Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Re: MIT MFin (Class of 2014) [#permalink]
I was interviewed in person about 2 weeks ago. Anxiously waiting for the result...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If (When? :) ) you receive admit calls, please share here immediately after you stop jumping around, so that the rest of us know when the 2-3 day window the admit calls usually take place in started.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just as an update tho; I attended the online chat session the day before and asked whether they would call any applicants before holidays this time; the answers was "No we will not release any decisions before January 15th". Considering they have 2 rounds this time and not 3, maybe they really will not. Be prepared.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
To those of you who got interviews, what were your profiles like? Also, are any of you American? It seems the program is made up of mostly foreigners.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
commdiver wrote:
To those of you who got interviews, what were your profiles like? Also, are any of you American? It seems the program is made up of mostly foreigners.

Foreign GPA (so pretty much meaningless as a point of comparison)
750 GMAT (Q50 V40 AWA5 IR8)
8 years WE (non-finance but prestigious)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
With eight years of work experience, why not pursue an MBA instead? A 750 is good enough for the top US business school.

My GMAT is considerably lower than yours (700), so I doubt I will get an interview, but MIT waives the application fee for Americans, so I figured I would apply anyway. Good luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
commdiver wrote:
With eight years of work experience, why not pursue an MBA instead? A 750 is good enough for the top US business school.

My GMAT is considerably lower than yours (700), so I doubt I will get an interview, but MIT waives the application fee for Americans, so I figured I would apply anyway. Good luck to you!

Thanks, I was asked the same question in my interview actually, "why not an MBA with a Finance concentration?"; my answer is, MBA programs include courses like Marketing, Leadership, Communication (i.e. the non-mathematical part of Business curriculum) which bores me to tears.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GRE: V16x Q16x
2.5 WE (Finance)
GPA:3.5
FRM
TOEFL :11x
Intern
Intern
Send PM
khc280996 wrote:
2.5 WE (Finance)
FRM

And?

Did you apply? Got an interview? Got admitted?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
quixef wrote:
khc280996 wrote:
2.5 WE (Finance)
FRM

And?

Did you apply? Got an interview? Got admitted?

interviewed
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Last year, admit calls went out the day before the result date posted on the website.

MIT's MFin program is geared towards people who are 0-2 years out of undergrad, preferably already with a finance background or at least a demonstrated interest in finance (internships, job experience, etc). Adcom is very very good at selecting the right people who fit that program. Last year, people who interviewed were admitted or dinged; I don't believe they maintain a long waitlist...

Good luck everyone! It is a great program that will take you far in the finance world, if that's what you want to do.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
Last year, admit calls went out the day before the result date posted on the website.

MIT's MFin program is geared towards people who are 0-2 years out of undergrad, preferably already with a finance background or at least a demonstrated interest in finance (internships, job experience, etc). Adcom is very very good at selecting the right people who fit that program. Last year, people who interviewed were admitted or dinged; I don't believe they maintain a long waitlist...

Good luck everyone! It is a great program that will take you far in the finance world, if that's what you want to do.

Are you sure about the timing of the admit calls? An application tracker indicates that R1 admit calls happened on 19-20-21 December last year. If what you say is correct, they should happen on January 14th this year :(
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
quixef wrote:
aerien wrote:

Are you sure about the timing of the admit calls? An application tracker indicates that R1 admit calls happened on 19-20-21 December last year. If what you say is correct, they should happen on January 14th this year :(

I only remember multiple people posting about them the day before ... it's possible others got the admit call and didn't post about it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
quixef wrote:
aerien wrote:

I only remember multiple people posting about them the day before ... it's possible others got the admit call and didn't post about it!

Do you have a link to that thread? I cant seem to locate any threads about MIT MFin admissions from last year :( Thanks in advance.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
quixef wrote:
Do you have a link to that thread? I cant seem to locate any threads about MIT MFin admissions from last year :( Thanks in advance.

Sorry I don't! We cleaned out some older threads a few months ago so I guess it didn't make the cut :(
It was a pretty quiet thread...perhaps 5 or 6 people posting about it for R1 at least.

Generally speaking if you got an interview and you were able to articulate why finance, why MIT, why MFin & you already have some background in finance, you should be in a good spot. If you're trying to make a career switch into finance through MFin, it might not be the best degree for you -- an MBA is better for that career switch because you'll be able to test the waters with a summer internship.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quixef, let me know how it goes. I applied for round two, so I will hear back much later. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
commdiver wrote:
Quixef, let me know how it goes. I applied for round two, so I will hear back much later. Good luck.

Thanks, I don't have much hope but will surely update my status here.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts