Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Prudence wrote:
Hi everyone, I attended the Tuck reception in Bangalore and thought I'd share some pointers. Some of these may already be known to you:

1. EA invites are still coming out, geography no bar. This year, the EA volume is up by 30% and Allegra mentioned that the adcom is stressed out, trying to wrap up everything before the decision day. Her advice to applicants was to wait and not assume the worst.

(Personally, I feel that since they haven't finished reading the apps, you cannot assume that they've covered all apps from country X or Y. I don't think it is correct to assume that if you didn't get an invitation that coincided with a reception, you're scrood.)

2. As str1der previously mentioned, almost 60% of the class is decided from the EA and November rounds.

3. They don't care about multiple GMAT attempts, whether the scores trended up or down. Just have a good score(s) in one of them.

4. Allegra mentioned that she uses a + and - column while reviewing applications. So if your GMAT is low, like in the 500s or 600s, she would put that under the minus column. But this alone does not qualify for a ding. They look for other compensating strengths or evidence that you have worked on these weaknesses. One exception would be military candidates, who have either the GPA or GMAT low, but generally have great profiles. Tuck loves military candidates and recruiters love them too.

5. For those who applied in the November round, expect interview invites to come out 6 weeks from 11/7.

6. The one thing she stressed the most were the career goals. I think she talked about it at least 3 or 4 times. If your career goal is lofty, then Career Services steps in to determine whether they have the resources to place you in that role after your MBA. So it is very important that you state a strong case for your goals.

7. They don't expect Indian candidates to have stratospheric GMAT scores. It's just that they're so used to seeing these scores from India. They don't think 680-710 is bad at all. However they will be concerned if your verbal or quantitative score is low, or if your AWA is below 4.5.

Hope this helps!
Pru

Hey all --

Congrats to the future Tuckies if you were accepted and planning to attend!!

I was actually wondering if anyone applied the November round, and if you've received an interview invitation (if you haven't gone through the self-initiated interview of course). According to Prudence's post (thanks Pru!), the invitations would have been communicated some time this week. Would be great if you can update on that!

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: Tuck '16 (II)
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Got waitlisted. I'm from Chile and applied with a 690 GMAT.
I haven't applied to any other business schools since Tuck was my first option. I'm considering applying to other school on later rounds.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I'm trying to arrange my self-initiated on-campus interview, but I can't find a single flight+dartmouth coach combination that will allow me to both make my afternoon interview and catch the flight back to my home city. Wondering if I should ask for a skype interview instead or just wing it and hope that i get an invite.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Dood I would just wait for an invite to interview. I got dinged with a self initiated interview, and while I'm cool with it, you should wait to see if they have genuine interest in you before you commit to going all the way up there. I'm glad I did because it was a cool experience, but in hindsight it wasn't worth the $$ or time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
codytravers wrote:
Dood I would just wait for an invite to interview. I got dinged with a self initiated interview, and while I'm cool with it, you should wait to see if they have genuine interest in you before you commit to going all the way up there. I'm glad I did because it was a cool experience, but in hindsight it wasn't worth the $$ or time.

It's not the money, it's the logistics. I'm in the U.S. but not the east coast, and for some reason there aren't that many non-stop flights to boston logan. And then to make matters worse, due to the 3 hour distance to hanover and the dartmouth coach services, the logistics is nearly impossible to coordinate. I still want to apply there since it's a really good school, strong alumni network, and pretty decent finance recruiting. The conventional wisdom seems to be that for tuck/stern/yale, if you don't visit and/or do a self-initiated interview, your chances decline SIGNIFICANTLY.

EDIT: never mind, skype interview is by invite only.

Originally posted by Shawshank on 18 Dec 2012, 17:10.
Last edited by Shawshank on 18 Dec 2012, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Can't rent a car?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
codytravers wrote:
Can't rent a car?

I don't feel comfortable driving for a number of reasons. I wonder if it's worth applying now if i don't do a self-initiated interview. It would be interesting to know what % of invites get in, as opposed to those who did a self-invite.
Director
Director
Send PM
It sounds like you're trying to rush this trip - have you considered just biting the bullet and staying overnight?

Hanover is out of the way and isn't for everyone. That's why Tuck wants people to come to interview - they don't want applicants who view it as a peer school to Wharton/Columbia and simply apply based on reputation only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
It sounds like you're trying to rush this trip - have you considered just biting the bullet and staying overnight?

Hanover is out of the way and isn't for everyone. That's why Tuck wants people to come to interview - they don't want applicants who view it as a peer school to Wharton/Columbia and simply apply based on reputation only.

Yeah, I might not apply since my heart is just not in it. I mean if HBS or Wharton were in Hanover, NH, I will move heaven, earth, and the stars, to figure out a way to get there and do the interview. I agree that Tuck is very unique among the top 10 programs and is not for everyone. If I drop tuck, i might do stern, but from what i heard, stern also wants applicants who have visited since one of their essay questions asks about what steps you took to figure out if stern is the right fit for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Haha dude you need to get a grip.
Director
Director
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

Yeah, I might not apply since my heart is just not in it. I mean if HBS or Wharton were in Hanover, NH, I will move heaven, earth, and the stars, to figure out a way to get there and do the interview. I agree that Tuck is very unique among the top 10 programs and is not for everyone. If I drop tuck, i might do stern, but from what i heard, stern also wants applicants who have visited since one of their essay questions asks about what steps you took to figure out if stern is the right fit for you.

Well, at least NYC is much more accessible than Hanover.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Are Tuck students hosting coffee chats again during this winter break? Attended one last year, but haven't heard anything this year...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Excited to join Tuck! Do any current Tuckies or prospective students know more about the 'Summer Camps' with certain companies, in terms of the process, selectivity etc? Thank you in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
BrownBunny wrote:
Are Tuck students hosting coffee chats again during this winter break? Attended one last year, but haven't heard anything this year...

Yes - Events listed on the Tuck Website
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
are waitlisters allowed to send in updates like other schools?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
abou wrote:
are waitlisters allowed to send in updates like other schools?

Yes.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0L-UV1EduI[/youtube]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Shawshank wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

I would not compare HBS to Wharton....or do I think Wharton is way better than Tuck. I find it comical how people think 2-3 spot difference in rank means one school is substantially better than the other. There is a top 2 (HBS and Stanford) then another 8 schools that are all just as good as one another, but you should choose based on fit vs one being ranked 4th vs 7th.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts