Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Are successful essays more direct or more creative?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V49
GPA: 3.85
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: How To Write Essays: Direct or Creative? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I feel like creativity lends itself better to longer essays, where you have more space to develop a story. Schools like Yale and MIT have tight word limits so a more direct approach might be better/easier -- while you can certainly add creativity into those essays, it will take more effort and time on your part. On the other end of the spectrum, Cornell and Duke want you to be creative based on the nature of their essay topics alone (obviously that goes for the (in)famous topics from Booth and NYU as well).

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
I feel like creativity lends itself better to longer essays, where you have more space to develop a story. Schools like Yale and MIT have tight word limits so a more direct approach might be better/easier -- while you can certainly add creativity into those essays, it will take more effort and time on your part. On the other end of the spectrum, Cornell and Duke want you to be creative based on the nature of their essay topics alone (obviously that goes for the (in)famous topics from Booth and NYU as well).

I don't know if I would call the MIT limits tight after suffering through the Haas limits! :lol:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
kingfalcon wrote:
aerien wrote:

I don't know if I would call the MIT limits tight after suffering through the Haas limits! :lol:

I stayed away from that beast ;) There's no way I could cut down my long-winded writing style enough for that one!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I think it depends on different factors, such as word limit, like aerien mentioned.

One key factor would be the question type. For example, I feel that the direct approach works with the 'Why MBA, Why School X' question, whereas some creativity can be applied in the 'leadership experience, strengths and weaknesses, moments that defined who you are' questions.

Having said that, I have applied some creativity to some 'Why MBA, Why School X' questions since the questions allow for that, e.g. Kellogg's 3rd essay question asking for an applicant to imagine having graduated and think back about the career about to be entered, and how Kellogg's MBA helped the applicant to get there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I think the most important thing is that you fully address the prompt. If you can do this as well with a creative essay as with a formal essay, then it's up to you, just don't get distracted.

One strategy that has a certain logic to it is to use a more bold/creative approach for your reach schools, since you might need that little extra to get their attention, and it's relatively low-risk since the school was a long shot to begin with. Then with safety/mid-range schools, use a more formal approach to just bolster your already-strong candidacy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Answer the question above all else. If you are not a creative writer do not try to be one for your essays. It's not something that everyone can do. It is better to tell a very straightforward story and answer the question than to try to create a work of literature that does not answer it.
I honestly think that if you are showing rather than telling (i.e. giving specific examples) there will be an element of storytelling to all of your essays. I know that there was in all of mine.
GMAT Club Bot