Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Help! From a complete GMAT/MBA Newbie [#permalink]
Kudos
Couple of comments:

1) Schools tend to only count the amont of full-time experience you have, so I'm not sure if when you say you worked 11 years if you are including part-time work while in undergrad. If you worked full-time in undergrad, that would definitely be impressive.

2) Shoot for above a 700 the first time, so you don't have to take it so many times! Basically, if you're planning on throwing that kind of money down (it's $250/test) I would say that money is better spent on materials and tutoring to get the score you want!

3) Apply with a job. That means don't apply this spring, look for work now, and get ready to apply in a year.

4) I agree that you have a competitive profile, but focus on a new job and the GMAT first!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you guys for the replies!

So a friend of mine gave me an old Kaplan GMAT Prep CD with some CATs on it. I took one today and scored 510...I'm pretty sure this is a horrible score to start with, since I've read most only increase their score by a 150 or so. In my defense, I haven't touched a math book in 7 years since Calc 2 in College, so all the math questions seemed easy but I couldn't remember any rules. As for the Verbal section, I thought I did well...needless to say I did horrible.

So here is my plan:

I will utilize the MGMAT 5th edition books and do every single one to brush up on all the rules and principles of quant and verbal. I will then take another CAT. Based on my score then, I will attack my weaknesses by doing the work in the OG 12 and 13th books.

As for getting a job...I will be applying every day to different marketing jobs until I land one. I will only focus on working and studying for the GMAT. The GF will need to understand...hopefully lol

I'm just a little freaked that I got a 510 on the Kaplan test. Is it even possible for me to break 700+?

machichi wrote:
Couple of comments:

1) Schools tend to only count the amont of full-time experience you have, so I'm not sure if when you say you worked 11 years if you are including part-time work while in undergrad. If you worked full-time in undergrad, that would definitely be impressive.

2) Shoot for above a 700 the first time, so you don't have to take it so many times! Basically, if you're planning on throwing that kind of money down (it's $250/test) I would say that money is better spent on materials and tutoring to get the score you want!

3) Apply with a job. That means don't apply this spring, look for work now, and get ready to apply in a year.

4) I agree that you have a competitive profile, but focus on a new job and the GMAT first!

Machichi! Congrats on getting admitted to both Kellogg and Yale! That's awesome :-D What did you score on your first diag GMAT test? how many hours did you study total?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
xchakax wrote:
Thank you guys for the replies!

So a friend of mine gave me an old Kaplan GMAT Prep CD with some CATs on it. I took one today and scored 510...I'm pretty sure this is a horrible score to start with, since I've read most only increase their score by a 150 or so. In my defense, I haven't touched a math book in 7 years since Calc 2 in College, so all the math questions seemed easy but I couldn't remember any rules. As for the Verbal section, I thought I did well...needless to say I did horrible.

So here is my plan:

I will utilize the MGMAT 5th edition books and do every single one to brush up on all the rules and principles of quant and verbal. I will then take another CAT. Based on my score then, I will attack my weaknesses by doing the work in the OG 12 and 13th books.

As for getting a job...I will be applying every day to different marketing jobs until I land one. I will only focus on working and studying for the GMAT. The GF will need to understand...hopefully lol

I'm just a little freaked that I got a 510 on the Kaplan test. Is it even possible for me to break 700+?

machichi wrote:
Couple of comments:

Machichi! Congrats on getting admitted to both Kellogg and Yale! That's awesome :-D What did you score on your first diag GMAT test? how many hours did you study total?

I wouldn't worry about how well you did on your first diagnostic test. The GMAT is very learnable - where there is a will, there is a way. Just practice your butt off and tell yourself you won't accept any less than X (I'd suggest 720 if you're targeting top 15 programs).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
The Kaplan diagnostic for me was atrocious, so considering I got a 730 on my first try, I'm guessing it's not that useful. The only reliable predictor of GMAT performance is the actual GMAT prep software. It's been awhile since you've taken a test like this I imagine, so just focus on doing well not on whether it's possible. You can do it!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Also look into doing some marketing on a volunteer basis for a cause you are passionate about..ideally something that fits somewhat with the industry you want to exit into. It's going to be a great way for you to signal genuine interest in that career goal to future adcoms. You shift the conversation from "I want to pursue a career in XYZ" to "I want to pursue a career in XYZ due to involving myself in A, increasing B by C%." Experiences like this will be crucial in 12 months when you start working on your bschool resume and essays.
GMAT Club Bot