Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
ugeman229 wrote:
sid05 wrote:
My guess is the interviewer's notes and a write-up/score sheet on the candidate are added to the file and the whole thing is re-evaluated as they said. In my mind, the interview serves 2 main purposes:

1. Make sure the candidate has good command of the English language (for the case method) and can perform under a little pressure
2. Illuminate more of the candidate's background - especially important for people with similar backgrounds (i.e. the droves of consultants/bankers/etc. that apply)

I highly doubt a slightly better story/answer would make a difference (though I have replayed mine in my head as well). You just want to come off as well-spoken and not a jerk. I do think there is some luck required in the next step when they piece together the class.

That does make sense... you are probably right that luck is a huge factor in this home stretch. Here's to hoping we all get just enough luck to get us in!

Hear that!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
KillerApp wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:
sid05 wrote:
My guess is the interviewer's notes and a write-up/score sheet on the candidate are added to the file and the whole thing is re-evaluated as they said. In my mind, the interview serves 2 main purposes:

1. Make sure the candidate has good command of the English language (for the case method) and can perform under a little pressure
2. Illuminate more of the candidate's background - especially important for people with similar backgrounds (i.e. the droves of consultants/bankers/etc. that apply)

I highly doubt a slightly better story/answer would make a difference (though I have replayed mine in my head as well). You just want to come off as well-spoken and not a jerk. I do think there is some luck required in the next step when they piece together the class.

That does make sense... you are probably right that luck is a huge factor in this home stretch. Here's to hoping we all get just enough luck to get us in!

Hear that!

Agree 100%. Some minutes of the day, this thought helps. Other minutes it hurts.

Very reassuring to see that I'm not alone in the thoughts re: interview, reflection, agonizing wait, etc. I'm really hoping for good news for all of us in just 2 (very long) weeks.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51448 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply

Live Essay Writing Workshop, presented by Admissionado

Sigh. The MBA Application essays. Who thought it was a good idea to ask people to write 2000 words before they even get INTO school? Turns out, it doesn’t matter, because someone did… and now you have to come up with the most compelling and memorable essays about leadership that you can. And then do it again for every school you apply to.

It’s not easy, but this upcoming event should help. Submit your MBA Application essay to have an opportunity to have it reviewed for free by the team at Admissionado. Three essays will be selected, and if you are one of the lucky ones, you will have the opportunity to go through your essay with Phillip Herring (admissions expert and CBS MBA) in a live session. You will need to be OK with sharing your essay with attendees (don’t worry – we’ll keep your name/private info out of it), and available and online at the time of the event to chat it up with Phillip. Even if you aren’t selected, listen in, because there will still be plenty of essay advice to go around.

Submit your essay to lauren@admissionado.com by Monday, December 3. You will find out if you are selected by Wednesday, December 5. Then join the live event on Thursday, December 6 at 6pm PST. Register Now [FREE!]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
For those of you in NYC... my girlfriend (HBS '11) is hosting a young alumni holiday formal tomorrow night. It should be a fun event as well as a good opportunity to network with 200+ recent grads. Tickets can be purchased at: https://hbsholidayparty.eventbrite.com

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
stoweker wrote:
For those of you in NYC... my girlfriend (HBS '11) is hosting a young alumni holiday formal tomorrow night. It should be a fun event as well as a good opportunity to network with 200+ recent grads.

Thanks, stoweker . My boyfriend and I will be there! Worst case, we're at an open bar party... worth a shot!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys think they differentiate between waitlisted candidates post and pre interview? Seems like they will waitlist ~100 people after the interview, but already have folks waiting from October. Do you think people with interviews have an advantage?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
KillerApp wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys think they differentiate between waitlisted candidates post and pre interview? Seems like they will waitlist ~100 people after the interview, but already have folks waiting from October. Do you think people with interviews have an advantage?

Good question. I wonder what leads the adcom to waitlist applicants w/o interviewing them...maybe the applicant has a good story/stats but there aren't enough interview slots to extend an invitation in a particular round? a good applicant all things considered, but weaker than his/her industry/country peer group?

I understand interviewing an applicant, then waitlisting to see what R2 applicants look like, but the idea of waitlisting without an interview seems odd to me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
schroedes wrote:
KillerApp wrote:

Good question. I wonder what leads the adcom to waitlist applicants w/o interviewing them...maybe the applicant has a good story/stats but there aren't enough interview slots to extend an invitation in a particular round? a good applicant all things considered, but weaker than his/her industry/country peer group?

I understand interviewing an applicant, then waitlisting to see what R2 applicants look like, but the idea of waitlisting without an interview seems odd to me.

Yeah, and I am assuming that they have less of a waitlist in R2 (as they have seen ~90-95% of applicants by then), so I am thinking they have a total waitlist of 200 people (mostly from R1) from which they admit 25-50. This 200 is probably comprised of the pre and post interview R1 folks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
For US applicants - remember Thanksgiving? Seems pretty recent, right?

The period of time that has elapsed between Thxgiving and today is the same amount of time FROM today when we will find out our fate at HBS.

Yes... I am a huge tool.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ugeman229 wrote:

The period of time that has elapsed between Thxgiving and today is the same amount of time FROM today when we will find out our fate at HBS.

Yes... I am a huge tool.

Hahaha - this is EXACTLY what I have been doing for the last 2 weeks.. :P gives you some peace...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
KillerApp wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:

Yes... I am a huge tool.

Hahaha - this is EXACTLY what I have been doing for the last 2 weeks.. :P gives you some peace...

9 days! Single digits! Really hoping for some good news on the 12th. I am dreading the thought of having to submit for R2 anywhere and start the whole process over again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Had a dream last night I received a phone call that I was accepted at HBS and then subsequently told it was a mistake and I was actually rejected...

Then I somehow ended up at a Tom Petty concert and there was a talking cat on stage. Dreams are crazy, huh?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [6]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
I was trying to describe how painful the wait is to some friends that are not applying to B-Schools. I ended up telling them that it's like training for the Olympics. You've just competed in the gold medal round and now, you have to wait 1 month to see the judges scores.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
esdykes wrote:
I was trying to describe how painful the wait is to some friends that are not applying to B-Schools. I ended up telling them that it's like training for the Olympics. You've just competed in the gold medal round and now, you have to wait 1 month to see the judges scores.

I feel it is more like the dentist telling me "You need to have a root canal in a few weeks, but there is a chance I will not have anesthetics available when you come in." (following that analogy, I'm just ready for this toothache to be gone)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hunterashmore wrote:
esdykes wrote:

I feel it is more like the dentist telling me "You need to have a root canal in a few weeks, but there is a chance I will not have anesthetics available when you come in." (following that analogy, I'm just ready for this toothache to be gone)

Haha, nicely put!

Which of you are planning to apply R2? If so, how are the apps coming? I feel like I cant get myself to progress at all, such a weird feeling...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
KillerApp wrote:
Which of you are planning to apply R2? If so, how are the apps coming? I feel like I cant get myself to progress at all, such a weird feeling...

I started my R2 apps...but I completely share your lack of enthusiasm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
hunterashmore wrote:
KillerApp wrote:

I started my R2 apps...but I completely share your lack of enthusiasm.

I'm counting on two things which make R2 a moot point: good news Dec 12th or the apocalypse on Dec 21st.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  26   27   28   29   30   31   32  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts