Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-28-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hello fellow Toastmasters member,

I am not as familiar with the Indian business schools. But I think gaining some experience outside your home country will serve you well, so I highly encourage you to look into the schools in Singapore. I left the comfort of southern california to pursue my MBA at London Business School, and I learned a lot from just being in Europe and seeing how other people view the U.S.

NUS and Nanyang would be great schools for you to consider. An MBA from Singapore can provide you with Pan Asia and global perspective, and it is such a dynamic city to be in.

Good luck!

Christine Lin
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

gr1707 wrote:
Hi,

Could you please help me in evaluating my profile.

I wrote GMAT and scored 660 (Q-49, V-33)

Degree : BTech(IT)
Job : Systems Engineer in TCS(Development project) in BFSI(banking and finance ) domain
Working for multinational client dealing with Financial Markets
2+ years exp.
Have conducted lots of trainings and participated in extracurriculars too.
Social Activities : Volunteer in some NGOs
Leadership Exp : College event coordinator, managed fests etc. Trainings in job.
Activities : Dance, public speaking, painting, member of Toast Masters International, Throw ball team in school

Looking for MBA in Finance.
Please advise Indian and Singapore based schools .

Thanks in advance .
GR
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.84
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi,

I'd appreciate it if you could provide some application tips...I am going to apply for Round 1 next year.

1) Female, 3 yrs in top Engine Manufacturing Company based in Midwest. In Financial Rotational Program, have been to Accounting, Plant Manufacturing Costing, high level reporting and analysis, and Engineering Finance a total of 4 functions with each half an year. Going to apply next Year for first round.
2) 680-710, going to target 750+ before first round next year
3) College info: IUB Kelley Bschool, 3.84, Finance 3.93, Accounting 3.79. In addition, another college degree slightly before this one in China, 3.3 in sociology major. Graduated from Kelley in 2011. Only Undergradute degree.

4) Activities
Co-Founder and Co-President, Chinese Business Association at Kelley School of Business. Now with 300+ members. Received "2011 IU Student Org honorable Mention" Award. Now I am sitting as Alum Committee Chair at this club.

Founder and President, Chidren's Mentor Network (post university club). A club targeting children living in poverty are in china. Raised funding to help them get back to schools, and set up one-on-one mentoring service for 30 children (selected). Volunteering to teach them classes during Christmas. Advocated this program through local TV Station and newspapers and secured a few corporations for funding.

Event Co-Leader, Women's Affinity Club (in my current company). Will be holding several mentoring events next year.

Will-be Vice President of whatever title soon. At my father's company (200+ employee medical appliance manufacturing corp). I am looking forward to seeking for business in North America for this company.

5) CPA all exams passed. CFA Level 1, might take level 2 next year
6) MBA Goal: Top 10
7) Career Goal: Entreprenuership or VC
8)Others: 2nd place in women's basketable 3v3 game in 2008 in a Chinese University campus tournament
member in golf club
play a few other sports, not outstanding tho
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi AprilJean,

Kudos on demonstrating leadership capabilities through extracurricular activities!

It is good that you are preparing early. There are many things you can do right now to help improve your chances of getting into a top school, starting with the GMAT. I would recommend studying and taking the GMAT to get that out of the way first.

Meanwhile, take on leadership opportunities at work, start thinking about who you may want to ask to write your recommendation letter, and get really clear about what your post MBA career goal and your long-term career vision, and how you think an MBA will help you get there. Research the schools to narrow down 4-6 schools to apply to.

Are you quitting your current job to switch to work your father's company? Title does not matter as much as what you would actually be able to accomplish within the new role.

I would be happy to speak to you further to provide you with more specific feedback if you are interested. Please feel free to email me your resume, and we can set up a time to talk. clin@marveladmissions.com

Good luck!

Christine Lin

AprilJean wrote:
Hi,

I'd appreciate it if you could provide some application tips...I am going to apply for Round 1 next year.

1) Female, 3 yrs in top Engine Manufacturing Company based in Midwest. In Financial Rotational Program, have been to Accounting, Plant Manufacturing Costing, high level reporting and analysis, and Engineering Finance a total of 4 functions with each half an year. Going to apply next Year for first round.
2) 680-710, going to target 750+ before first round next year
3) College info: IUB Kelley Bschool, 3.84, Finance 3.93, Accounting 3.79. In addition, another college degree slightly before this one in China, 3.3 in sociology major. Graduated from Kelley in 2011. Only Undergradute degree.

4) Activities
Co-Founder and Co-President, Chinese Business Association at Kelley School of Business. Now with 300+ members. Received "2011 IU Student Org honorable Mention" Award. Now I am sitting as Alum Committee Chair at this club.

Founder and President, Chidren's Mentor Network (post university club). A club targeting children living in poverty are in china. Raised funding to help them get back to schools, and set up one-on-one mentoring service for 30 children (selected). Volunteering to teach them classes during Christmas. Advocated this program through local TV Station and newspapers and secured a few corporations for funding.

Event Co-Leader, Women's Affinity Club (in my current company). Will be holding several mentoring events next year.

Will-be Vice President of whatever title soon. At my father's company (200+ employee medical appliance manufacturing corp). I am looking forward to seeking for business in North America for this company.

5) CPA all exams passed. CFA Level 1, might take level 2 next year
6) MBA Goal: Top 10
7) Career Goal: Entreprenuership or VC
8)Others: 2nd place in women's basketable 3v3 game in 2008 in a Chinese University campus tournament
member in golf club
play a few other sports, not outstanding tho
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Age- 26

Nationality - Indian

GMAT 2- 700 (Q49, V- 35)
GMAT 1- 680 (Q49, V-34)
WE- 3.5 (so far) in Retail Analytics + Decision Making global firm (offices in US, UK, Asia and Europe)
1. worked with the 2nd largest grocery retailer in the US on streamlining their loyalty and rewards work stream, was recognized for my efforts with an inter-company award and a promotion
2. Worked with one of the largest coffee and fresh bread chains in the US, streamlining their loyalty card offering and making the program more personalized for the customer.
3. Currently working with the second largest grocery retailer in a Scandinavian country, worked on the Pricing Strategy for one their store formats which has been rolled-out nationally. Worked directly with the pricing team of the Client, while being at their offices in Scandinavia.

Undergrad- Bachelors in Engineering from Delhi University (Top 10 engineering college of the country)
Undergrad Score - 3.5

Leadership Roles/Community Service-

1. President of the Toastmasters Club of the corporate club at my organization, was also the VP, Education for the Club the year before I became the president. winner of awards at the Area level, Certified Competent Communicator.
2. Head, Quizzing Club at my organization, started the club and am responsible for hosting all the trivia quizzing activities at the office. Have also represented the organization in inter-company quizzing competitions.
3. NGO work- working in my spare time with a charitable NGO which provides schooling to under-privileged slum kids
4. Head of Publications, IEEE-Student chapter at my undergrad college. Was responsible for the publication of all the technical magazines from the stable
5. Founder and Head of the Quiz Club at my undergrad college, have participated and won many inter-collegiate trivia competitions across the country.

Post MBA goals:-
To work in a firm like Amazon, which is the biggest online retailer and apply the principles of management, analytics and marketing to make the online experience even better.
Or
To move in the field of consulting where my inter-personal and analytical skills can be utilized to the fullest in providing the best strategic solutions to my Clients

Schools targeted:-
Dream- Kellogg, Wharton,Tuck (First 2 are good schools in the field of Marketing, Tuck very good in General Management & Consulting)
Reach- Duke, Ross, Darden

I am not very happy with my GMAT score; it's not the score that I'd love to have, but it's something that I can live with. What do you think are my chances at an admit at these schools? Should I look at some other schools as well? Planning to apply next year, so will have a WE of about 60 months if and when I start my classes in the Fall of 2014.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi fellow Toastmasters member,

You seems to have strong/interesting work experience, as well as leadership experience and great extracurricular activities. It will be extremely important for you to have strong application essays. How much time have you spent working outside of India?

You should be competitive at Duke, Ross, and Darden.

Happy to discuss further regarding additional schools to consider, and ways to improve your candidacy. It is great to start preparing early for the applications, and get ready for Round 1 next year. Please feel free to send me your info through https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Thank you.

Christine Lin

solerenegade wrote:
Age- 26

Nationality - Indian

GMAT 2- 700 (Q49, V- 35)
GMAT 1- 680 (Q49, V-34)
WE- 3.5 (so far) in Retail Analytics + Decision Making global firm (offices in US, UK, Asia and Europe)
1. worked with the 2nd largest grocery retailer in the US on streamlining their loyalty and rewards work stream, was recognized for my efforts with an inter-company award and a promotion
2. Worked with one of the largest coffee and fresh bread chains in the US, streamlining their loyalty card offering and making the program more personalized for the customer.
3. Currently working with the second largest grocery retailer in a Scandinavian country, worked on the Pricing Strategy for one their store formats which has been rolled-out nationally. Worked directly with the pricing team of the Client, while being at their offices in Scandinavia.

Undergrad- Bachelors in Engineering from Delhi University (Top 10 engineering college of the country)
Undergrad Score - 3.5

Leadership Roles/Community Service-

1. President of the Toastmasters Club of the corporate club at my organization, was also the VP, Education for the Club the year before I became the president. winner of awards at the Area level, Certified Competent Communicator.
2. Head, Quizzing Club at my organization, started the club and am responsible for hosting all the trivia quizzing activities at the office. Have also represented the organization in inter-company quizzing competitions.
3. NGO work- working in my spare time with a charitable NGO which provides schooling to under-privileged slum kids
4. Head of Publications, IEEE-Student chapter at my undergrad college. Was responsible for the publication of all the technical magazines from the stable
5. Founder and Head of the Quiz Club at my undergrad college, have participated and won many inter-collegiate trivia competitions across the country.

Post MBA goals:-
To work in a firm like Amazon, which is the biggest online retailer and apply the principles of management, analytics and marketing to make the online experience even better.
Or
To move in the field of consulting where my inter-personal and analytical skills can be utilized to the fullest in providing the best strategic solutions to my Clients

Schools targeted:-
Dream- Kellogg, Wharton,Tuck (First 2 are good schools in the field of Marketing, Tuck very good in General Management & Consulting)
Reach- Duke, Ross, Darden

I am not very happy with my GMAT score; it's not the score that I'd love to have, but it's something that I can live with. What do you think are my chances at an admit at these schools? Should I look at some other schools as well? Planning to apply next year, so will have a WE of about 60 months if and when I start my classes in the Fall of 2014.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
MarvelAdmissions wrote:

You seems to have strong/interesting work experience, as well as leadership experience and great extracurricular activities. It will be extremely important for you to have strong application essays. How much time have you spent working outside of India?

Happy to discuss further regarding additional schools to consider, and ways to improve your candidacy. It is great to start preparing early for the applications, and get ready for Round 1 next year. Please feel free to send me your info through https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Thank you.

Christine Lin

Ah! So I bumped into a fellow ToastMaster! Brilliant! :) Thank you so much Christine, for taking out time for this and giving a prompt reply.

I have a decent amount of international exposure- close to 12 months of my WE has been out of India. I am pretty sue that a few more months would be added by the time I apply for R1 next year. My biggest concern was my GMAT score, as it does put some of my dream schools, a little out of reach. Do you think I should still take a shot at these - Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck? Any other schools apart from the ones that I have mentioned that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I think you should still give it a shot at your three dream schools if you really want to go to these schools. Your GMAT score is not that far off. But you just have to be really clear about your career vision, and how MBA at these school can help you achieve your professional goal, and how you can contribute.

The list of 6 schools are good.

Good luck!

Christine

solerenegade wrote:
MarvelAdmissions wrote:

Thank you.

Christine Lin

Ah! So I bumped into a fellow ToastMaster! Brilliant! :) Thank you so much Christine, for taking out time for this and giving a prompt reply.

I have a decent amount of international exposure- close to 12 months of my WE has been out of India. I am pretty sue that a few more months would be added by the time I apply for R1 next year. My biggest concern was my GMAT score, as it does put some of my dream schools, a little out of reach. Do you think I should still take a shot at these - Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck? Any other schools apart from the ones that I have mentioned that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I seek an evaluation for my profile:

Background: Indian male, IT industry (I am expecting an indistinct 'tsch' in your head at this point ;) ), 28 years

Professional Exp: 5 years of service in the IT industry. Career progression from an engineer to senior engineer to an analyst. Onsite experience of 2 years and a couple of big(read much-sought) client honors and awards.

Education: BTech from a fairly-decent Indian university with a 6.1/10 GPA. No frills here.

Extra Curricular: Founding member of college music society and the lead vocalist of the band. Decent share of winning LAN gaming tournaments.

GMAT: 670 (Q48/V35). Again, no frills here :)

Career Goals: Since I have worked for an insurance major in the past five years, I can relate to working in this field post my MBA.

I understand this is an average profile, specially given the demographics. I plan to apply in:
Competitive: McCombs, Kelley, Kenan Flagler, Olin, Fisher
Safe: Smeal, Krannert
I also intend to apply in the MILR program of Cornell, though I have no justifiable reasons why.

Kindly, give your honest feedback, or suggest accordingly :)

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Perturbedspirit!

Not everyone can say they're the lead vocalist of a band :) That is great that you have an interest and presumably talent for music.

What about the MILR program interests you? If it is Cornell, then perhaps consider its MBA program also.

I would suggest you give some thoughts to your long term career goal if you haven't already, and also research post-MBA career options to find areas that interest you.

Other important elements that impact your candidacy are clarity of career objective, leadership capabilities/soft skills, and how well you present yourself in the essays.

Good luck!

Christine

perturbedspirit wrote:
I seek an evaluation for my profile:

Background: Indian male, IT industry (I am expecting an indistinct 'tsch' in your head at this point ;) ), 28 years

Professional Exp: 5 years of service in the IT industry. Career progression from an engineer to senior engineer to an analyst. Onsite experience of 2 years and a couple of big(read much-sought) client honors and awards.

Education: BTech from a fairly-decent Indian university with a 6.1/10 GPA. No frills here.

Extra Curricular: Founding member of college music society and the lead vocalist of the band. Decent share of winning LAN gaming tournaments.

GMAT: 670 (Q48/V35). Again, no frills here :)

Career Goals: Since I have worked for an insurance major in the past five years, I can relate to working in this field post my MBA.

I understand this is an average profile, specially given the demographics. I plan to apply in:
Competitive: McCombs, Kelley, Kenan Flagler, Olin, Fisher
Safe: Smeal, Krannert
I also intend to apply in the MILR program of Cornell, though I have no justifiable reasons why.

Kindly, give your honest feedback, or suggest accordingly :)

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
Send PM
Hi

Could you pls suggest some ambitious, possible and safe schools for my profile

Gmat -690
Toefl - 109
Acads - ok abt 3.3 gpa

Work exp - Overall 3.5 yrs ...a bit more than 4 by the time I start in 2013
Manufacturing
Worked in the Family Manufacturing business for abt 11 months
Responsibilities
• Lead a team of 10 people that ensured on-time product delivery, generating 15% more revenue for us, above average operating margins, and leading to three subsequent major contracts
• Co-ordinate with the clients to ascertain their expectations from the product
• Manage the supply-chain to make sure raw materials were received on time
• Generate cumulative and quarterly reports to quantify and monitor performance
Achievements
• Optimized the supply chain to receive all raw-material from single vendor, which saved 10% of the money spent
• Implemented an “On-site Maintenance” trend, which became the business’s USP

IT Quality Assuarance (Not a typical coder..but a domain related job)
Worked as a QA (Tester) for the brokerage application. Learnt a lot abt brokerage and different financial instruments

Responsibilities
• Work as a QA Lead/QA Engineer for the Brokerage application of Fidelity Investments
• Understand and Analyze requirements from SDS/ Stories
• Contribute to project planning by preparing a Test plan
• Create and executed test cases to demonstrate the functional quality of application
• Conduct peer to peer test case review to adhere to the quality standards
• Create a weekly project status report
Achievements
• Created a historical data and defect tracker sheet, which helped in the successful delivery of projects and reduced project back-outs by at least 20%
• Created a Macro which helped with test case creation and reduced time and efforts by 20%
• Suggested new opportunities for business growth, which were highly appreciated and could soon, be implemented
• Conducted Knowledge transfer sessions for the new entrants to the project

HONORS & AWARDS
• Certified “ISTQB” Quality Assurance Engineer
• Awarded “Achiever of the Quarter” for my performance in IPO enhancement project
• Awarded “Most valuable person” by Fidelity for my performance in ATP project
• Awarded “Pat on Back” award for my performance in Fidelity SPS project
• Received a rating of 4 (highest & only 10% of 26000 people receive this) during first annual appraisal cycle

OTHER INTERESTS/ACTIVITIES
• Represented college at State level Football tournaments
• A regular participant in the Standard Chartered organized Marathon held every year to raise funds for charity
• Volunteered at an Orphanage, to teach the basics of computers to children and also volunteered at an old age home.
• Led many events and “Infrastructure team” during college festivals and technical festivals.

Short term Goal :Management consultant
Long term: Entrepreneur

Please evaluate my profile!! Thank you for your help
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Kudos on making some great, quantifiable improvements to the family business.

What type of management consulting would you like to do? You may want to leverage your industry and functional experience.

You can refer to this list for GMAT and GPA info to select a short-list of schools, and then research consulting recruiting and entrepreneurship curriculum at the schools. You may also want to think about your preference for class size and location.

https://business-schools.findthebest.com/

Good luck!

Christine Lin

pratb wrote:
Hi

Gmat -690
Toefl - 109
Acads - ok abt 3.3 gpa

Manufacturing
Responsibilities
• Lead a team of 10 people that ensured on-time product delivery, generating 15% more revenue for us, above average operating margins, and leading to three subsequent major contracts
Achievements
• Optimized the supply chain to receive all raw-material from single vendor, which saved 10% of the money spent

Worked as a QA (Tester) for the brokerage application. Learnt a lot abt brokerage and different financial instruments

Responsibilities
• Work as a QA Lead/QA Engineer for the Brokerage application of Fidelity Investments
• Create and executed test cases to demonstrate the functional quality of application
Achievements
• Created a historical data and defect tracker sheet, which helped in the successful delivery of projects and reduced project back-outs by at least 20%
• Created a Macro which helped with test case creation and reduced time and efforts by 20%
• Suggested new opportunities for business growth, which were highly appreciated and could soon, be implemented

HONORS & AWARDS
• Awarded “Achiever of the Quarter” for my performance in IPO enhancement project
• Received a rating of 4 (highest & only 10% of 26000 people receive this) during first annual appraisal cycle

• A regular participant in the Standard Chartered organized Marathon held every year to raise funds for charity
• Volunteered at an Orphanage, to teach the basics of computers to children and also volunteered at an old age home.
• Led many events and “Infrastructure team” during college festivals and technical festivals.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

It sounds like you have some impressive accomplishments. If Stanford is your dream, then go for it! I wouldn't worry too much about official leadership title if you've actually led projects and shown progression through promotions.

The Stanford essay questions may seem daunting, but I think these are important questions to answer. There is tremendous power in clarifying/knowing what it is you really want to accomplish in life. So regardless of the outcome, you will benefit from the excercise if you put in the effort. Jeff Weinter, CEO of LinkedIn mentioned in a recent interview that the moment you know what your goal is, you begin to manifest it. You achieve your goal explicitly by knowing it and then pursuing it, and you achieve your goal implicitly by how you talk, think, and the things you say to others and the people and opportunities you attract to yourself.

It seems like you have some interesting career goals in mind. Good luck!

Christine Lin

redchica wrote:
Hello Admissions Consultants

I wanted to gauge whether or not people think I should apply to Stanford GSB Round 2. I know it is difficult to determine admissions prospects based on limited information, but I wanted to gauge whether or not my profile and general story would be interesting enough to warrant a serious consideration. I have already applied to many top 10 business schools and received interview invites and now debating on whether or not to spend 50+ hours on the Stanford Round 2 app.

First the demographic information

GMAT: 740 (fairly even breakdown between quant and verbal)
GPA: 3.8 in Accounting and Finance (top 50ish private university, attended on full tuition merit scholarship)
WE: 3 years at prestigious financial institution (think Goldman Sachs- D.E. Shaw group) in client facing role (not I banking though)- Promoted twice, lead numerous international projects (but do not have direct reports) and tons of international client experience. During college, I helped develop ideas for a start up that raised 1+ million dollars.
-Asian Female, immigrated to country at age 16 without knowing English from Korea, (family is low income, lived in a lower income area)

Career goals: Short term, non-profit management consulting (Bridgespan type firm), long term to entrepreneurship (have a very specific type of idea/industry that my background supports that I would prefer not to divulge here)

However, I am concerned about my weaknesses
-No leadership title at my job (my company, most people are not managing others in an official "title" capacity until they have 5+ years experience)
-lower than average volunteer experience- I feel that everyone I know that got into Stanford worked in the Peace Corps, Teach for America or worked on large scale volunteer projects. I work about 12+ hours daily, and only involved in small volunteer activities on the weekend (mentoring program for immigrant high school students)
-feel work experience is too traditional and goals are too traditional (want to move from finance to consulting)
-No alumni recommendations (someone mentioned that this is important for Stanford)
-Not from an IVY league school like everyone else at my company who gets into GSB

What would your hunch be? Do you think that based on the information provided, I should focus on one particular area in my application and or how I should address my weaknesses? They say online Stanford Round 2 is much more competitive, which is discouraging.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi SayNYC,

Don't feel discouraged. HBS Dean Nitin Nohria was rejected from Harvard Business School when he applied, so he went to MIT, and look where he is at now!

You should still consider Wharton, CBS, and Booth, and you may want to look at Haas and Anderson as well.

In terms of leaderships, perhaps you can think of examples of showing high emotional intelligence, and how you influence others w out formal authority. Here's a framework that may trigger some thoughts.

https://hbr.org/2004/01/what-makes-a-leader/ar/1

Good luck!

Christine Lin

SAYNYC wrote:
Hi All,

Here are my stats. Any comments, suggestions, or help would be very much appreciated. After HBS & GSB (expected next week) Round 1 dings, I'm re-evaluating my Round 2 chances and personal expectations. Not sure if I should remain hopeful for other top-10 programs like Wharton, CBS, Booth, or aim a little lower (top-20). Sorry for the length. I'm partly using this as an exercise in self-reflection.

Male
29 Year Old
Mexican American
First in Family to College
Living in New York City
730 GMAT (V44, Q47)

Education
HYP Ivy - B.A. Architecture with Distinction
3.4 GPA (Overall) 3.8 GPA (Major)

HYP Ivy - Master of Architecture (3-Yr Professional Program)
Pass/Low-Pass/Fail grading- received all Passes

Major Extracurriculars
Appointed Teaching Fellow for 3 Courses in Graduate School
Appointed Teaching Assistant for 1 Course in Graduate School
A few other minor leadership positions for clubs, publications.

Accreditation
Licensed Architect in NY State (Required 5600 internship hours post-Masters degree, and passing 7 separate State Exams)
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson in NY State (Required 75-hr course, and passing State Exam)

Work Experience
2-years at Large International Architecture Firm, working on massive developments in China (2mil SF+)
1.5-years at Boutique Architecture/Development Firm focused on NYC high-end Condo Development
.5 (Current) Founded Real Estate Development Startup and have become Real Estate Agent

Goal
To transition from architecture to real estate development. Post-MBA, would like to be at a large, multinational Real Estate Development/Investment/Management company, or at an IB in the Real Estate division.

Main Weaknesses
Work Experience
A) Early-career architecture experience is essentially an apprenticeship, with few opportunities for significant leadership or responsibility. Your only choice is often to simply take orders from those with 10+ more years of experience, while jumping from project to project. I worry much of this will be perceived poorly when juxtaposed to more traditional pre-MBA job experience where there is typically opportunity for growth & promotions and quantifiable means of measurement (sold X amount, led X teammates, analyzed X, etc). Any of my supervisors would give me the highest performance marks; this just doesn't translate to significant promotion within firms.

B) Previous job ended in a layoff (not performance based; office lost a few projects).

C) Currently working on own Real Estate company startup with the intention of starting a few projects soon. Have also become a RE Agent. This career direction had been my intention (I incorporated Jan '12) but the timing of the unexpected layoff makes it seem like a euphemism for being 'unemployed'. When attempting a startup, not sure how much adcom committees expect in the form of tangible accomplishments.

Quantitative Performance
Have a very dismal C+ in Calc and C- in another math course during my sophomore year of undergrad (a whole 10-yrs ago now), and nearly no other Quant courses on my transcript. I was overly focused on my architecture major, and simply didn't give much effort on many of my other courses that year. Since then, I have a B+ in Physics, a B+ in Structures (Statics), and a 'Pass' in the graduate level Structures II. Additionally, I passed the NY State 'Structures' exam required for licensure.
I'm fully aware I'd have to take 'math camp' prior to enrolling at any school, but wonder if some of this past quant performance is the weakest link in my application, only remedied by a good performance in some kind of Continuing Education Stat or Econ class prior to applying.

Essays
I did not use the optional essays to confront these weaknesses, and now realize that I should have. Would definitely do this in future applications.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
Send PM
Hey Christine

Thanks for your help. I know that Gmat and GPA and wrk exp are not the only criteria. Are the average Gmat scores for schools higher for Indian applicants.
Can you pls suggest some schools for my profile

I want to specialize in Finance or Strategy
Can I target any of the Top 20 schools? Would they be possible with my profile and score?

Which would be possible universities for me?

Thanks for your help!!

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

What type of management consulting would you like to do? You may want to leverage your industry and functional experience.

You can refer to this list for GMAT and GPA info to select a short-list of schools, and then research consulting recruiting and entrepreneurship curriculum at the schools. You may also want to consider preference for class size and location.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

pratb wrote:
Hi

Gmat -690
Toefl - 109
Acads - ok abt 3.3 gpa

Manufacturing
Responsibilities
Achievements

Responsibilities
Achievements

HONORS & AWARDS

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Without talking to you, we really don't have enough info to make a quality recommendation on school selection.

We provide school selection as part of our service, and we do so by getting to know you to understand your leadership capabilities and other skills, as well as motivation for your career goals.

Please feel free to send me your info, and we can schedule a time to talk. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Your ability to put together quality essays could also make a difference. You may have a chance at top 20 schools.

Speak to you soon!

Christine Lin

pratb wrote:
Hey Christine

Thanks for your help. I know that Gmat and GPA and wrk exp are not the only criteria. Are the average Gmat scores for schools higher for Indian applicants.
Can you pls suggest some schools for my profile

I want to specialize in Finance or Strategy
Can I target any of the Top 20 schools? Would they be possible with my profile and score?

Which would be possible universities for me?

Thanks for your help!!

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

You can refer to this list for GMAT and GPA info to select a short-list of schools, and then research consulting recruiting and entrepreneurship curriculum at the schools. You may also want to consider preference for class size and location.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

pratb wrote:
Hi

Gmat -690
Toefl - 109
Acads - ok abt 3.3 gpa

Manufacturing
Responsibilities
Achievements

Responsibilities
Achievements

HONORS & AWARDS

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Alex,

I like your sense of purpose and drive. You obviously have found your passion and talent in marketing. The high GMAT score & high grad school GPA should help offset your low undergrad GPA a bit. You may want to use the optional essay to explain the low GPA, and that you couldn't change major at the university in China.

I would recommend just going for it this year and give it your best shot. Make sure you are putting together the best possible applications, so if you can't complete all 5 schools in R2, perhaps apply to some of the schools in R3.

We've worked with applicants who were successfully admitted to top business schools despite low GPA, and some even received prestigious fellowship/scholarship awards.

I would be happy to offer you a complimentary consultation if you are interested in getting help. Just send me your info, and we can schedule a time to talk. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/
Good luck!

Christine Lin

sm0421 wrote:
Hi All,

I'd like to ask some guidance on my profile, what's my chance of getting admitted?

Schools Interested:
HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Columbia (only interested in going full-time to these schools if I'm admitted)

Profile: I've been in the US since 2007 for my MS in Marketing.

work:
2yrs: automotive retail dealer/digital marketing, Boston
1yr: top-3 automotive European tire company, digital marketing, NYC
2yrs(at time of Fall,13): top-1 US trucking company, digital marketing, Philly.
Goal: I want to be a successful marketing/product person in the automotive manufacturing industry.
all mid-level manager positions, always go above and beyond, consistently promoted, excellent reference from everyone/supervisors/partners.

academics:
GMAT (new): 770
MS in Marketing Analytics, Bentley University, Boston. GPA: 3.78, 1/20 in class, interned at Microsoft and Mazda.
BS in Civil Engineering, Top Engineering shool, China. GPA: 2.3 (I hated physics and there is no way to change major, barely made it)
Excellent reference from professors in Graduate School.

leadership:
managing advertising agency.
Leader in climbing/hiking group, I climbed the highest mountain in each of the 48 states in the US, tons of volunteers in outdoor organizations.

struggle:
I hated civil engineering and I love marketing and cars, I did my very best to change my fate by getting into a US school and studied what I wanted, I was the top student at Gradate school and had progressed well but I felt in many time without an ivy-league I simply cannot open doors to companies I want to work for. I've worked with many ivy-school people from Google/Mckinsey and felt myself a equal member to them. I'm concerned that my extremely low undergrad GPA/that I did follow the top-undergrade > 3-5 yrs top school formula are going to cost me a chance to go to my dream schools.

strength:
extremely persistent and passionate - I had a group of Google engineers working with us by mailing their Senior VPs.
clear career goal, good presenter.
I'm always looking to improve myself and do the best with what I've got.

1. what's my chance of getting admitted in one of the schools?
2. should I apply for R2 '13 or just wait for '14? I do not see any significant career advancement for me for working another year, but applying for R2'13 means I have only 1 month to get reference/essays done and I didn't want to rush it. I'll be 29 in '13 and I'm afraid 30 would be too old for B-schools by looking at their class profile (and I have visited a class at each school, impressed most by Stanford)

Thanks!
-Alex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Age 25, Male, Indian

Academic Details:

Xth Grade -83.2%
XIIth Grade - 85.4%
Electronics and Communication Engineering from one of the top 10 Engineering Colleges in India.
Top 10% of the batch , Percentage -76.4%
GMAT - 680 (Q49, V32 , AWA 5 , IR 8)

Work Experience:

2 years 5 months , Technical Sales Engineer: Field Sales Office.

As a technical Sales in one of the top Semiconductor company ,I handle and manage the top clients from Telecom, Industrial, Renewable Energy and Automotive domains . My primary responsibility is to drive revenue and develop sales strategy at these high potential clients.
Work involves understanding the client applications by both technically and commercially by working with the top management.
Recommending suitable semiconductor solutions by leveraging internal applications and systems teams.
Other key functions of my job are Channel Management, Revenue forecasting and development of 'pricing strategies' based on market and competition analysis.
I have been able to generate a business pipeline of $1M since I joined the field sales role.

Also,worked in the US for 8 months in different product groups and conducted market research on upcoming technologies. The data was utilized by the strategic marketing team to affirm the market strategy.

Extra Curricular Activities:

- Chief organizer of the Literary events in the college cultural festival.
- Organized and represented my employer in technical training and workshop at my college.
- Mentored new hires.

MBA Goal :

My immediate goal is to transition to a Product Marketing role in technology company. Long term goal is to get into strategic marketing.
A school strong in technology marketing courses and having a good alumni network in the hi-tech product/ renewable energy companies would be suited for my needs.

Target Schools are :

1) Kellogg
2) Haas
3) UCLA
4) Tepper
5) Tuck
6) NUS

I believe a relatively low GMAT score and a slightly less work-ex and no volunteer activities can hinder my chances for admission at top B schools this year. Would want to hear your views and other recommended B-Schools that I can apply to.

Also, would love to hear your views on what can make my profile stronger for these schools if I choose to apply next year.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15