Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2527 [27]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5424 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Re: Professor Smith published a paper arguing that a chemical found in min [#permalink]
IMO A.

(A) The author passes over the possibility that Professor Smith had much to gain should Professor Smith’s discovery have found general acceptance.
[Looks close contender. It is touching the threat to the scientists. Professor would be selected for patents, noble prize...]

(B) The author fails to mention whether or not Professor Smith knew that the existence of the alleged new effect was incompatible with established scientific theory. [Professor argued in his paper. So, this choice is ruled out]

(C) The author fails to show why the other scientists could not have been presenting evidence in order to establish the truth of the matter.
[I didnt find this choice convincing as no indication is given above on the truth of the matter. I second what Sidhus said. Other scientists did published papers to prove him wrong. Incorrect]

(D) The author neglects to clarify what his or her relationship to Professor Smith is.
[Out of scope]

(E) The author fails to indicate what, if any, effect the publication of Professor Smith’s paper had on the public’s confidence in the safety of most drinking water.
[This looks a SHELL GAME Fallacy. Out of scope]
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: Professor Smith published a paper arguing that a chemical found in min [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Siddus,

The issue isn't that there isn't proof that they published papers against it. The conclusion is that the REASON they published those papers was because they were threatened and trying to discredit it. That's why the answer is C, which suggests that maybe they published the paper because they honestly disagreed, rather than because they had nefarious motives. : )

-tommy
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Chemical in drinking water [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Should be C

I find A,B,D, and E to be simply irrelevant to the argument - was the scientific establishment threatened by Professor Smith's work and so did it work to conspire against him?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
No doubt you scored a 780 on the real thing.
But can you explain what does the answer choice A actually means by saying "..passes over the possibility".

If somehow had an answer choice been something like this:
"Professor Smith will gain huge advantage if his paper were published", then could this have been the correct answer? I guess it explains why the other researchers and scientists should conspire against him.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM