Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [16]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1043 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink]
The answer is B great explanation jp27 kudos + 1
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
I picked C can someone explain this question. I don't understand why B is the correct choice.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
I picked C can someone explain this question. I don't understand why B is the correct choice.

Hi
I would like to help you with this;-

There are two effects described by the study of teams wearing either red or blue color jersey.
Either
1st effect:-

Winner feeling subconsciously more powerful

Or

2nd effect

Loser feeling less powerful subconsciously.

Now option C states desired result may be achieved only if white shirt is worn.....its an open ended statement full of flaws such as it does not answers which color jersey team will wear white shirt.
Also which effect will be more overpowering if white shirt is worn.
i mean it may be that the team in blue jersey may feel more down in morale and may lose the game...this is also helping in achieving the effect described in the study mentioned in the argument.

-----------------------------------------------------
If my post helped pls give kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Hi
I would like to help you with this;-

There are two effects described by the study of teams wearing either red or blue color jersey.
Either
1st effect:-

Winner feeling subconsciously more powerful

Or

2nd effect

Loser feeling less powerful subconsciously.

Now option C states desired result may be achieved only if white shirt is worn.....its an open ended statement full of flaws such as it does not answers which color jersey team will wear white shirt.
Also which effect will be more overpowering if white shirt is worn.
i mean it may be that the team in blue jersey may feel more down in morale and may lose the game...this is also helping in achieving the effect described in the study mentioned in the argument.

-----------------------------------------------------
If my post helped pls give kudos

Thanks for the reply! it was helpful.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
nelz007 wrote:
Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as well as animals. A group of psychologists carried out an experiment which confirms the subconscious effects of this color on human behavior. They provided selected sports teams at school and college level with either red or blue shorts and recorded the outcome of the games. The teams wearing red won in a disproportionate number of matches. The psychologists suggested that either the teams wearing red subconsciously felt themselves more powerful, or that the non-red teams were subconsciously intimidated by the red color.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the psychologists’ suggestion?

(A) Each team wore red in some matches and blue in others.

(B) The color blue has the subconscious effect of making human beings less competitive.

(C) The effect was only observed if all the team members wore white shirts.

(D) Red signifies danger in some cultures whereas it signifies happiness in others.

(E) In a subsequent study, teams with all-red outfits were more likely to report that they thought they would win no matter what color the opponents wore.

But the passage talks about non-red teams, we can't assume that non red = blue. Why would we care about the color blue? What if there are no teams that wear blue outfits?

For me this is clearly out of scope. Its actually a trap. Since answer choice mentions something about the color blue, then answer choice B repeats something similar. But we miss the whole point. We should focus on what's written on the stimulus, not use any info given in another answer choice

For me D is the OA

Cheers
J
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:

But the passage talks about non-red teams, we can't assume that non red = blue. Why would we care about the color blue? What if there are no teams that wear blue outfits?

For me this is clearly out of scope. Its actually a trap. Since answer choice mentions something about the color blue, then answer choice B repeats something similar. But we miss the whole point. We should focus on what's written on the stimulus, not use any info given in another answer choice

For me D is the OA

Cheers
J

I don't think that's correct because because of deductive reasoning.
Here is the conditional statement:
1) If Red -> then feel more powerful
2) If feel more powerful -> then win
3) if red -> then win

Any claim that changes the conditional statement weakens the argument, and answer B reverses the logic.

Stimulus
Red -> then feel more powerful OR if not more powerful -> then not red (blue)

The answer choice reverses the logic
If blue -> then team itself not powerful.

Thus, if blue feels less powerful by virtue of wearing blue, then the scientists hypothesis is weakened. It is in fact blue that makes teams lose, not seeing red on the other team.
IMO B

Additionally, we can use premises not in the stimulus whenever the stem has "which of the following, if true."

Do you find my reasoning to be valid?

Regards,
Aa
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Argument says that it is because of red colour one team wins and because of non-red colour other loses

to weaken we should provide another reason for victory or defeat (may be out of colour)

option B says that it is because of blue colour one team wins or another loses

B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
But red team won disproportionately

(B) The color blue has the subconscious effect of making human beings less competitive.
Weakens the argument Right answer

White and red. Does not weaken

(D) Red signifies danger in some cultures whereas it signifies happiness in others.
striiiiiiike out!

(E) In a subsequent study, teams with all-red outfits were more likely to report that they thought they would win no matter what color the opponents wore.
strengthens the argument
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
nelz007 wrote:
Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as well as animals. A group of psychologists carried out an experiment which confirms the subconscious effects of this color on human behavior. They provided selected sports teams at school and college level with either red or blue shorts and recorded the outcome of the games. The teams wearing red won in a disproportionate number of matches. The psychologists suggested that either the teams wearing red subconsciously felt themselves more powerful, or that the non-red teams were subconsciously intimidated by the red color.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the psychologists’ suggestion?

For me D is the OA

Cheers
J

This questions is an example of cause and effect weaken questions. As per the author's suggestion, red color is responsible for "powerful" effects which leads to winning the matches disproportionately. Therfore, to weaken the argument, we need to introduce an alternate cause to the phenomenon of winning/losing matches. Therefore, an alternate color (blue) also has been stated to have the potential of affecting the outcome of the match performance (not red alone or independently). It's not about the color but about the alternate cause producing a similar phenomenon.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts