Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.38
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: 2013 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink]
Thank you for the thread!

I am very interested in the program and have been reading some materials already. I have a question regarding applying / decision gates. As I'm planning to apply to LGO this year, but I also consider 2 other schools (although LGO is at the top of my list now). I would like to apply to those schools as early as possible to get all the advantages of early application.

However, if accepted to these institutions, I will need to make my choice before decision release at MIT... This is the question to those who applied already, did you apply to all your B-schools at Round 2 or somehow managed to do it in Round 1?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Another question - regarding the Engineering background. What are the requirements (degree / working experience in the field / etc.)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
April,

I'm glad to see about your interest in the program. For what it's worth, all of my applications were round 2 as I recall with maybe the exception of a program or two with commit dates after the LGO decision. LGO was my number one choice, so I based my application schedule around it.

As far as the engineering background, take a look at this link: https://lgo.mit.edu/apply/qualifications/

More directly, two years working experience and an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering, computer science, biology, chemistry, or physics are required. Of course, exceptions are possible. This year we have an applied math and an architecture undergrad degree both represented. I hope this helps. Good luck with your applications!

-Robbie
LGO Fellow, Class of 2014
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I guess this programme excludes all those without a US Work Permit then.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello TDFDSFAS,

The short answer is no. Take a look at my comment from August 1 on this thread. Let me know if that doesn't clear things up.

-Robbie
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q790 V760
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Aprill wrote:
Thank you for the thread!

I am very interested in the program and have been reading some materials already. I have a question regarding applying / decision gates. As I'm planning to apply to LGO this year, but I also consider 2 other schools (although LGO is at the top of my list now). I would like to apply to those schools as early as possible to get all the advantages of early application.

However, if accepted to these institutions, I will need to make my choice before decision release at MIT... This is the question to those who applied already, did you apply to all your B-schools at Round 2 or somehow managed to do it in Round 1?

Hi Aprill-

Like Robbie and Dave, I'm also an LGO, class of 2014. Glad you are interested in the program and happy to answer any other questions you may have! Last fall, I had the same question regarding application rounds for other schools and I decided to apply Round 1 to three other schools -- agree that it is somewhat frustrating that the LGO decision is given after deposits are due! However, I was able to contact the other schools in February and explain that I was waiting for an additional decision, and they were willing to extend the deposit deadline. I'm not sure this will work for all schools, but in my experience, they were willing to be flexible, so I wouldn't be afraid of applying round 1 and still applying to LGO.

Best,

JS
Leaders for Global Operations Fellow, Class of 2014
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I am contemplating applying to LGO focusing on ESD and I'm struggling to decide whether to forgo applying Round 1 Sloan only or whether to wait and apply for LGO. Based on the class size (and notably smaller availability for this cycle), it seems Round 2 will be much more competitive than previous years. Even the LGO Ambassador Day is after many other school's Round 1 application deadlines. What a pickle!

Is anyone in this thread doing their dual degree in ESD or able to connect me with someone who is? Would really appreciate the chance to connect with someone ahead of time to get a better feel for ESD and LGO as a whole.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
My GPA is 3.6
I am from India and i have completed my engineering in Mechanical Egg
During this i had have done two internships of 6 months.
currently i am working as a management trainee in Operations department.I am planning to pursue MBA or dual degree course in operation research.
So what is chance for me to get in for this course and for it how much GMAT score will I need?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stupandaus,

I don't think I have a good answer for you about when to apply. That was a tough decision I had to make, too. In the end, I decided that the LGO program was absolutely worth waiting to apply. I'm also not in the ESD program, but this link may help:

https://lgo.mit.edu/apply/ask-a-student/

Several students are profiled there along with their email addresses. Anyone listed there would be willing to help with information and insights about the ESD program.

-Robbie
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nikhil2012,

I'm not affiliated with the admissions office here, so any guess I would have about the competitiveness of your application would be just that....a guess. You may want to look at this forum and the ones from previous years to see how other people's GMAT scores, GPAs, etc look. But in the end, if you are interested in the program, I would encourage you to just go ahead and apply. The scores don't tell the whole story of an application. By just looking at those scores, you may get a bit of skewed view of your chances of acceptance.

-Robbie
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q790 V760
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
For all of you considering applying to LGO, one great way to learn more about the program is to attend Ambassador Day on November 5th. You get the opportunity to meet current students, meet faculty, ask questions, attend a class, tour MIT, and much more.

One of my classmates wrote a blog about Ambassador Day, which I recommend for more information:
https://supplyjaneoperations.blogspot.co ... r-5th.html

JS
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If I will only be working 1 year full time post graduation but have been working at the same place throughout my entire degree almost full time. Do I pass the two year full time job requirement?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, future MBA candidates!

Jane Deutsch, the Director of Admissions and Career Development for LGO, has posted a blog that I think you might find useful. It addresses several of the questions you might have about the application. Take a look!

https://lgo.mit.edu/news/articles/lgo-application-faqs/lgo-application-faqs.html

Good luck with your apps,
Robbie
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
How is the technical recommendation letter distinguished? From reading the websites and from the web chat yesterday, my interpretation is that the technical letter does not have a format or list of questions, so it's rather free-form... is that right?

How would I designate which one of my recommendations letters is the technical letter?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey redpringles,

When you put your recommenders into the application site, it sends them the email form to fill out. It's really more of a questionnaire with some "essay" questions instead of a traditional letter. If I recall correctly, there wasn't really much difference between the regular recommendations and the technical one. I believe they all got the same email form. The admissions office just wants one of them to be someone who can speak to your technical skills, since this information will be used by the engineering school as well as Sloan. Again, relying on my memory, I had my manager serve as my technical recommendation and mentioned that to him so he would shape his answers accordingly.

If you aren't sure about it, I'd suggest contacting the program office. They are always friendly and willing to help.

Good luck!
Robbie
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everybody,

Since applications are due in a week, I wanted to post this video that our Director of Admissions made about applications.

https://techtv.mit.edu/collections/lgo/videos/21883-writing-a-successful-lgo-application

I hope this helps!

Good luck,
Robbie
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I am an aerospace engineer from India and I am in the process of preparing my application for the LGO program. Can anyone answer the following questions for me?

1. I am interested in the Engineering Systems track. If I go for it, can I still choose one or two classes from the Aerospace Engineering department as electives?
2. Which are the current sponsor companies that recruit international applicants?
3. Do companies like Boeing, Raytheon, UTC have security requirements which prevent them from hiring international applicants?

Thanks,
Rohan
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts