Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2014
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.71
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Jts320 wrote:
Anyone else get an email for a jefferson scholars interview. I got an invitiation to the ny region interview. I havent even applied to darden and wasnt initially planning to but email says you can apply after getting fellowship. From digging around, seems very prestigous and difficult to get but curious how many get interviewed regionally. It says i was selected due to gmat but i mean with a 730 gmat, i imagine many could get this interview

I received this email, too. However, I just applied two weeks ago via the Consortium. They didn't reference my app (I think we got the same email which mentioned that you didn't need to apply to pursue the scholarship). Maybe it's just off GMAT? I'm excited, regardless.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Jts320 wrote:
Anyone else get an email for a jefferson scholars interview. I got an invitiation to the ny region interview. I havent even applied to darden and wasnt initially planning to but email says you can apply after getting fellowship. From digging around, seems very prestigous and difficult to get but curious how many get interviewed regionally. It says i was selected due to gmat but i mean with a 730 gmat, i imagine many could get this interview

I'm curious... how did you end up getting the email if you weren't registered on their system? Did you end up opening an application and leaving it dormant?

Originally posted by kingfalcon on 27 Nov 2012, 19:23.
Last edited by kingfalcon on 27 Nov 2012, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
I received that email today as well, it appears to be directly based off GMAT scores (I think you can opt in when you take the test for them to release your score information to schools that want it) because I never signed up for anything directly with Darden and was not planning on applying there. My GMAT (740) is high but not more so than many other qualified applicants so I imagine they must have sent that email to a ton of people.

Does anyone know if this is legitimate? Seems too good to be true (free ride plus $23K stipend per year to a school ranked top-13), especially because they stated in the email that you don't even have to apply to the school before getting the scholarship. On a side note, that also conflicts with the info on the website which says you DO have to apply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Jts320 wrote:

I interviewed last week and got the same email today. I was hoping it was an indication of good things to come!

FYI, I also have a 730 gmat.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Guess I'm the only 730+ left out in the cold - no email here! :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V50
GPA: 3.92
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Jts320 wrote:

I got the email too. I've already applied. The scholarship is definitely real. I'm just wondering if going to the regional interview would be worth it-- everything I've read about the Jefferson Fellowship says they select you as a finalist after you apply at the time you would find out about other scholarships.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Interviewed a couple weeks ago but didnt get the invite for the Jefferson Scholars opportunity (GMAT 740) ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
LSnyder876 wrote:
Jts320 wrote:

I got the email too. I've already applied. The scholarship is definitely real. I'm just wondering if going to the regional interview would be worth it-- everything I've read about the Jefferson Fellowship says they select you as a finalist after you apply at the time you would find out about other scholarships.

I went to UVA undergrad and can say that the Jefferson Scholarship is a pretty big deal across the university. It is larger than just the Business School, so I'd definitely recommend going to a regional interview if invited. I don't see the down-side and you might get a pretty nice scholarship along with access to other events at UVA during your two years.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 2.96
WE:Other (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I went to UVA undergrad and can say that the Jefferson Scholarship is a pretty big deal across the university. It is larger than just the Business School, so I'd definitely recommend going to a regional interview if invited. I don't see the down-side and you might get a pretty nice scholarship along with access to other events at UVA during your two years.

I just got the invite yesterday, interviewed on Monday. Based on what I'm seeing, seems completely detached from the actual application process if people who haven't even engaged Darden got the same thing. Agree that the Darden website is slightly misleading in saying that it's only offered to those who are admitted.

Can anyone clarify the relationship between an invitation into the "special competition" for a Jefferson fellowship and a submitted application to Darden? I'm assuming there is none, but I'm wondering if it's something we are meant to communicate to admissions or if it means anything at all to their pending decision on my application.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
nedlipes wrote:

I just got the invite yesterday, interviewed on Monday. Based on what I'm seeing, seems completely detached from the actual application process if people who haven't even engaged Darden got the same thing. Agree that the Darden website is slightly misleading in saying that it's only offered to those who are admitted.

Can anyone clarify the relationship between an invitation into the "special competition" for a Jefferson fellowship and a submitted application to Darden? I'm assuming there is none, but I'm wondering if it's something we are meant to communicate to admissions or if it means anything at all to their pending decision on my application.

Thanks

I just checked the Darden website & their process doesn't seem to match the emails that you are saying you received. I'm wondering if these regional meetings are meant to introduce you to the Fellowship in hopes that you'll apply. I've seen that Darden doesn't do the greatest job of integrating it's marketing/outreach arm with it's Admissions arm (ex: I get emails reminding me of the Info Sessions / R2 dates, yet I've applied and interviewed for R1 already).

Link to the Jefferson Scholarship from Darden's page: https://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/MBA/Financial-Aid/Scholarships/Jefferson-Fellowships/
Link to the official Jefferson Scholar's Page on Graduate Selection process: https://www.jeffersonscholars.org/graduate-program/selection-process/
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
nedlipes wrote:

Thanks
Personally, I think it’s a marketing scheme to boost application volume and consideration. Darden may be using a GMAT/GPA combination to solicit application. What else do they have to go by before you even apply? When I was applying, some schools that I didn’t apply for sent over care packages.

I am very surprised that Darden used the Jefferson fellowship to do this, as it erodes the brand value. Jefferson is a prestigious full ride scholarship. I would say it’s based on the full package, work experience especially. My feeling is that getting the invitation means you passed the threshold for good candidate from a statistics standpoint, which at 730+ and 3.8+ you pretty much passed the statistics bar for any school.

The timing of the invite is interesting, since it’s late in the game. It makes me wonder if Darden is suffering from significant reduction in applications in the previous rounds.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.71
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
asimov wrote:
nedlipes wrote:

Thanks
Personally, I think it’s a marketing scheme to boost application volume and consideration. Darden may be using a GMAT/GPA combination to solicit application. What else do they have to go by before you even apply? When I was applying, some schools that I didn’t apply for sent over care packages.

I am very surprised that Darden used the Jefferson fellowship to do this, as it erodes the brand value. Jefferson is a prestigious full ride scholarship. I would say it’s based on the full package, work experience especially. My feeling is that getting the invitation means you passed the threshold for good candidate from a statistics standpoint, which at 730+ and 3.8+ you pretty much passed the statistics bar for any school.

The timing of the invite is interesting, since it’s late in the game. It makes me wonder if Darden is suffering from significant reduction in applications in the previous rounds.

I think this may be right. Either way, if i can actually go through with the fellowship process w/o submitting an application, no harm in doing an interview. Funny thing is say you should be selected, does the mba application just become a formality
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Jts320 wrote:
I think this may be right. Either way, if i can actually go through with the fellowship process w/o submitting an application, no harm in doing an interview. Funny thing is say you should be selected, does the mba application just become a formality
I think this is an ethically questionable marketing campaign. To drive up application volume and the fees associated with it, Darden is providing a false sense of security. The reality is that the mailing will not even guarantee admission into the MBA program.

If they are truly interested, they’ll be calling on you like a prized recruit, and offering fee waivers. It’d be funny if they start offering fee waiver after all the publicity.

I think the right way to approach it is to go through the fellowship process, get the offer and apply for the MBA program (if needed). Otherwise, you are just wasting your hard earned $$$$, and your time writing essays and getting recommendations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
But I think it's ok for people to get a scholarship before an admission. I have known big universities in Asia do that. You get sponsored by certain organizations before hand to study in the school of your choice. To add to this I believe in this case, the scholarship comes from UVA but the admission comes from Darden. Although part of the same scheme, totally different desicion making authorities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
No more invites for internationals ? People are not even discussing about the same. Looks like Round 1 discussions have gone to the next level- scholarships.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
riksuba10 wrote:
No more invites for internationals ? People are not even discussing about the same. Looks like Round 1 discussions have gone to the next level- scholarships.

There have been two waves of intl. invites so far. Comparing with the last year's stats on GmatClub, more than 60 applicants were invited in round 1. Around 40 invites have been reported so far at BTG. Therefore, I think there are still invites left.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Kudos
Bennybob wrote:
Can anybody that's already interviewed provide some insight on the line of questioning to expect? is it still the general "tell me your story" approach this year?

I interviewed on Monday at the Grounds. My interview was with an admissions committee member, though it looked like a lot of other people had student interviewers. I am wondering if there is any methodology behind who they place you with for your interview, but I assume not since they are conducted blind (though if anyone has any other idea about this, I'd be interested to know!)

I had already had two interviews (Fuqua and Tuck) at this point, but I was so nervous for my Darden interview because of the one-question format! I saw the potential for an awkward, run-on monologue, especially since I tend to be pretty chatty.

It was indeed the "tell me about yourself" question*, but it went a lot better, and felt far more conversational, than I had initially expected. As always you need to know the basics: why an MBA, why now, why Darden, career goals, etc. The key differentiator is that Darden wants to know more about your background. I read "The Darden MBA Admissions Interview Guide" by Adam Markus and found it to be really helpful for prepping (BTG wouldn't let me insert the link but it's a blogspot post). I basically used the format he laid out: introduced a few main themes from my application, connected them to a couple of annecdotes about my background, and then went into the standard MBA interview spiel about how those themes related to my career goals and school selection.

The biggest mistake I could forsee someone making in this interview (and as someone who tends towards TMI, it was something I had to remind myself while prepping) is that they'd basically tell their interviewer their life story and then not have enough time to get to the meat of the question. This is a lot easier to avoid when you're thrown specific, pointed questions. Because of that, I spent more time prepping for my Darden interview than the others. In the end, though, I thought I did a pretty good job staying on track and found the interview to be a pretty comfortable experience.

Happy to answer more questions if folks have 'em.

*but there were follow up questions later on--she asked about my interests out of work, what I would contribute to my learning team, and a few others I don't remember--anyone else get these?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts