets win a middle) = 1/14 + 1/14 + 1/14 = 3/14

P(exactly three triplets win a middle)
P(exactly three triplets win a middle) = P(a triplet places 1st, another triplet places 2nd, another triplet places 3rd)
= (3/9)(2/8)(1/7) = 1/84

We get:
P(at least two triplets win a metal) = P(exactly two win a middle) + P(exactly three win a medal)
= 3/14 + 1/84
= 18/84 + 1/84
= 19/84

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos