Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
And I've finally DHL-ed my transcripts. A week to go. I like that Said is one of the first universities to give the final decision - an accept / ding early on is much more helpful!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Send PM
[/quote] Also...only about a week away from Round 1 decisions!!![/quote]

:? This "less than week" countdown always give jitters. Hope after a week we will rejoice :-D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
I had my interview on Skype on Wednesday... Well it was supposed to be through Skype but the interviewer couldn't hear my audio. I'm convinced it was something wrong on his side because I use Skype regularly with no problem.. Even tried using a headset and he still couldn't hear. Anyway, he then phoned me and we kept the Skype video on, but then midway through it my internet went wacky so the video stopped.. The whole ordeal lost about 5 minutes of interview time, so my interview was only about 25 minutes. Just hoping this doesn't have a negative impact!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Kudos
lbkova wrote:
I also had to send the certified copies. I don't see any point is this either. Why the extra cost if I'm not admitted in the end? I took it for some kind of Oxford eccentricity... :) LBS and IE didn't ask for anything.
By the way, a quick question: how do you see the quality of career service in Oxford? I heard that this is the weak point there even if the 89% placement rate for 2011 does seem to be OK. Also why only 14% of students do an internship? Is this connected to the poor quality of career service, namely that on-campus recruiting is weak there? I would think that an internship is a major attraction for every MBA student...

I think Oxford SBS has one of the better designed career services anywhere. First, there is a specific person assigned to each of the major industries (Consulting, Finance, Industry, Tech), then you have access to has 1-on-1 mentoring sessions with sector consultants (fellows of the school who have worked in your targeted industry). Then there are usual assistance such as connecting you to specific company recruiters, alumni in specific companies, organizing presentations and so on.

The issue is students don't want to work. Let me explain. If you are coming to UK looking for a job in investment banking or M&A or trading, and you don't get a job, don't come running saying the career services is worthless. Bulge bracket class sizes are in teens (compared to triple digit numbers few years back) and if they must fill these classes why not fill it with undergrads. Do you have previous experience working in M&A analyst and are looking to go work for your preferred bank as an associate or perhaps move to PE or hedge fund. I am sure you will have no problems finding your preferred job. But, if you have technology consulting experience and you have an unrealistic goal of a job in PE or HF, then tell who here is at fault.

Does that mean switching over to finance is impossible? No, its easier in a two year program where you have a chance of a four month internship.

Recently, I went to two presentations of couple of largest oil and gas companies (I never wanted to work for them, just wanted to make sure). The one in London had zero other MBA representation from Said. Sure, London is an hour away. But, if I knew about it and got an invitation, someone looking for a job should have made it there. That doesn't mean Said MBAs are lazy. That means that none of them want to work for that oil & gas company. There are so many in class whose career goals are social enterprise. Of course, you will never see them looking for a traditional job.

Back to internship. lbkova - I have to say, you haven't done enough research regarding this. There are two kinds of internships at Said. Pre-MBA and post-MBA. Pre-MBA internships are available to those who have relevant industry knowledge. This should be obvious if you think from the hiring companies perspective. You don't have any industry background and you don't have business knowledge why should they hire and pay you for 2 months when you are essentially worthless to them.

Post-MBA internships are only if you don't want a strategic consulting project. Strategic consulting projects are not only more lucrative in terms of their variety and offering, but in terms of the level of work you do. People have worked in all kinds of industries, geographies in the past. Someone I knew did one at Ferrari's headquarters. Someone else spent the two months consulting for a shipping company in Greece (I think that particular group spent every afternoon on the beach).

Hopefully, this answers your questions/concerns. If any of you have a industry/function specific career question, feel free to ask. If I can't help you, I will connect with someone with relevant experience from the class.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
It was nice meeting those of you that came to the interview day today. Expect to hear your results earlier than Friday. Sometimes Said starts emailing people as early as Monday/Tuesday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V610
GPA: 3.77
WE:Research (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
This is a great thread!!
Thanks to all the current student and alumni for your wonderful experience and tips!!!

Some queries I have
1. I heard about banking. What is the situation for consulting especially for someone with a tech background looking to change industry with a degree?
2. Cambridge requires 3 years work exp from applicants while Said doesn't. Is it implied or does Said have a lower age average and work exp criterion.

I am confused with Oxford MBA and applying for a PhD at London business School (a very odd decision for relatively inexperienced candidate but something I am interested in :P )
Can anyone guide me about the financial aid possibilities at Said and possibility to continue on to a PhD in business.

Regards
Aditya
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:
It was nice meeting those of you that came to the interview day today. Expect to hear your results earlier than Friday. Sometimes Said starts emailing people as early as Monday/Tuesday.

Once again, another great post sanjuro9, thanks for all the information. That would be fantastic if we received our results prior to Friday! I'm coming up on the Go-Live of an 18mo systems implementation project with my current employer, so my life is a little crazy at the moment, but the thought of (hopefully) good news is keeping me especially motivated this week.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:

That actually makes me worry - if I dont hear by late Thursday, it ll be a ding on Friday!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
longranger wrote:
sanjuro9 wrote:

That actually makes me worry - if I dont hear by late Thursday, it ll be a ding on Friday!

I'm hoping we all hear at roughly the same time, that should at least cut down on some unneeded stress. On that note, assuming no one else heard anything today, it looks like we're waiting until at least tomorrow (Wednesday) for any word as it's past 6:00pm in the UK at the moment.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:
lbkova wrote:
I also had to send the certified copies. I don't see any point is this either. Why the extra cost if I'm not admitted in the end? I took it for some kind of Oxford eccentricity... :) LBS and IE didn't ask for anything.
By the way, a quick question: how do you see the quality of career service in Oxford? I heard that this is the weak point there even if the 89% placement rate for 2011 does seem to be OK. Also why only 14% of students do an internship? Is this connected to the poor quality of career service, namely that on-campus recruiting is weak there? I would think that an internship is a major attraction for every MBA student...

Thank you for your remarks Sanjuro9! However I would like to add my own ones to yours...

I think Oxford SBS has one of the better designed career services anywhere. First, there is a specific person assigned to each of the major industries (Consulting, Finance, Industry, Tech), then you have access to has 1-on-1 mentoring sessions with sector consultants (fellows of the school who have worked in your targeted industry). Then there are usual assistance such as connecting you to specific company recruiters, alumni in specific companies, organizing presentations and so on.

In my opinion every decent MBA course offers the above options, ESADE, IE, LBS, etc. So I don't see anything special here actually... SBS does what is expected in this respect.

The issue is students don't want to work. Let me explain. If you are coming to UK looking for a job in investment banking or M&A or trading, and you don't get a job, don't come running saying the career services is worthless. Bulge bracket class sizes are in teens (compared to triple digit numbers few years back) and if they must fill these classes why not fill it with undergrads. Do you have previous experience working in M&A analyst and are looking to go work for your preferred bank as an associate or perhaps move to PE or hedge fund. I am sure you will have no problems finding your preferred job. But, if you have technology consulting experience and you have an unrealistic goal of a job in PE or HF, then tell who here is at fault.

Does that mean switching over to finance is impossible? No, its easier in a two year program where you have a chance of a four month internship.

Recently, I went to two presentations of couple of largest oil and gas companies (I never wanted to work for them, just wanted to make sure). The one in London had zero other MBA representation from Said. Sure, London is an hour away. But, if I knew about it and got an invitation, someone looking for a job should have made it there. That doesn't mean Said MBAs are lazy. That means that none of them want to work for that oil & gas company. There are so many in class whose career goals are social enterprise. Of course, you will never see them looking for a traditional job.

Ok, that's fair enough what you write. Everybody should do his/her own part. There's nothing wrong with that. By the way, I don't want to change industry (investment management) only location / geography. So I don't expect to be transformed into a NASA astronaut in a year...

Back to internship. lbkova - I have to say, you haven't done enough research regarding this. There are two kinds of internships at Said. Pre-MBA and post-MBA. Pre-MBA internships are available to those who have relevant industry knowledge. This should be obvious if you think from the hiring companies perspective. You don't have any industry background and you don't have business knowledge why should they hire and pay you for 2 months when you are essentially worthless to them.

I have to say I did my research. I know about the pre-MBA internship option. And may I ask for how many people is it offered? To ten maybe? Wow, that will increase the 14% internship rate (for 2011, from the school website) dramatically! It will add another 4% (10/250) to the above reported figure... It's still low, sorry to say...

Post-MBA internships are only if you don't want a strategic consulting project. Strategic consulting projects are not only more lucrative in terms of their variety and offering, but in terms of the level of work you do. People have worked in all kinds of industries, geographies in the past. Someone I knew did one at Ferrari's headquarters. Someone else spent the two months consulting for a shipping company in Greece (I think that particular group spent every afternoon on the beach).

I just hope that you are not implying that those guys/girls paid 40k pounds to sit on the beach for 2 months... That would make it a rather expensive holiday... But seriously, if strategic consulting project = paid internship at Said and if those projects can be turned into real job offers in the end, then it's all right and will explain the seemingly low figure.

Hopefully, this answers your questions/concerns. If any of you have a industry/function specific career question, feel free to ask. If I can't help you, I will connect with someone with relevant experience from the class.

Anyway, thank you for your answers and help! I really appreciate it. I don't want to look fault-finding, but this is a really big (investment) decision for all of us, so I try to gather as much info as I can before saying yes to the offer from any school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
During interviews adcom suggested that it can do early decisions based on individual's circumstances. Just curious, did anybody ask for early decision? and got any news from SAID yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Another day, another empty inbox. Any other R1 applicants receive a decision? Looking back at the Oxford 2012 thread, R1 started getting their decisions on Wednesday the week of the deadline, so we may yet receive word today, although things can certainly change from year-to-year.

For reference (the 2012 thread): oxford-said-business-school-2012-applicants-117709-80.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Oh wow, is it that time of the year already? Good luck guys! I hope it's good news for everyone here. :)

I'll be applying to round 2, if I don't slack off during the holidays. Hah!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
yeah ... i had checked the last year's thread as well and was really hoping that today would be the d-day. another hour before the day closes in the UK. but don't think they will send anything today. tomorrow maybe. my interview call came a day before the deadline so maybe this year everything is only a day before.
best of luck to all those waiting!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
I am so f-ing nervous... come on Saïd.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Same here, I'm going crazy constantly checking my email. Oh well, it looks like another day has passed, best of luck tomorrow everyone!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The wait continues.. Could today be D-Day? Does anyone know if Said announces on its FB / Twitter if its releasing the decisions soon?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts