Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Requesting A Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Indian Male

Work Experience : 27 Months as on 1st December 2012 in a HVAC Contracting Company which is one of the top 3 companies in the field in India.

Responsibilities : Procurement Engineer - Involves technical as well as commercial responsibilities.

GMAT Score:
Quants : 49, Verbal : 42, Overall : 740 (AWA & IR still awaited. Expect to get a good score in AWA. Not so much in IR. Hopefully not worse than a 4)

Undergrad Info:
B.E in Mechanical Engineering with 70% from Anna University (Non IIT Indian University - State Owned)

Extra-Curricular
Was part of the school soccer team and regular in the school athletic meet winning several medals in the intra school sports meets. Although I doubt if that would amount to anything.
Community service is also 0. I have been instrumental in getting roads laid in my area but do not have any proof. To sum it up, I think this would be what would hurt my profile most.
Have received appraisal letters from my management for good performance which I hope could stand for something.

Target Programs
HKUST
ISB
NUS

I would also like to know whether Wharton, Yale and IMD would be too much of a stretch.

Thanks in advance. :)

You're welcome!

Your academic stats are competitive at your target programs, however your relative lack of experience is an issue that may derail your acceptance chances this year at all your target programs. The good news is that time will take care of the "weakness" if you don't get in this year.

You might be interested in Advice for Younger MBA Applicants..

Best,
Linda

Thanks for your reply... Could you please suggest some schools (US or Asia) in which my profile would be competitive... :)

What do you want to do after your MBA?

Linda
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Linda,

I would like to work in an MNC at a management job (logistics and supply chain management) (preferably a mechanical engineering related company) and eventually set up my own business later... :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for your reply... Could you please suggest some schools (US or Asia) in which my profile would be competitive... :)[/quote]

What do you want to do after your MBA?
MacFauz wrote:
Hello Linda,

I would like to work in an MNC at a management job (logistics and supply chain management) (preferably a mechanical engineering related company) and eventually set up my own business later... :)

Linda[/quote]

I think you should really check out CMU Tepper. Also look into Cornell, Penn State, Indiana Kelley, Notre Dame, and Purdue. In Europe, consider ESMT and IMD, but again, if you wait a couple of years your chances at both these programs would improve tremendously.

Best,
Linda
VP
VP
Send PM
I also have a follow up question... I was quite caught up with work and was not able to prepare my SOP. So applying in R2 is definitely out of the question.. Is it true that foreign applicants to US schools are seriously disadvantaged if applying in R3??
Send PM
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
I also have a follow up question... I was quite caught up with work and was not able to prepare my SOP. So applying in R2 is definitely out of the question.. Is it true that foreign applicants to US schools are seriously disadvantaged if applying in R3??

R3 applications in general have lower acceptance rates. And it generally that much harder for applicants from large cohorts in the applicant pool like Indian male engineers. At the same time, all schools do admit some applicants in the 3rd round.

Best,
Linda
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Linda.,

It has been a couple of months since I first asked for your help... I guess a few things have changed since then... I am editing my profile and adding a few things which I previously considered insignificant (I still do but I guess it is better than nothing) and also I am adding some background on my work experience... I would like to have a fresh evaluation.... Hope you can excuse the length of the post.. Thanks in advvance.. :)

Indian Male

Work Experience : 30 Months as on 1st March 2013 in a HVAC Contracting Company which is one of the top 3 companies in the field in India.

Responsibilities :
Position : Graduate Engineer Trainee - Projects (2 months) : Joined the company as a trainee and was assigned to the project team (2 months). (I had asked to be in a more techno-commercial department such as Sales & Estimation or Procurement but there were no positions availalble)
Position : Graduate Engineer Trainee - Procurement (10 months) : Was shifted to the procurement team after 2 months (Fortunately for me, a colleague had left to pursue a job in the middle east). As a trainee I used to finalzie orders and organize material delivery for material of small value (value of individual orders typically not exceeding $2000) and also played a part in finalization of higher value orders.
Position : Procurement Engineer - Chennai Branch (12 months) : Increased resposibilities. Purchase of more technologically complex equipment with individual order values at times exceeding $200,000)
Position : Procurement Engineer - Chennai & All India (6 months) : In addition to Chennai Purchase responsibilities, the responsibilities for All India Central Purchase Division were also given to me. New responsibilities include co-ordinating with different branches for optimizing procurement of similar material (larger quantities demand better discounts), providing price feedback and maintaining uniformity in order terms and conditions.

My major concern here is that I have not held any leadership postions per se. Even my most recent responsibilities only include co-ordination rather than leading a team. I would like to know whetehr this would be a major drawback.

GMAT Score:
Quants : 49, Verbal : 42, Overall : 740 , AWA : 5.5, IR : 8

Undergrad Info:
B.E in Mechanical Engineering with 70% from Anna University (Non IIT Indian University - State Owned).
Converted by $5 WES service : 3.8
Anna University is often ranked in the top 10 or at worst top 15 technical institutions in India. I had my scores converted to the 4 point scale by the World Education Services website (which cost $5, so I am skeptical of the result)

Extra-Curricular
Was part of the school soccer team and regular in the school athletic meet winning several medals in the intra school sports meets. Although I doubt if that would amount to anything.
I do have some work that may be considered as community service. i.e The result might have benefited the community but the intent was more personal.
Have been instrumental in getting roads laid in my area but do not have any proof. To sum it up, I think this would be what would hurt my profile most.
Trying to organize an effective waste management system in my hometown (a coastal fishing village. People are dumping their garbage in the sea and unfortunately quite close to the shore and huge mounds of garbage have washed up on the beaches). Nothing is yet to be implemented.
Started and run a canteen at my undergraduate institution. Employs 4 people whom I knew were unemployed at the time. On completing my undergraduate course, I completely handed over the canteen to the most senior of the employees. I took income from the canteen until my capital cost was covered but on the risk of sounding like a jerk I should say I have not gained any income for my efforts. So , I might consider it to be a sort of service to the community.
I was also the person in charge of buying equipment and setting up a small sports club in my community. Albeit very small. A couple of pong and foosball tables, a snooker table and a Volleyball court.
Have received appraisal letters from my management for good performance which I hope could stand for something.

Others
I had taken a course in leadership skills & public speaking 6 years back - Certified - but only by a local private organization 6 years old
I am also a certified process quality assurance internal auditor - Every year before the external ISO audit of we have an internal audit of work processes the team of which I am a part of.

What I Want To Do

In the long run I see myself in one of two positions i) The owner of my own company i.e Entrepreneur or ii) A high level managerial postion (Director or CEO) at a company (manufacturing and engineering services) owned by my extended family.

I believe the best way to train myself for either situations would be to be a management consultant. So, my first preference would be to get a job as a management consultant and a second preference would be to work at a manufacturing company.

This is the best quality dough I have and the quality of the cakes I can make with this dough as I understand is substantially limited by the dough's quality. Could you please suggest some schools in which I have a realistic chance and which would serve my requirements best. Sorry again for the extremely long post. Thank you for your time..
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
Hi Linda.,

It has been a couple of months since I first asked for your help... I guess a few things have changed since then... I am editing my profile and adding a few things which I previously considered insignificant (I still do but I guess it is better than nothing) and also I am adding some background on my work experience... I would like to have a fresh evaluation.... Hope you can excuse the length of the post.. Thanks in advvance.. :)

Indian Male

Work Experience : 30 Months as on 1st March 2013 in a HVAC Contracting Company which is one of the top 3 companies in the field in India.

Responsibilities :
Position : Graduate Engineer Trainee - Projects (2 months) : Joined the company as a trainee and was assigned to the project team (2 months). (I had asked to be in a more techno-commercial department such as Sales & Estimation or Procurement but there were no positions availalble)
Position : Graduate Engineer Trainee - Procurement (10 months) : Was shifted to the procurement team after 2 months (Fortunately for me, a colleague had left to pursue a job in the middle east). As a trainee I used to finalzie orders and organize material delivery for material of small value (value of individual orders typically not exceeding $2000) and also played a part in finalization of higher value orders.
Position : Procurement Engineer - Chennai Branch (12 months) : Increased resposibilities. Purchase of more technologically complex equipment with individual order values at times exceeding $200,000)
Position : Procurement Engineer - Chennai & All India (6 months) : In addition to Chennai Purchase responsibilities, the responsibilities for All India Central Purchase Division were also given to me. New responsibilities include co-ordinating with different branches for optimizing procurement of similar material (larger quantities demand better discounts), providing price feedback and maintaining uniformity in order terms and conditions.

My major concern here is that I have not held any leadership postions per se. Even my most recent responsibilities only include co-ordination rather than leading a team. I would like to know whetehr this would be a major drawback.

GMAT Score:

Undergrad Info:
B.E in Mechanical Engineering with 70% from Anna University (Non IIT Indian University - State Owned).
Anna University is often ranked in the top 10 or at worst top 15 technical institutions in India. I had my scores converted to the 4 point scale by the World Education Services website (which cost $5, so I am skeptical of the result)

Extra-Curricular
I do have some work that may be considered as community service. i.e The result might have benefited the community but the intent was more personal.
Have been instrumental in getting roads laid in my area but do not have any proof. To sum it up, I think this would be what would hurt my profile most.
Trying to organize an effective waste management system in my hometown (a coastal fishing village. People are dumping their garbage in the sea and unfortunately quite close to the shore and huge mounds of garbage have washed up on the beaches). Nothing is yet to be implemented.
Started and run a canteen at my undergraduate institution. Employs 4 people whom I knew were unemployed at the time. On completing my undergraduate course, I completely handed over the canteen to the most senior of the employees. I took income from the canteen until my capital cost was covered but on the risk of sounding like a jerk I should say I have not gained any income for my efforts. So , I might consider it to be a sort of service to the community.
I was also the person in charge of buying equipment and setting up a small sports club in my community. Albeit very small. A couple of pong and foosball tables, a snooker table and a Volleyball court.

Others
I had taken a course in leadership skills & public speaking 6 years back - Certified - but only by a local private organization 6 years old
I am also a certified process quality assurance internal auditor - Every year before the external ISO audit of we have an internal audit of work processes the team of which I am a part of.

What I Want To Do

In the long run I see myself in one of two positions i) The owner of my own company i.e Entrepreneur or ii) A high level managerial postion (Director or CEO) at a company (manufacturing and engineering services) owned by my extended family.

I believe the best way to train myself for either situations would be to be a management consultant. So, my first preference would be to get a job as a management consultant and a second preference would be to work at a manufacturing company.

This is the best quality dough I have and the quality of the cakes I can make with this dough as I understand is substantially limited by the dough's quality. Could you please suggest some schools in which I have a realistic chance and which would serve my requirements best. Sorry again for the extremely long post. Thank you for your time..

My assessment is pretty much the same. R3 is harder and you are young and relatively inexperienced for an MBA students. Your GMAT is excellent and your grades are strong, which will help you. If you want to apply R3, I would still recommend the same schools I recommended a few months ago. If you are willing to apply R1 and wait a year, I think your chances would go up dramatically and I would recommend applying again to CMU Tepper, to Cornell Johnson, Ross, UCLA, USC, Duke, and UT. You chances next year would also be better at HKUST, ISB, and NUS.

At the same time, if you want to try and apply now, the downside is your time and the application fees. If you are accepted, and you do have a chance, then you're one year ahead of the game. Just be realistic.

Best,
Linda
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Accepted.com wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Hi Linda.,

Indian Male

Responsibilities :

GMAT Score:

Undergrad Info:

Extra-Curricular

Others

What I Want To Do

My assessment is pretty much the same. R3 is harder and you are young and relatively inexperienced for an MBA students. Your GMAT is excellent and your grades are strong, which will help you. If you want to apply R3, I would still recommend the same schools I recommended a few months ago. If you are willing to apply R1 and wait a year, I think your chances would go up dramatically and I would recommend applying again to CMU Tepper, to Cornell Johnson, Ross, UCLA, USC, Duke, and UT. You chances next year would also be better at HKUST, ISB, and NUS.

At the same time, if you want to try and apply now, the downside is your time and the application fees. If you are accepted, and you do have a chance, then you're one year ahead of the game. Just be realistic.

Best,
Linda

Thank you for the evaluation Linda. I do not plan to apply in R3. BTW, I think your advice was spot on about CMU Tepper regarding fit. I really did like the school from everything I heard and read about it - Quant focussed, small class, good operations program, good placemet in MC, Pittsburgh and so on.. Infact, when I was writing my "Why Tepper is best for me" essay, I felt like I was just listing Tepper's features.. But unfortunately my application was in R2 and was a bit hurried.. I am yet to recieve any invite and I think it is game over in that regard.. So, I do not want to repeat the mistake and have decided to start my applications process early for 2014..
Thanks again.. I'd give a few more kudos for your advice if I could.. :):thumbup: :thumbup:
Send PM
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Hi Linda.,

Indian Male

Responsibilities :

GMAT Score:

Undergrad Info:

Extra-Curricular

Others

What I Want To Do

Best,
Linda

Thank you for the evaluation Linda. I do not plan to apply in R3. BTW, I think your advice was spot on about CMU Tepper regarding fit. I really did like the school from everything I heard and read about it - Quant focussed, small class, good operations program, good placemet in MC, Pittsburgh and so on.. Infact, when I was writing my "Why Tepper is best for me" essay, I felt like I was just listing Tepper's features.. But unfortunately my application was in R2 and was a bit hurried.. I am yet to recieve any invite and I think it is game over in that regard.. So, I do not want to repeat the mistake and have decided to start my applications process early for 2014..
Thanks again.. I'd give a few more kudos for your advice if I could.. :):thumbup: :thumbup:

You're most welcome. Thanks for the feedback. And the kudos. :-)
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello again Linda.,

I just have one more question.
I like CMU Tepper very much. If I apply again for next year, there wont be any significant difference in my profile. I will only have to work on the way I present it. (Now that I look back on it, my resume was horrible and did not mention each of my positions as promotions. Infact, my profile here looks better than my resume). Is it possible for me to just apply again as a fresh applicant or should I apply only as a reapplicant??
Send PM
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
Hello again Linda.,

I just have one more question.
I like CMU Tepper very much. If I apply again for next year, there wont be any significant difference in my profile. I will only have to work on the way I present it. (Now that I look back on it, my resume was horrible and did not mention each of my positions as promotions. Infact, my profile here looks better than my resume). Is it possible for me to just apply again as a fresh applicant or should I apply only as a reapplicant??

I think you can ask CMU Tepper if you can submit a full app. Some schools will say yes and some won't.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot