Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Chupacabra wrote:
What is the best way to get from LaGuardia to New Haven?? Go to Grand Central then take Metro North? I'm going to the airport in 15min and starting to think I should have thought of this earlier....

This post has links to the ground transportation options that Yale suggests:

yale-som-2013-calling-all-applicants-135398-160.html?hilit=haven#p1133692
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Chupacabra wrote:
What is the best way to get from LaGuardia to New Haven?? Go to Grand Central then take Metro North? I'm going to the airport in 15min and starting to think I should have thought of this earlier....

I had a great experience with GO Airport Shuttle, even in a nasty storm. I've also heard that the Taxi service can do door to door for about the same price, and you don't have to risk driving all over Connecticut for pick ups and drop offs. 203 777-7777
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview on-campus yesterday. Again, SOM has not let me down - every student/alum I have met have all been more than enthusiastic to help, take time out of their day to talk about the school, or just offer advice. (Great meeting you MAJMMM!)

My interview started off fairly formulaic but towards the end things were a bit more loose and relaxed (probably a common wavelength for many MBA interviews). The interviewer was super friendly, and none of the questions were really anything you shouldn't otherwise be already prepared for. He did emphasize though that the interview was only one component of the entire application picture; basically, a weak interview won't necessarily ding you but acing the interview still doesn't mean you're going to get that acceptance letter! (The latter of which is kind of a bummer, since a great interview can create a lot of real positive momentum, all of which can be deflated in an instant with a ding).

anyways, best of luck everyone!

A little over 2 weeks until the big day!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Had my interview earlier this week and enjoyed spending the day at SOM learning about the atmosphere inside and outside the classroom. I had two questions that I didn't get a chance to ask and didn't know if others had insights:

- The "raw cases": I understand these are web-based but am still having trouble understanding how they fit into the overall curriculum. The class I attended didn't seem to incorporate any raw cases - the professor did solicit some feedback for the last five minutes on cases, but this was literally it. Not sure if there is any actual class time devoted to discussing these cases or if it was purely an extracurricular exercise.

- The interview: I was under the impression that almost all interviews were conducted by second-years. Every other prospective candidate that was in attendance that day seemed to have experienced an interview with second-years; however, my interview was with an AdCom. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into this and it was just a matter of availability but was curious if anyone else had this experience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ugeman229 wrote:
- The interview: I was under the impression that almost all interviews were conducted by second-years. Every other prospective candidate that was in attendance that day seemed to have experienced an interview with second-years; however, my interview was with an AdCom. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into this and it was just a matter of availability but was curious if anyone else had this experience.

I understand that SOM matches interviewers to the candidates in terms of career interests (ie: consulting track MBA student interviews applicant with career goals in consulting). Maybe there wasn't a good match available during your slot?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
ugeman229 wrote:
- The "raw cases": I understand these are web-based but am still having trouble understanding how they fit into the overall curriculum. The class I attended didn't seem to incorporate any raw cases - the professor did solicit some feedback for the last five minutes on cases, but this was literally it. Not sure if there is any actual class time devoted to discussing these cases or if it was purely an extracurricular exercise.

The raw cases (as opposed to the "cooked" cases that HBS and Darden put out) are awesome. I have really like what we have done with them so far. They are quite labor-intensive to make, so we haven't done a ton of them, (our other cases have largely been HBS and pre-"raw" SOM, with a few Darden and INSEAD), but I've been thoroughly impressed by how the raw case mimics today's research experience. They basically give you a prompt for discussion, and then more data than you and your team could EVER CONSUME in the amount of time you have. You have to divide and conquer, sift through financials, press, research papers, and expert testimony, (including a lot of varied media: video, podcasts, schematics, etc.), in order to find the best answers possible by the time class rolls around. This is usually within 48-72 hours, btw. It's actually really fun, and makes me really excited for the Global Network for Advanced Management expanding on this practice. They also continually update the cases each year, and none of them have been fully resolved, so the Zynga case that we did this year in Competitor will likely be completely different by this time next year.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
notferprofit wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:

I understand that SOM matches interviewers to the candidates in terms of career interests (ie: consulting track MBA student interviews applicant with career goals in consulting). Maybe there wasn't a good match available during your slot?

My interview was with a second-year whose background and career goals are completely different from mine. I didn't think about it too much or wonder why they weren't matching me better - I still felt that it went well. I wouldn't read into it too much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:

The raw cases (as opposed to the "cooked" cases that HBS and Darden put out) are awesome. I have really like what we have done with them so far. They are quite labor-intensive to make, so we haven't done a ton of them, (our other cases have largely been HBS and pre-"raw" SOM, with a few Darden and INSEAD), but I've been thoroughly impressed by how the raw case mimics today's research experience. They basically give you a prompt for discussion, and then more data than you and your team could EVER CONSUME in the amount of time you have. You have to divide and conquer, sift through financials, press, research papers, and expert testimony, (including a lot of varied media: video, podcasts, schematics, etc.), in order to find the best answers possible by the time class rolls around. This is usually within 48-72 hours, btw. It's actually really fun, and makes me really excited for the Global Network for Advanced Management expanding on this practice. They also continually update the cases each year, and none of them have been fully resolved, so the Zynga case that we did this year in Competitor will likely be completely different by this time next year.

Hope that helps!

This is helpful. Thx.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Had my interview on campus earlier this week. Definitely a great group of people and everyone came off as extremely helpful and smart. The only point of concern I had leaving Yale was that if you're interested in going the finance/PE route the school doesn't seem to have many students interested in that track. I probably could have figured that from looking at employment data, but it definitely hit me while I was there.

Overall great experience and, similar to everyone else on this forum, I'm very anxious to hear back in two week.s
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Chupacabra wrote:
Had my interview on campus earlier this week. Definitely a great group of people and everyone came off as extremely helpful and smart. The only point of concern I had leaving Yale was that if you're interested in going the finance/PE route the school doesn't seem to have many students interested in that track. I probably could have figured that from looking at employment data, but it definitely hit me while I was there.

Overall great experience and, similar to everyone else on this forum, I'm very anxious to hear back in two week.s

A finance person who interviewed on the same day as me felt the same way. Though, if you're in finance/PE and are okay with a more diverse student body (or at least one that's not a majority finance students), then Yale might be a better place for you.

Chupacabra, aren't you bound to CBS ED anyways?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Chupacabra wrote:
The only point of concern I had leaving Yale was that if you're interested in going the finance/PE route the school doesn't seem to have many students interested in that track. I probably could have figured that from looking at employment data, but it definitely hit me while I was there.

Perhaps there is somewhat of a silver lining - maybe it could work in your favor, assuming that if finance/PE firms are recruiting on campus at Yale, then you'll have less "competition" to fill those limited internship slots
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Chupacabra wrote:

Hm... I would venture to guess that at least a third of our class comes from, or is looking to go into finance/PE/VC or some sort of Impact Investing. I would note, however, that there's probably not a lot of cross-pollination between them and the folks who are working on Admissions stuff. This is likely due to the fact that the timelines for Finance recruiting are so quick that it makes it hard for these folks to participate in leading tours, talking to prospectives, and attending admissions receptions. Once the Winter Break socials are posted, you'll probably find a bunch of the finance folks hosting socials throughout the break in cities across the country and globally.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Yale also has a private equity conference each year. https://pe.som.yale.edu/2012/index.html
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51445 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply

Live Essay Writing Workshop, presented by Admissionado

Sigh. The MBA Application essays. Who thought it was a good idea to ask people to write 2000 words before they even get INTO school? Turns out, it doesn’t matter, because someone did… and now you have to come up with the most compelling and memorable essays about leadership that you can. And then do it again for every school you apply to.

It’s not easy, but this upcoming event should help. Submit your MBA Application essay to have an opportunity to have it reviewed for free by the team at Admissionado. Three essays will be selected, and if you are one of the lucky ones, you will have the opportunity to go through your essay with Phillip Herring (admissions expert and CBS MBA) in a live session. You will need to be OK with sharing your essay with attendees (don’t worry – we’ll keep your name/private info out of it), and available and online at the time of the event to chat it up with Phillip. Even if you aren’t selected, listen in, because there will still be plenty of essay advice to go around.

Submit your essay to lauren@admissionado.com by Monday, December 3. You will find out if you are selected by Wednesday, December 5. Then join the live event on Thursday, December 6 at 6pm PST. Register Now [FREE!]
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OhDenny wrote:
Once the Winter Break socials are posted, you'll probably find a bunch of the finance folks hosting socials throughout the break in cities across the country and globally.

Hi everyone,

It looks like Yale posted their Winter Social calendar. I'm guessing more updates will probably come in the next few weeks, too. Hope everyone has a chance to meet with some cool SOM-ers :)

https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/admissions/events.asp
Manager
Manager
Send PM
the final countdown. sort of scary that SOM is probably finalizing a list this coming week (or maybe even last week?)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
In less than a fortnight we shall know where we stand...

I'm curious: is anyone still scheduled for an interview these next twelve days? Or is the admissions committee in the middle of deliberations/decisions now?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts