Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
The portal works today, for me.

Myself as well! Seems it was a technical glitch that they worked out overnight.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So..current students..
1) Do you think Booth will let me attend Admitted Students weekend with the R2 folks? The R1 Admit Weekend is in busy season for me which means lots of hours and lots of Saturdays and no chance of getting off work. I know it's not required to go, but I would like to.
2) What are the most popular downtown apartment buildings among Boothies besides Millenium Park Plaza?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
c00guy wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. How do we get on to the admitted students website without formal acceptance?
Need help!

c00guy, you should have received an email from the admissions officer who called you with details on how to get on to the admitted students website. You do not need to accept the admission offer until you have made up your mind.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
So..current students..
1) Do you think Booth will let me attend Admitted Students weekend with the R2 folks? The R1 Admit Weekend is in busy season for me which means lots of hours and lots of Saturdays and no chance of getting off work. I know it's not required to go, but I would like to.
2) What are the most popular downtown apartment buildings among Boothies besides Millenium Park Plaza?

Thanks!

I went to the R2 Admitted Students weekend last year and met several people who had been accepted in R1 or deferred from the previous year. Shoot an email to the admissions officer who called you and let them know the situation. I am pretty sure that they want you to see the school regardless of when that happens.

The most popular downtown apartment buildings are:
Loop: Columbus Plaza, MDA, Park Millenium, Shoreham, Tides, Aqua
South Loop: 1130 S Michigan, 1212 S Michigan

A lot of people also rent condos. They often have better upkeep and are a bit cheaper.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [5]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
Woohoo -- I got rejected by Wharton. Looks like I don't have to make a tough decision. See you guys at Booth in the Fall! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
ak2012 wrote:
c00guy wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. How do we get on to the admitted students website without formal acceptance?
Need help!

c00guy, you should have received an email from the admissions officer who called you with details on how to get on to the admitted students website. You do not need to accept the admission offer until you have made up your mind.

Hmm, haven't received any email yet! Is there anyone else who's yet to get the email?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
So..current students..

Thanks!

I went to the R2 Admitted Students weekend last year and met several people who had been accepted in R1 or deferred from the previous year. Shoot an email to the admissions officer who called you and let them know the situation. I am pretty sure that they want you to see the school regardless of when that happens.

A lot of people also rent condos. They often have better upkeep and are a bit cheaper.

Hi Cheetah, I've got a question - my understanding is that most booth students (is the term boothies okay or do ppl not like it?) live in Loop...any comments as to the differences between living in Loop vs South Loop? South loops seems like it is further away from the city center so it is more quiet but also less accessible? Not sure what the difference in preference is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Tovin wrote:
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
MBAGoTime wrote:
Having the same issue - can log into the admitted students site, but not the portal. Any word on troubleshooting?

I also can't get into the Portal, specifically. Admitted Student Site works.

Well, sounds like we all have the same problem. That at least gives me a little comfort.

Are you guys talking about the Chicago Booth Portal? I think you can login on with your official Chicago id, the same that you use on the Admitted Student Portal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
So..current students..

Thanks!

Well isn't this convenient - it looks like this one company "Magellan Development" has a small monopoly on Booth housing.

https://www.magellandevelopment.com/chic ... -for-rent/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
BStand wrote:
Powerpoint optional!!! What?!?

I loved the Powerpoint. I'm sure there will be all kind of strategy this year around whether to go with PPT or a 600-word essay. I personally think the PPT showed the adcom that you were willing to take extra time/effort to apply to Booth since you couldn't just recycle another essay.

I definitely plan on doing the powerpoint presentation even though I know it will be very difficult. The essay prompt is all about pushing yourself and broadening perspectives. It seems almost like a trap giving you the option of writing an essay when what they really want is creativity and depth.

R2 applicant. Scratching my head as I weigh the benefits of powerpoint VS essay. So much that could go wrong with the ppt.. but as you mentioned, it shows more of an effort and the whole creativity thing. But then I have two other school deadlines clumped around Booth.. :shock:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
dwinters wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
So..current students..

Thanks!

Hi Cheetah, I've got a question - my understanding is that most booth students (is the term boothies okay or do ppl not like it?) live in Loop...any comments as to the differences between living in Loop vs South Loop? South loops seems like it is further away from the city center so it is more quiet but also less accessible? Not sure what the difference in preference is.

Boothies is quite alright. As for differences b/w Loop and South Loop I would say it depends on where you live in the South Loop. If you are north of 14th St then you are still pretty much downtown. SLoop doesn't start getting super residential until about 18th St. If you live between 9th and Roosevelt (which most Sloopers do) then you are very close to the metra, red line, green line, orange line, and bus stops. Everything you need is right there. There are restaurants, bars, a Trader Joe's, Jewel Osco, and Target all within walking distance.
I would say that the Sloop skews a bit more toward people with partners but there are lots of singles too. You're also not far from the Loop buildings or Gleacher (10-15 minute bus ride). In fact I live only 1.5 miles south of Gleacher and about 1 mile from MPP. People like the Sloop because you are still close enough to the Loop for it not to be a hassle to get there, but you're far enough away to also stay out of the dorm like atmosphere some buildings have. It's also a bit closer to Harper Center so the commute is a bit shorter.

The Loop is cool too and most people who live there do so because it is closest to the biggest % of other Boothies. From what I've seen people don't actually go out in the Loop past maybe 9p.m. Gold Coast, River North, Old Town, etc. are the neighborhoods we tend to go out in. In terms of grocery stores I know there is a Domenick's near Gleacher and a lot people shop at Mariano's. There is a metra station very close to MPP and a bus stop right in front. Most people in the Loop take the school bus train (i.e. the metra) up to Harper. I'd say that the Sloop has a couple of more options for getting to campus (metra, express bus).

If you come to admit weekend I suggest you do the housing tours. It's easier to see in person what the differences would be between the Loop and Sloop. You'll find plenty of students to ask about their experiences in each neighborhood.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
thanks for all the info - i regret i have but one kudos to give
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
booth, you heart-breaker!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
c00guy wrote:
ak2012 wrote:
c00guy wrote:
Need help!

Hmm, haven't received any email yet! Is there anyone else who's yet to get the email?

Should I email the Admissions Office yet as I haven't received the login/pw details? Just wondering if they forgot about me! :roll:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
c00guy wrote:
ak2012 wrote:
c00guy wrote:
Need help!

Same here!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So what'd everyone do on Tuesday night to celebrate?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Two things: 1) has anyone specifically set up their Booth email address, or does this automatically happen when you create your username? When do we start using this email/did anyone use it to sign up for admit weekend? 2) Did many ppl receive their packages in the mail? I haven't yet, but am excitedly waiting...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts