Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [59]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Extracurricular Activities - What You Can Do [#permalink]
I wanted to add to this.
I started the process of doing extra curricular activities in January, and as time passed by I was given additional responsibilities naturally (including being invited to a volunteer advisory board).
What I learned is the following.
1. Start adding extras ASAP, however they won't look impressive until at least a few months in once you put in hard work.
2. Go outside the box, if you have a skill set approach the organization with that skill set, they might have something unique you can do.
3. There are more leadership opportunities at smaller organizations, also I have noticed that they are more unique, and people are more interested in them.
4. Finally another reason to start early, you simply have more time. I was able to invest a lot of time into my ECs early on, but as the app season started I had less and less time to invest.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

Just stumbled upon this site: https://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/

It offers options for 1-12 Volunteer trips around the world for a number of causes, so if you have something you believe pretty strongly and want to demonstrate that to the adcom while having a great time, seems like a great opportunity.... and none of these are in Siberea. Actually quite impressive design and almost too good looking for a volunteer org; it is pricey it seems. About $3K for 2 weeks and $6K for 8 weeks excluding flights.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
i am a national level muay thai athlete. will that help strengthening my application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Am a decent guitar player..Can stuff like posting videos of covers on my youtube channel add to my extra curricular?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The point is not whether you have a stunning extra curricular.

It's more like how has that been a meaningful experience: or even better how has it shaped your personality/mindset.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Three career-building, volunteer-driven organizations worth examining:

1) SCORE
2) Taproot Foundation
3) USA Leadership Corps

These organizations recruit, train, and match emerging professionals with small businesses and nonprofits in need of business planning or strategy assistance.

Best of luck,

Maxwell Roper

Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Extracurricular Activities - What You Can Do [#permalink]
Hi Souvik,

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to apply to colleges/universities soon and I am extremely confused. Can you tell me if the following instances are relevant while mentioning extra-curricular activities?

1. Consistently involved in drawing, singing and other cultural activities almost all through school (I have awards and certificates for the performances but I don't have a document to prove I was the House Captain in charge of these activities for a year. And people say school is not relevant.)
2. Had two blogs active from 2008 to 2014 (college to office years) though towards the end I wasn't consistent. Put up my sketches there, as well as on Facebook. Also I have stories and poems apart from random posts. (Should I delete the extremely rambling ones?)
3. Designed posters for blood donation camp in second/third year of college where around 200 people attended. (Didn't donate as I'm almost anemic.) I don't have a proof as such but I do have pictures uploaded by my friend on Facebook.
4. Helped out one of the organizers of Rainbow Pride Parade in our city in 2012 with translation of documents which she later used for posters. I have the messages regarding the same. Had she asked for it again I would have helped more but that never happened. So, this became more of a one time thing, sadly.
5. Learned Spanish just because I wanted to for a few months in 2012. I have the certificate for it. Then joined a language website "Livemocha" for practicing and helped out other people with English and/or Hindi practice.
6. Used to donate to Greenpeace shortly after I joined office but then stopped because all sorts of controversial news started pouring in about them. Also donated to relief funds for Nepal earthquake. Recently donated to an NGO dealing with girl child education. But I don't think this counts. Everyone donates, and this sounds mostly childish.

I have very limited extra curricular stuff as I used to have a 15 hour long schedule when it came to weekdays and weekends I couldn't bear to go out. Also, I'm good at only sketching which is not exactly a team activity sort of thing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

I was planning to launch a startup that would organize events online. Would you be interested in participating in those events if we provide certificates (of repute) to the winners?
This can be something to add on in the extra curricular activities section of your MBA application as well as your resume.

Will you people participate in those events (with a little participation fee)?

Come on friends :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBA applicants are advised to have extracurricular activities on their resume. Admissions committees want to see that you are using your education and experience to contribute not only to your employer, but to society. Extracurricular activities like volunteerism and hobbies can help you to stand out from other candidates.

For more info on Extracurricular Activities and their contribution to your MBA application, please visit: https://aringo.com/extracurricular-acti ... plication/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Send PM
What if, due to the nature of my job I do not have enough time to actually volunteer but I support with donations? Does that count as community service?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.46
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
My advice is think of your extracurriculars as soon as you decide to get your MBA and start participating in things as soon as or before you prepare for GMAT. Too many applicants prioritize the other parts of the application and save ECs for last which is a shame because the ECs work so much stronger for you if you are involved with them for an extended period of time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot