Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.36
WE:Research (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink]
Ding. Interview went badly, and the profile just doesn't cut it apparently. Oh well.

The ugliest thing will be to convey the message to all those people who had no doubt whatsoever, including a benevolent boss.

I hate the year 2012.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Waitlisted...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
LibertyBell wrote:

The ugliest thing will be to convey the message to all those people who had no doubt whatsoever, including a benevolent boss.

I agree! I sent the boss a pretty apologetic e-mail and have since been consoling loved ones who were so certain.

Congratulations to all the admits! Do make sure you make the world a better place :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V49
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
levanter wrote:
LibertyBell wrote:

I agree! I sent the boss a pretty apologetic e-mail and have since been consoling loved ones who were so certain.

Congratulations to all the admits! Do make sure you make the world a better place :)

:( You shouldn't feel the need to console others!

I wish everyone the best of luck in their pursuits (whether other schools or elsewise) -- this forum is awesome and I really do hope for the best for all of you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Interestingly, some people, whether to console me or because of conviction, blame the application process. That's where I always intervene, because Stanford in particular has been exceedingly friendly throughout, and if my CV or essays aren't good enough, it is nobody's fault but my own.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I’ve found that when someone tells me how sure they are I’m going to get into great school X, I thank them politely and then try to point out that only Y out of every 100 applicants are admitted. For Stanford, if you put 100 cream-of-the-crop b-school applicants in a room, 6 of them are admitted. That’s insane. I’m not trying to turn this into a pep talk, but you guys should be proud that you put yourself out there and took the shot. Much respect – you’ve got more (bigger?) cojones than I.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
LibertyBell wrote:
Interestingly, some people, whether to console me or because of conviction, blame the application process. That's where I always intervene, because Stanford in particular has been exceedingly friendly throughout, and if my CV or essays aren't good enough, it is nobody's fault but my own.

I would not take not getting in as a message that you weren't good enough to get into Stanford. The majority of applicants are good enough. It's not some science where there is one metric for who's the best and the top 6% get in. It's more nuanced than that.
I would wager that you're CV, scores, and essays are plenty good enough but maybe just not the right fit at this time. There will be people admitted to Stanford with a "better CV" but worse essays or similar CV and just a different background/life experience/future goal that Stanford was more drawn to. Different doesn't mean better. Just because a guy may prefer a blonde to a brunette doesn't make blondes better than brunettes. It just is what it is. You will go to a great school that does prefer what you bring to the table and that's all that matters.

Best wishes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [3]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
cheetarah1980 wrote:
LibertyBell wrote:

I would not take not getting in as a message that you weren't good enough to get into Stanford. The majority of applicants are good enough. It's not some science where there is one metric for who's the best and the top 6% get in. It's more nuanced than that.
I would wager that you're CV, scores, and essays are plenty good enough but maybe just not the right fit at this time. There will be people admitted to Stanford with a "better CV" but worse essays or similar CV and just a different background/life experience/future goal that Stanford was more drawn to. Different doesn't mean better. Just because a guy may prefer a blonde to a brunette doesn't make blondes better than brunettes. It just is what it is. You will go to a great school that does prefer what you bring to the table and that's all that matters.

Best wishes.

...Says the woman who crip walked into 3 top 5 programs last year ;)

That was one helluva "nuanced coincidence". The politically incorrect truth is that:

* While none of us should read too much into any single ding, there are reasons that some people get multiple offers from multiple top schools
* Some people will have a harder or easier road to go based on demographic
* Some people will have more information on what to do than others based on their existing network
* Some people's stories will be a hit even when their stats are blah
* All 4 of these are things that we can influence; yet, we cannot create magic without certain raw ingredients
* No one knows for certain what all those raw ingredients are, but we can look at people who have been successful in the past and interpolate rather reasonably.
* This process sucks
* Yet, it tends to be worth it for many
* Not so much for others
* It's a gamble either way
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Congrats to everyone who got in...and to everyone else who survived this long. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mbaover30 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
LibertyBell wrote:

Best wishes.

...Says the woman who crip walked into 3 top 5 programs last year ;)

That was one helluva "nuanced coincidence". The politically incorrect truth is that:

* While none of us should read too much into any single ding, there are reasons that some people get multiple offers from multiple top schools
* Some people will have a harder or easier road to go based on demographic
* Some people will have more information on what to do than others based on their existing network
* Some people's stories will be a hit even when their stats are blah
* All 4 of these are things that we can influence; yet, we cannot create magic without certain raw ingredients
* No one knows for certain what all those raw ingredients are, but we can look at people who have been successful in the past and interpolate rather reasonably.
* This process sucks
* Yet, it tends to be worth it for many
* Not so much for others
* It's a gamble either way

See that RED Stanford lit up on my school list. Stanford was completely immune to my charms and didn't even ask me to interview. That doesn't mean I'm not charming :lol:.

Liberty Bell at least piqued their interest so I just don't want her to feel like a ding from Stanford means she's at fault for not doing something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
jfm424 wrote:
got the call...can't believe it....wow

What a day...thanks for all the support guys!!

jfm, have you considered applying elsewhere? I would recommend that you seriously consider rejecting the offer and going elsewhere.
Your profile is too similar to mine and you could very well open up a spot for me off the waitlist... ;)
Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Ding :(

Congratulations to all the selected candidates :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Ding-a-ling.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.98
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Congrats to all the selected candidates !!

So sorry for those who have been rejected.
Most of you had strong profiles from what I see (gmat, gpa)
Any idea why the application was denied ? Did you guys use admission consultants ? Were they confident about your chances ? I am still trying to figure out what kind of profile they are looking to enroll...

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
4th recommendation letter.. What do you guys think about it? I have an extracurricular supervisor type in business that I think could really round out my technical background. On the GSB website it says that they discourage the 4th letter, but says it's okay to submit it (they say that it may hurt you and the adcom may not even read it). Any advice?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Admitted Sloanie (not full-time MBA)!

Haven't been able to sleep normally since getting the call on 12/21.

If there are any more of you newly minted Sloan Fellows out there, please respond on the Stanford Sloan Class of 2014 thread or on Facebook @Stanford-Sloan-2014

GMAT = 700 / 90%, V38, Q48, AW6, IR8
Graduate GPA (MS-IST) = 4.0
Undergrad GPA (BS Econ) = 3.1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Hey, I was wondering whether anyone could help out with a technical issue I'm facing in uploading my transcript. The application clearly states that only black and white copies of transcripts should be uploaded. I have a pdf version of my e-transcript which is black and white but has a maroon watermark. I'm wondering whether anyone is aware of any official communication/instruction from the AdComm regarding this. I searched the website extensively but couldn't find anything. I can't convert the pdf into black and white because it is secured and cannot be altered.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  54   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts