Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23849 [17]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [9]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [9]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: How many of the 60 cars sold last month by a certain dealer [#permalink]
Hi all. I am new to GmatClub and this is my first post ever. I just started preparations for the exams last week and I am targeting end-April for the exams. I seem to be able to get most of the questions on DS and Maths right without using elaborate equations and now I am worried. I have never liked equations plus English is my third language.

Must I learn to use all these esoteric equations to do well in Gmat? Call me crazy but my target is 770.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [4]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Also using a chart is pretty straight :)
Attachments

screenshot.2.png
screenshot.2.png [ 3.5 KiB | Viewed 24351 times ]

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
knightofdelta wrote:
Hi all. I am new to GmatClub and this is my first post ever. I just started preparations for the exams last week and I am targeting end-April for the exams. I seem to be able to get most of the questions on DS and Maths right without using elaborate equations and now I am worried. I have never liked equations plus English is my third language.

Must I learn to use all these esoteric equations to do well in Gmat? Call me crazy but my target is 770.

Posted from my mobile device

if you think right away that gmat need somehing of esoteric to solve......I think is wrong.

reasoning has nothing to do with the arcane ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
carcass wrote:
knightofdelta wrote:

if you think right away that gmat need somehing of esoteric to solve......I think is wrong.

reasoning has nothing to do with the arcane ;)

Thank you.

Now I can breathe easier.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
How many of the 60 cars sold last month by a certain dealer had neither power windows nor a stereo?

Given: 60={Windows}+{Stereo}-{Both}+{Neither}.
Question: {Neither}=?

(1) Of the 60 cars sold, 20 had a stereo but not power windows --> {Stereo}-{Both}=20 --> 60={Windows}+20+{Neither}. Not sufficient.

(2) Of the 60 cars sold, 30 had both power windows and a stereo --> {Both}=30. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We can find how many had stereo, but we still cannot get how many had neither power windows nor a stereo. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

I did this question using Venn diagrams rather than equations or matrix, is that a fine approach too considering i was able to solve it under 2 minutes?
Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dienekes wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
How many of the 60 cars sold last month by a certain dealer had neither power windows nor a stereo?

(1) Of the 60 cars sold, 20 had a stereo but not power windows --> {Stereo}-{Both}=20 --> 60={Windows}+20+{Neither}. Not sufficient.

(2) Of the 60 cars sold, 30 had both power windows and a stereo --> {Both}=30. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We can find how many had stereo, but we still cannot get how many had neither power windows nor a stereo. Not sufficient.

I did this question using Venn diagrams rather than equations or matrix, is that a fine approach too considering i was able to solve it under 2 minutes?
Thanks.

Absolutely. Choose whichever approach suits you best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM

Bunuel,
Can we not get the answer if we use Statement 1 & 2?

We know total for Stereo & No Stereo and we know the total for Power Windows and No Power Windows.
By taking the above information.. 30+x + 20 + x = 60 --> x=5 Plug in 5 and you have No Power Windows at 25. Which mean's the cars with No Stereo and Power Window is 5. Am I thinking too much into this question?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
roro555 wrote:

Bunuel,
Can we not get the answer if we use Statement 1 & 2?

We know total for Stereo & No Stereo and we know the total for Power Windows and No Power Windows.
By taking the above information.. 30+x + 20 + x = 60 --> x=5 Plug in 5 and you have No Power Windows at 25. Which mean's the cars with No Stereo and Power Window is 5. Am I thinking too much into this question?

Dear roro555

Please refer to the statement in red above. It is not correct.

To explain why, have represented the information we get from St 1 + 2 in a matrix.

Looking at this table, it's easy to see that

We know the total for Power Windows and No PW only in terms of X, the unknown value we had to find.

From this table, the only thing we can say for sure is that X lies between 0 and 10, inclusive. But since the question had asked us about a unique value of X, and we haven't been able to find one, the correct answer will be Option E.

Hope this helped! :)

Japinder
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Is the following approach correct???

We know that

T-N = A + B - k

1) 60-N= A+20 (since b-k is given as 20 ) therefore not sufficient

2) 60-N= A+B - 30 ( k=30 is given)
Therefore not sufficient

Combining 1 and 2

60-N= A+50-30 again not sufficient
Therefore answer is E

Is this approach correct?

Waiting for a response!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
How many of the 60 cars sold last month by a certain dealer [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Dienekes wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thanks.

Absolutely. Choose whichever approach suits you best.

hello bunuel,

I have encountered this problem today and I thought that the answer is C. please correct me if I am wrong. when checking both statements we have 4 different unknowns, I will presume that they are defined as a,b,c, and d. check the attached picture, we can derive 4 different equations. a+b=10 , b+d=20 , 30+a=c , c+d=60. I tried to solve them manually and the answer was a=10. I thought that maybe I missed something, and we know that the maximum number for a is 10, so I tried 9, which made c=39 and d=21, which is impossible. So the only value that a can take is actually 10. Am I missing something?
Attachments

11.jpg
11.jpg [ 15.18 KiB | Viewed 15016 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
How many of the 60 cars sold last month by a certain dealer had neithe [#permalink]

(1) Of the 60 cars sold, 20 had a stereo but not power windows.
(2) Of the 60 cars sold, 30 had both power windows and a stereo.

This is a simple question actually, but we all know that the gmat can trick us into believing that a hard question has a simple answer. The answer in the Official guide and in the forum is E. I am not convinced, I think that the actual answer is C, my explanation is below.

when checking both statements we have 4 different unknowns, I will presume that they are defined as a,b,c, and d. check the attached picture, we can derive 4 different equations. a+b=10 , b+d=20 , 30+a=c , c+d=60. I tried to solve them manually and the answer was a=10. I thought that maybe I missed something, and we know that the maximum number for a is 10, so I tried 9, which made c=39 and d=21, which is impossible because the maximum value of d+b is 20. So the only value that a can take is actually 10. C is the correct answer.
Attachments

11.jpg
11.jpg [ 15.18 KiB | Viewed 14984 times ]

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: How many of the 60 cars sold last month by a certain dealer had neithe [#permalink]
Kudos