Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Denied without interview. This admission process has become a Rubik's cube for me. Admitted into Kellogg and got interview invites from Duke and Darden, schools that were supposed to be more tougher compared to Cornell for someone with my profile, no offence intended. Anyways
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
icecube6000 wrote:
Denied without interview. This admission process has become a Rubik's cube for me. Admitted into Kellogg and got interview invites from Duke and Darden, schools that were supposed to be more tougher compared to Cornell for someone with my profile, no offence intended. Anyways

None taken - I agree with you. Admit to Kellogg but not even an interview to Johnson? This could be the case of Johnson protecting its yield - if they got the vibe you're using them as a safety school and aren't likely to attend if admitted, they'll just cut bait.

This is why they ask in the app what other schools you applied to, and ask the question again in the interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Hmm. Got the issue with my online application fixed and I can see the result now.

Ding!

Disappointing, as I thought I had nailed the interview. Good luck to all the admits!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
icecube6000 wrote:

None taken - I agree with you. Admit to Kellogg but not even an interview to Johnson? This could be the case of Johnson protecting its yield - if they got the vibe you're using them as a safety school and aren't likely to attend if admitted, they'll just cut bait.

This is why they ask in the app what other schools you applied to, and ask the question again in the interview.

Cornell was by no means a safe school for me. Infact, it has more brand recognition in South Asia than Kellogg and Duke.

Anyways, congrats to you. I have been closely following your posts in various school forums, your picture really stands out :), and am really happy for you.

Posted from my mobile device

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
icecube6000 wrote:
Cornell was by no means a safe school for me. Infact, it has more brand recognition in South Asia than Kellogg and Duke.

Anyways, congrats to you. I have been closely following your posts in various school forums, your picture really stands out :), and am really happy for you.

Thanks! As someone who was dinged at Kellogg, I think it's quite an achievement to be admitted there. Is that where you'll be headed in the fall?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
icecube6000 wrote:

I wholeheartedly concur. Nothing about this process has made sense for me. But I did discuss with Duke's adcom that I treated these applications like med school and residency applications but found out business schools are often looking for completely different things. (And I of course found out about this forum before I sent a herd of apps out.) But the health care folks at Duke and UNC loved me, so who knows? UNC made me an incredible offer, so it will be near impossible to say no to them, but I will still pursue these schools that I am interested in and waitlisted at.

But yes, Johnson's process has been off this year because of the system updates. I have a feeling that they may have made some (for lack of a better term) 'mistakes' with their waitlist and dings due to the time constraints.

All that being said, an unfortunate amount of the process is due to luck. It all depends on if you are a perceived fit with whomever draws your application out of the proverbial hat. For med school, I was admitted to the University of Pennsylvania and was turned down by Indiana University. So don't sweat it. We'll end up where we need to end up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Anyone who received interview invite yesterday scheduled their interview yet? I tried to schedule mine yesterday. Got one reply asking me if i want to do skype next week or come to campus on Janurary 2nd. I told the i wanted the skype since i will be traveling in January. Never got the reply on that.

Does anyone know if skype is less preferred from the adcom points of view and hurts the applicant's chance of getting in?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: , International Business
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
austinacmes wrote:
Anyone who received interview invite yesterday scheduled their interview yet? I tried to schedule mine yesterday. Got one reply asking me if i want to do skype next week or come to campus on Janurary 2nd. I told the i wanted the skype since i will be traveling in January. Never got the reply on that.

Does anyone know if skype is less preferred from the adcom points of view and hurts the applicant's chance of getting in?

I got an invite yesterday and I scheduled to do interview tomorrow. I'm going up to Ithaca. but i dont think they have preferrence. It is such a short notice. I dont think they expect everyone to make a trip to ithaca. But personally, I've done skype interview in the past and I prefer in person interview. (although i could have my cheat sheet on the wall and look at it for reference when I did skype interview :p)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
I called to schedule. Doing it in Ithaca on fri. I'd think given the short notice, Skype is fine

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
austinacmes wrote:

Depends where you are. I attended MBA tour in NYC in July and Christine Sneva gave a great presentation which inspired me to apply. She really talked about how it was all about fit, and how Cornell tries to gauge the interest of its candidates. She specifically mentioned that if you are in NYC and Skype for your interview, that would be perceived as lack of interest if you didnt have a great reason. So, if you are fairly close and have a car and can get up there, do it. Otherwise, given the short notice, I dont think they are expecting you to fly in from TX or CA the day after New Years (although I think it would really show your commitment to the university that you willing to reschedule everything for them).

And I do agree, given the late notice, it makes it a lot more difficult for candidates to get there. Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Dinged, good luck to the rest of you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
A friendly troll here who has been monitoring the thread, mostly because of the unique way it appears R1 was handled. Big congrats to all those who were admitted and are still getting interview invites!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
General question- do you tell schools the status of your applications to other programs? I'm debating whether I think it would help vs. hurt me in the long run...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Guys, does anyone who conducted the interview in R1 still has the "submitted" status? If so, does it mean something positive? Shall we call the AO straight to find out? Btw, I am in the Asia pool. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
omnivorous wrote:
Guys, does anyone who conducted the interview in R1 still has the "submitted" status? If so, does it mean something positive? Shall we call the AO straight to find out? Btw, I am in the Asia pool. Thanks!

You need to contact the adcom. Another applicant had the same issue. All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
th03 wrote:
omnivorous wrote:

You need to contact the adcom. Another applicant had the same issue. All the best!

th03, thanks for the reply. I read the same thread too but I think I am going to give them another day to shake it up. I read the admissions blog, it seems the paper-less system is dragging the process this year. As a matter of fact, I did not hear lots of admit reports in Asia this year so I speculate there might be another wave before the holiday. Btw, I felt very positive of my interview, if this does not yield to an admit, I will seriously doubt my feelings. Best of luck to all who is still waiting!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
icecube6000 wrote:

Thanks! As someone who was dinged at Kellogg, I think it's quite an achievement to be admitted there. Is that where you'll be headed in the fall?

I am still waiting to hear from Duke and IESE. I really like both schools for different reasons, especially Duke. I will make the decision after Jan 08.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts