Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Although an insecticide may initially prove effective in reducing mala [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatbull wrote:
Although an insecticide may initially prove effective in reducing malaria-causing mosquito populations, the surviving mosquitoes, genetically endowed to withstand the insecticide, thrive on the reduced competition from other mosquitoes and pass on their genetically based resistance to their offspring. Mosquito populations then become less and less susceptible to the insecticides. Because the presence of older mosquitoes—those ten or more days old—is essential to maintaining the life cycle of the malaria parasite, researchers have proposed addressing the problem of pesticide resistance by searching for a means of targeting only older mosquitoes for elimination.

Which of the following, if true, would most help support the researchers’ proposal?

A. Younger mosquitoes are also essential to the life cycle of the malaria parasite.
B. The older mosquitoes have completed their breeding activity.
C. The proposed approach to controlling mosquito populations is likely to require more frequent applications of pesticides.
D. Malaria is only transmitted to humans by mosquito bites.
E. The older mosquitoes are not as susceptible to insecticides as younger mosquitoes.

Quote:
Hi Mike, I am not able to understand how come option B strengthens the argument. As per me option E strengthens the argument. Can you kindly explain where am i making a mistake, if any. Waiting eagerly for your valuable inputs. Regards, Fame

Fame,
I would say you are confused because this is a poorly written question. In a good GMAT CR question, it may be confusing when thinking it through, but when the OA & OE are revealed, everyone has an "aha!" and feels that it makes sense.

I tend to agree with VeritasPrepKarishma's excellent analysis above. In her view, the scientists want to kill mosquitoes but leave the inter-mosquito competition intact. If they kill the older mosquitoes, this will have the advantage of killing mosquitoes that are "essential to maintaining the life cycle of the malaria parasite" without reducing genetic competition in the mosquito population. Among other things, the question expect the non-scientist reader to know that, by the "malaria parasite", they mean the protist that cause malaria, i.e. that malaria is carried by a parasite that lives in the mosquito. I think the question demands a bit too much outside knowledge of science --- I don't think the GMAT would automatically expect the reader to know the details of how genetic competition plays out or the details of how malaria is carried or transmitted. I think it's very very easy to write a hard CR question if it involves specialized knowledge of some scientific field, knowledge that maybe folks learned at one time in high school but is not uppermost in their minds. I think it's much harder to write a CR question that treats everyday topics that are well-known to everyone, that is puzzling to many readers on first reading, but that makes complete sense to everyone once the OE is given. The GMAT does this consistently with its CR question. This particular question falls well short of that standard.

That's my 2¢

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Although an insecticide may initially prove effective in reducing mala [#permalink]
Although I picked 'E', I am not fully convinced with any of the answer options. Can an expert please explain ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
This an old thread, but I want to add something on this question. I was confused between options B & E, and ended up picking option E.
Surprise! OA is B (as is always the case with me when I am confused between two options).

After some analysis, I realized that when I was actually solving the question, it did not occur to me that the scientists wanted to target the older mosquitoes using pesticides only! I thought scientists may target the older ones thru some other means, a crucial misunderstanding that actually makes option E seem better than B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
Although an insecticide may initially prove effective in reducing mala [#permalink]
Imo in order to accept B as the answer, the focus should be on the sentence ‘ researchers have proposed addressing the problem of pesticide resistance by searching for a means of targeting only older mosquitoes for elimination. ‘

We are looking to address the pesticide resistance issue not getting rid of malaria nor all mosquitos, thus if we choose B. The older mosquitoes have completed their breeding activity. , we solve the pesticide resistance issue by eliminating only the older mosquitos.

Let me know whats up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
shouldnt it be E? I dont even understand hw B affects the case.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
insead22 wrote:
shouldnt it be E? I dont even understand hw B affects the case.

First we must make sure we understand the author's reasoning: insecticide kills some mosquitos, but those that survive pass on their resistance to their offspring, making mosquitos harder to kill with insecticide.

Now, since Malaria needs 'older' mosquitos, some people say, "well, find a way to kill those things, to help avoid this 'resistance problem.'

But... What if those older mosquitos still produce offspring? Whatever method we use to eliminate them, insecticide or otherwise, if some survive and then have offspring, and pass on that resistance to their offspring... we have the same problem. Mosquitos who are resistant to our means of killing them. Malaria can run wild.

But if the older mosquitos haven't had offspring, then who cares if some survive our new tactics of targeting older mosquitos. They won't pass that resistance onto any offspring, so this plan will better solve our problem.

E doesn't strengthen the argument. E is a wrong answer choice I think of as 'raising the stakes,' but not strengthening the argument. If older mosquitos are more resistant to insecticide than younger mosquitos... How does that strengthen the idea that we should use the researchers proposal that we *should target older mosquitos?* How does the fact that the older mosquitos are harder to kill mean we should target them?

But here's the temptation: "Malaria shows up in older mosquitos" (oh dang, well those are the ones we need to target!) "And they're harder to kill with insecticide than younger mosquitos!" (OH NO! Well then we REALLY better kill'em!)

The second doesn't *really* strengthen the first though. It just makes the first seem like a 'bigger deal.'
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts