Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS (A)
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hi,

No need to apologize at all.

You've got great college performance, good international exposure, and solid GMAT score. The challenge would be for you to differentiate yourself from other applicants by demonstrating leadership capabilities and impact on your organization, and clarity of your goals and motivation for getting an MBA.

Your list of schools seem reasonable. Just make sure to research and understand each school's culture, and apply to places that provide environments you thrive in.

I'm sincere in my offer to have a discussion if you are interested so that I can provide more meaningful feedback for you.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

Vips0000 wrote:
MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

I realized that people seem to like asking questions regarding their chances of getting into various business schools. And though I appreciate the information provided so far, proper school selection require much more in-depth discussion regarding your leadership experience, your strengths, what you are passionate about, etc.

School selection is part of the service we offer. If you are interested in finding out how we can help improve your candidacy, please feel free to reach out for a complimentary consultation.

Thank you.

Christine Lin

If you like this post, give it KUDOS!

Hi Christine,

Thank you for taking out time to respond. My only idea was to get some initial feedbacks from an expert to assess my profile to start with. Considering that you and other experts had provided similar advice to many others, I too requested for an intial assessment cum advice. Its not that I like asking question regarding my chances of getting into any college, just that wanted a direction.

Apology if you felt it was inappropriate.

Thanks,
Vips
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Thanks marrveladmissions for the reply.....actually ross and tuck are fabulous schools to consider as well given their strength in operations management....i ,'ll surely be considering them .....also i am planning to apply in r1 next year so that i have substantial work experience-2yrs in my new profile ( family business) when i join a bschool.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (S)
Send PM
Hello,

I am a European applicant and trying to see whether I would be competitive for the top MBA schools, especially a finance/entrepreneurship school.
I was thinking about MIT.

Since I don't really know much about MBA world in USA, I would really appreciate any help you may have. Could you evaluate the below and share your thoughts on competitiveness and schools to target please?

Thanks!
Coma
--
Below is my profile:

UG: Engineering, top school in country. GPA 2.5 - no special reason for low GPA
Grad: MS in Finance: top school in Europe. GPA 3.7
GMAT: 750, Q:51

WE1: Management / Entrepreneurship (engineering related) : 3 years
WE2: Financial Services / Strategy (well known global company) : 2 years

Work experience covers 5 countries (spent at least 6 months) so far
During my WE2 some of the global projects at which I participated at the design phase became highly successful and recommendations (from senior people in organization) revolve around this
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My target schools are Columbia, Harvard, NYU Stern, Stanford and Wharton.

Education
- GPA: 3.70 at Stony Brook University (SUNY) BS in Business Management – Just graduated in August.
GMAT: 650
White
Experience: 11 years
- 8 years as an enlisted US nuclear trained submariner. Responsibilities included calculating, sampling and maintaining reactor chemistry, overseeing all radiological activities (maintenance, casualty actions in case of reactor accident etc…) and operating the reactor in all modes.
- 1 year at Sandia National Laboratory as a Health Physics Technician integrating radiological controls into all aspects of their experimentation
- 1.5 years at Brookhaven National Laboratory doing the same as at Sandia.
- .5 years at as a Quality Engineer - Just promoted.
Extracurricular Activities:
- None - When separated from navy, attended school full time and work full time. No time for anything else.

I know my GMAT is not as high as it could be which may be a problem, especially for the schools I am choosing, but I believe I can offset this in my applications by drawing attention to the technical nature of my past and current job, my GPA in Nuclear Power School as well as my A+ in calculus.

Another important point in regards to my GMAT is that I attended my undergrad full time while simultaneously working full time. I believe I can capitalize on this fact and show that while simultaneously pursuing both, I obtained excellent grades and have been promoted at work. I think this will show that when I stop working and attend school full time, I will perform exceptionally well. Please let me know if this logic will hold up in an application and if I should talk to it.

Please let me know your thoughts and I thank you in advance for any evaluation you provide.

Originally posted by iamsovereign on 26 Nov 2012, 15:58.
Last edited by iamsovereign on 16 Dec 2012, 20:48, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Olurmuki,

Are you only considering MBA programs in the U.S.?

Your high GMATscore and MS GPA should help offset the undergrad GPA. Whatever caused the low undergrad GPA, you may have to convince the schools those factors no longer exist.

Kudos on the global projects. If you can show that you have strong leadership capabilities and made significant positive impact on your oganization, you should be competitive for MIT.

You didn't mention future career goals. Make sure you clearly articulate what you would like to do & why, and how the MBA at the schools you're applying to can help you get there, and how you plan to contribute to the business school and your community.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

olurmuki wrote:
Hello,

I am a European applicant and trying to see whether I would be competitive for the top MBA schools, especially a finance/entrepreneurship school.
I was thinking about MIT.

Since I don't really know much about MBA world in USA, I would really appreciate any help you may have. Could you evaluate the below and share your thoughts on competitiveness and schools to target please?

Thanks!
Coma
--
Below is my profile:

UG: Engineering, top school in country. GPA 2.5 - no special reason for low GPA
Grad: MS in Finance: top school in Europe. GPA 3.7
GMAT: 750, Q:51

WE1: Management / Entrepreneurship (engineering related) : 3 years
WE2: Financial Services / Strategy (well known global company) : 2 years

Work experience covers 5 countries (spent at least 6 months) so far
During my WE2 some of the global projects at which I participated at the design phase became highly successful and recommendations (from senior people in organization) revolve around this
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

What are your career goals post MBA?

Seems like you have great work ethics and discipline. If you really want to reach for these top schools, I would suggest retaking the GMAT.

If not, assuming you have examples of leadership capabilities, there are still many great MBA programs for you to consider.

Happy to discuss further if you are interested. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!
Christine Lin

iamsovereign wrote:
My target schools are Columbia, Harvard, NYU Stern, Stanford and Wharton.

Education
- GPA: 3.70 at Stony Brook University (SUNY) BS in Business Management – Just graduated in August.
- GPA: 3.84 Navy Nuclear Power School. Non degree but very technical and well known for its rigor.
GMAT: 650
White
Experience: 11 years
- 8 years as an enlisted US nuclear trained submariner. Responsibilities included calculating, sampling and maintaining reactor chemistry, overseeing all radiological activities (maintenance, casualty actions in case of reactor accident etc…) and operating the reactor in all modes.
- 1 year at Sandia National Laboratory as a Health Physics Technician integrating radiological controls into all aspects of their experimentation
- 1.5 years at Brookhaven National Laboratory doing the same as at Sandia.
- .5 years at Brookhaven National Laboratory as a Quality Engineer for Radiological Control Division
o Just promoted.
Extracurricular Activities:
- None - When separated from navy, attended school full time and work full time. No time for anything else.
Essays: I have recently received essays from a fellow veteran at one of the top schools. He did exactly what I did in the navy and I intend on using it as a template for my own essays while differentiating myself based on my upbringing
- Grew up in a very poor neighborhood in Dallas Texas
- Only person in immediate family or extended family to graduate college

I know my GMAT is not as high as it could be which may be a problem, especially for the schools I am choosing, but I believe I can offset this in my applications by drawing attention to the technical nature of my past and current job, my GPA in Nuclear Power School as well as my A+ in calculus.

Another important point in regards to my GMAT is that I attended my undergrad full time while simultaneously working full time. I believe I can capitalize on this fact and show that while simultaneously pursuing both, I obtained excellent grades and have been promoted at work. I think this will show that when I stop working and attend school full time, I will perform exceptionally well. Please let me know if this logic will hold up in an application and if I should talk to it.

Please let me know your thoughts and I thank you in advance for any evaluation you provide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (S)
Send PM
Hi Christine,

Thanks for your reply.
Reason for low grades was that I was interested in more ECs those times. With my grad degree, no more the case.

My goal is to do buy side/advisory finance then/or entrepreneurship.
This is interesting though, for instance MIT doesn't really ask about what one wants to do after MBA or why one would like to do an MBA at all.

Schools: Not strictly US. Any advice welcome. However at this point, I believe MBA will benefit me only if it is one of the very top schools.

Thanks again,
Coma
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your replies, Pbodine and MarvelAdmission, and I appreciate your perspectives. You have reaffirmed my own thought process in that my GMAT will be a negative. I did leave enough time to retake the GMAT before the application deadlines, however, after much deliberation, I believe my ROI will be greater if I use the remaining time to fully concentrating on other aspects of my application than if I spread myself between the GMAT and the essays/recommendations. In the event that I am not accepted this year, I will retake the GMAT and reapply next year.

With the right level of rigor and perseverance, I think I can pull it off. Again, I greatly appreciate your input and I look forward to any future correspondence!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
Send PM
Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hello,

I'd appreciate some advice/insight into my situation for applying to business school... I think it's a pretty unique and abnormal situation. I would be applying for a Fall 2014 start semester.

Here's my profile:

Undergrad: Civil & Environmental Engineering with 3.1 GPA
Haven't taken GMAT yet
7+ years commitment to church leadership and outreach
Avid guitar player/musician, snowboarder, and basketball player

Work Experience: 2 and a half years, both with Fortune 500 companies. Worked in operations/supply chain management in a Global Leadership program, now doing Product Management at Fortune 100 company

After graduating, I was going for a master's in Operations Design and Management at my school, when my adviser recommended me to go for the MBA instead, as it was a more valuable degree with only a handful of additional classes. I was a full time MBA student (with 0 full-time work experience) for about a year and a half when I was hired into a global leadership development program. I've since then moved into my ideal position and industry with my current employer. I am about 75% done with my MBA which, relative to other programs, is lower cost because I took advantage of graduate tuition promotions.

I'm happy with my current role and the potential growth opportunities, but I feel that my growth could be capped based on the fact that I don't have a top tier MBA. I'd like to get into consulting or corporate strategy, which will likely require a higher ranked MBA.

Is it worth abandoning my current MBA to pursue a higher ranked MBA given my situation (currently in MBA program @ 75% completion and high student debt)? With my current resume, would I be able to get in the above schools assuming I get a GMAT score around 670-700 or higher? Are there other low cost ranked schools you can recommend that I would be a good candidate for?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Originally posted by stp015 on 27 Nov 2012, 09:48.
Last edited by stp015 on 10 Oct 2016, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Stshine,

You do have a pretty unique situation. I'm curious to find out where you are getting your MBA.

Your work experience so far sounds great. There may be a way for you to transition into consulting without getting another MBA at this point, given all the student loans you have.

I would be happy to review your resume and discuss with you further to figure out how you may be able to leverage what you've done, and transition into consulting or corporate strategy. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Best,

Christine Lin

stshine wrote:
Hello,

I'd appreciate some advice/insight into my situation for applying to business school... I think it's a pretty unique and abnormal situation. I would be applying for a Fall 2014 start semester.

Here's my profile:

Haven't taken GMAT yet

Work Experience: 2 and a half years, both with Fortune 500 companies. Worked in operations/supply chain management in a Global Leadership program, now doing Product Management at Fortune 100 company

After graduating, I was going for a master's in Operations Design and Management at my school, when my adviser recommended me to go for the MBA instead, as it was a more valuable degree with only a handful of additional classes. I was a full time MBA student (with 0 full-time work experience) for about a year and a half when I was hired into a global leadership development program. I've since then moved into my ideal position and industry with my current employer. I am about 75% done with my MBA which, relative to other programs, is lower cost because I took advantage of graduate tuition promotions.

I'm happy with my current role and the potential growth opportunities, but I feel that my growth could be capped based on the fact that I don't have a top tier MBA. I'd like to get into consulting or corporate strategy, which will likely require a higher ranked MBA.

I've accumulated about $150K in loans from undergrad and the current MBA program that I'm in. Thus, I am only looking into low-cost MBA program, such as:

Kelley at Indiana University, ranked #23. Has a great online/part-time program that costs only $50k total
Marriott school at BYU, ranked #32. Costs ~$20K total, but it is a full-time program
Tepper at Carnegie Mellon, ranked #19. They will be starting a new online/part-time program next year, I believe it will cost around $60k total

Is it worth abandoning my current MBA to pursue a higher ranked MBA given my situation (currently in MBA program @ 75% completion and high student debt)? With my current resume, would I be able to get in the above schools assuming I get a GMAT score around 670-700 or higher? Are there other low cost ranked schools you can recommend that I would be a good candidate for?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
Send PM
Thanks for the prompt response!

I'm currently getting my MBA from WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). They are not ranked, but are "#1 part time MBA in Northeast," and was #1 in the nation a few years ago (by businessweek). My fear is that as I'm applying to jobs a few years down the line, my resume will be ignored because I don't have a top tier MBA, specifically competing against other candidates in consulting and strategy. At the same time, there's also the fact that I am near completion to my current program.

How strong of a candidate do you think I would be to get into the programs I had mentioned above? I know I have a lower undergrad GPA, but there was a significant upward trend after my 2nd year. Would a GMAT score of 700 and strong references be enough to overcome that?

I'd certainly like to speak with you more. I'll set up an appointment through the link you sent me.

Thanks!

Steve
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I wonder if there are ways for you to get into consulting or corporate strategy w out abandoning your current MBA, and pursue a new MBA. I think we should have a discussion regarding the type of consulting work you would like to do. You can actually do supply chain management consulting or operations consulting. Or you can leverage your industry experience and transition into consulting w the industry focus.

I've worked in corporate strategy, and also in management consulting, so I'll be happy to discuss potential career options with you.

Please email me your resume, and we can set up a time to talk.

Thanks.

Christine Lin
clin@marveladmissions.com

In terms of corporate strategy, you may also want explore opportunities to move into that area within your current firm.

supply chain management, or operations consulting

stshine wrote:
Hello,

Here's my profile:

Haven't taken GMAT yet

I've accumulated about $150K in loans from undergrad and the current MBA program that I'm in. Thus, I am only looking into low-cost MBA program, such as:

Kelley at Indiana University, ranked #23. Has a great online/part-time program that costs only $50k total
Marriott school at BYU, ranked #32. Costs ~$20K total, but it is a full-time program
Tepper at Carnegie Mellon, ranked #19. They will be starting a new online/part-time program next year, I believe it will cost around $60k total

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Schulich '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I want to know what is the equivalent GPA for 59%. I did engineering in one of the indian instituites and I got aggregate of 59%. What is the equivalent GPA for this aggregate.

Thanks
Ravi
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I think with GMAT score of 700 and strong references, you should be competitive at the schools mentioned. But the bigger question is defining a clear vision for your career, and knowing why you want to do management consulting or corporate strategy, and that clarity would guide you to make decisions that move you closer to your vision.

Happy to discusss further.

Christine

stshine wrote:
Thanks for the prompt response!

I'm currently getting my MBA from WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). They are not ranked, but are "#1 part time MBA in Northeast," and was #1 in the nation a few years ago (by businessweek). My fear is that as I'm applying to jobs a few years down the line, my resume will be ignored because I don't have a top tier MBA, specifically competing against other candidates in consulting and strategy. At the same time, there's also the fact that I am near completion to my current program.

How strong of a candidate do you think I would be to get into the programs I had mentioned above? I know I have a lower undergrad GPA, but there was a significant upward trend after my 2nd year. Would a GMAT score of 700 and strong references be enough to overcome that?

I'd certainly like to speak with you more. I'll set up an appointment through the link you sent me.

Thanks!

Steve
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Ravi,

Unless the business schools specifically asked you to convert into 4 point scale GPA, just report your grade as is.

Christine Lin

ravikumarpaidapala wrote:
Hi Guys,

I want to know what is the equivalent GPA for 59%. I did engineering in one of the indian instituites and I got aggregate of 59%. What is the equivalent GPA for this aggregate.

Thanks
Ravi
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Dear Marvel Admissions,

Trust this post you well.

Need your help in evaluating my profile:

Indian, Male, Age 26, Engineering undergrad, Manufacturing sector and consulting work ex, among the top 10% in both university and professional peer group...

GMAT 610 (Q38, V36 ; 46 and 79 %ile respectively) .. I hate to say this, but this my 3rd attempt at the exam, and have been able to get only this.

Undergrad GPA - 8.1 on 10, ( that converts to 3.3 on 4 if I am right), have a PG Diploma in Intellectual Property Rights Law ..

Professional background:

3 years of work ex. as process engineer in automotive manufacturing.. excellent track record at company, in terms of leadership, project management, and responsibilities... handled 2 key product developments amounting to 10 million $ in budget allocations ...another key highlight includes being chosen for funded PG program among a pool of 100 engineers ( 3 were chosen) ..

Post automotive experience, shifted to business consulting, and involved as research analyst tracking the global commercial vehicle market, promotions YoY and recently given team leader role .. presently with the same firm ... key member of team building in the consulting firm, and responsible for establishing an overseas research team this year ... have completed that process and moved to other assignments now... been with the firm for 2 years and 4 months now ( total of 5 years+ work ex. )

Other key achievements:

. Demonstrated team building and leadership qualities --- undergrad placement representative, team lead role in the current profile..
. Profession working knowledge in German ( have completed 6 levels of professional german language from the local office of Max Mueller Bhavan, India)

Target: MIT SLOAN LGO, Tippie, Broad (SCM program), Krannert, Kenan Flager, Anderson .. I know I can't think of top 10 with the GMAT score.. but any advice there would be welcome..

All I want to know is how good are my chances at the listed schools, recommended schools for this background, and what can be ideally done (in brief) to combat the low GMAT... I will be having stellar recommendations and am concentrating on my essays already....

Please advice...

Thanks
apns
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Apns,

I'm basing my assessment mainly on your GMAT score. I find that in most cases, business schools will not be able to overlook a low GMAT score.

So MIT, UCLA, and UNC may be too much of a stretch for you. But the other schools you have listed may be within your reach.

Sounds like you have great work experience, and great academic background.

Your quant score is actually lower than your verbal. I found it easier to improve quant score with practice vs. verbal score, but it sounds like you're not considering retaking it anymore.

Proper school selection should include a discussion regarding your post MBA career goals, and long term career vision, as well as why you want to pursue these goals.

Happy to offer a complimentary consultation if you are interested in discussing further.

Christine Lin

apns wrote:
Dear Marvel Admissions,

Trust this post you well.

Need your help in evaluating my profile:

Indian, Male, Age 26, Engineering undergrad, Manufacturing sector and consulting work ex, among the top 10% in both university and professional peer group...

GMAT 610 (Q38, V36 ; 46 and 79 %ile respectively) .. I hate to say this, but this my 3rd attempt at the exam, and have been able to get only this.

Undergrad GPA - 8.1 on 10, ( that converts to 3.3 on 4 if I am right), have a PG Diploma in Intellectual Property Rights Law ..

Professional background:

3 years of work ex. as process engineer in automotive manufacturing.. excellent track record at company, in terms of leadership, project management, and responsibilities... handled 2 key product developments amounting to 10 million $ in budget allocations ...another key highlight includes being chosen for funded PG program among a pool of 100 engineers ( 3 were chosen) ..

Post automotive experience, shifted to business consulting, and involved as research analyst tracking the global commercial vehicle market, promotions YoY and recently given team leader role .. presently with the same firm ... key member of team building in the consulting firm, and responsible for establishing an overseas research team this year ... have completed that process and moved to other assignments now... been with the firm for 2 years and 4 months now ( total of 5 years+ work ex. )

Other key achievements:

. Demonstrated team building and leadership qualities --- undergrad placement representative, team lead role in the current profile..
. Profession working knowledge in German ( have completed 6 levels of professional german language from the local office of Max Mueller Bhavan, India)

Target: MIT SLOAN LGO, Tippie, Broad (SCM program), Krannert, Kenan Flager, Anderson .. I know I can't think of top 10 with the GMAT score.. but any advice there would be welcome..

All I want to know is how good are my chances at the listed schools, recommended schools for this background, and what can be ideally done (in brief) to combat the low GMAT... I will be having stellar recommendations and am concentrating on my essays already....

Please advice...

Thanks
apns
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15