Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The Start of my Journey to an 800 GMAT [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:
All the best.
I am curious as to why do you need the 800?
From what I have seen and heard the 800 is pretty cursed dude.

Haha.. What is it that you have seen and heard??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Decided to take a stab at a Kaplan test that I got for free. Ended up scoring a 680. I guess I really need to hit the books.

IR: 7
Quant: 85%
Verbal: 89%

Really odd that my quant score is lower than my verbal, considering I'm an Electrical Engineering student. Reviewed my mistakes and a lot were really stupid errors. I'll chalk them up to being brain dead after my 6 exams.

Top 3 Topics:
Arithmetic (100%)
Properties of Sets (100%)
Number Properties (100%)

Bottom 3 Topics:
Algebra (40%) (Cant believe this, really bad mistakes)
Reading Comprehension (46%)
Sentence Correction (54%)

Not really sure how I seem to have a low hit rate on my verbal questions but still landed in a higher percentile. Biggest take away from this for me is, make sure I'm in the right state of mind when writing the exam.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Send PM
moneymango wrote:
Decided to take a stab at a Kaplan test that I got for free. Ended up scoring a 680. I guess I really need to hit the books.

IR: 7
Quant: 85%
Verbal: 89%

Really odd that my quant score is lower than my verbal, considering I'm an Electrical Engineering student. Reviewed my mistakes and a lot were really stupid errors. I'll chalk them up to being brain dead after my 6 exams.

Top 3 Topics:
Arithmetic (100%)
Properties of Sets (100%)
Number Properties (100%)

Bottom 3 Topics:
Algebra (40%) (Cant believe this, really bad mistakes)
Reading Comprehension (46%)
Sentence Correction (54%)

Not really sure how I seem to have a low hit rate on my verbal questions but still landed in a higher percentile. Biggest take away from this for me is, make sure I'm in the right state of mind when writing the exam.

More people tend to get a higher raw score on quants than on verbal. So even if the raw quant score is higher than the raw verbal score, there is a good chance that the quant percentile is lesser than the verbal percentile. Eg: For me, I got quant 49 which was the 83rd percentile whereas a verbal 42 got me into the 96th percentile..

Originally posted by MacFauz on 21 Dec 2012, 02:17.
Last edited by MacFauz on 21 Dec 2012, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
All the best.

Well stanford rejected a couple of 800ers a couple of years back.
Also, NonYankee, a really cool guy who scored a 800 got dinged at HBS and Kellogg.
Too bad for all of them, especially for Non yankee because from his posts he wasnt even aiming for an incredibly high score.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
All the best.

Also, NonYankee, a really cool guy who scored a 800 got dinged at HBS and Kellogg.
Too bad for all of them, especially for Non yankee because from his posts he wasnt even aiming for an incredibly high score.

Oh.... Then to top that off... Once you get to 800, it sticks to you for 5 years.. No way of getting rid of it...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
All the best.

Maybe some quant focused schools like Wharton, Booth would value his score more.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
800 is not frowned at. In fact its a very special thing to achieve.
It just puts more pressure to round off a perfect application. This can sometimes work against you. But if you are not getting into a school with 800 and your existing profile, you won't get an admit with a 700-750 (and that same profile). Anything above 780 raises an alarm for the adcoms. They want to ensure that they are not admitting a wizkid/nerd who doesn't have a real world exp. You cannot substitute everything with the GMAT.

P.S: Non yankee is pretty awesome. I'm sure he'll land up in a great place.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jumsumtak wrote:
800 is not frowned at. In fact its a very special thing to achieve.
It just puts more pressure to round off a perfect application. This can sometimes work against you. But if you are not getting into a school with 800 and your existing profile, you won't get an admit with a 700-750 (and that same profile). Anything above 780 raises an alarm for the adcoms. They want to ensure that they are not admitting a wizkid/nerd who doesn't have a real world exp. You cannot substitute everything with the GMAT.

P.S: Non yankee is pretty awesome. I'm sure he'll land up in a great place.

Yep I completely agree with NonYankee's awesomeness!
He has great stuffs lined up for him and I am very sure of that.
The dude is a GMAT natural!
I also think 800 is almost equal to 760 when it comes to what the adcom thinks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well maybe I will be the one to break the curse.

Anyways, decided to practice some Quant questions today. Downloaded this package that a user posted of 700+ quant questions https://gmatclub.com/forum/198-level-700-questions-from-gmat-prep-i-141117.html.

I finished 30 questions in 48 minutes, for an average rate of 1 minute and 36 seconds per question.

25/30 correct (83.33%). My incorrect answers were for problems 3,4,7,9 and 25. Question 3 seems incomplete to me, and I believe the answers for 4,7,9 and 25 are wrong. If anyone could take a look at the questions and confirm my suspicions that would be amazing. Also, these questions felt pretty easy for supposedly 700+ question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Just took a quick look and I think those answers are correct.

In addition, since they are taken directly from GMATPrep and created by the actual makers of the GMAT the answers are more likely than not correct. Try doing a quick google search using the first few words of the questions and you are likely to find a lengthy thread discussing them. If all else fails, post the question in the quant section of gmatclub and discuss there.

If you are looking for more difficult material, try Bunuel's signature problems.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HImba88 wrote:
Just took a quick look and I think those answers are correct.

In addition, since they are taken directly from GMATPrep and created by the actual makers of the GMAT the answers are more likely than not correct. Try doing a quick google search using the first few words of the questions and you are likely to find a lengthy thread discussing them. If all else fails, post the question in the quant section of gmatclub and discuss there.

If you are looking for more difficult material, try Bunuel's signature problems.

Ahh, the answers are correct, my mistake. I have looked over them again.

And can anyone explain question 3 to me? I have no idea what is going on there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
3 is a bit of an odd question. I can't say I've ever encountered a problem like it in GMAT prep or any real GMAT.

The plus sign in the top right corner indicates that any intersection of the table equals the sum of the column/row headings. For example, x= -3 since at the intersection of x and 4 is 1. Now that you know x, you can figure out the other letters eventually getting m=4 and n=1. m+n= 5

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Went to the book store today and bought Kaplan's GMAT Premier and The Princeton Review 1037 Practice Questions for the New GMAT.

Decided to take a crack at the diagnostic test provided in the Princeton book (I should really start actually studying...I think I have an addiction to test taking).

IR: 8/12 Finished in 23 min 30 sec
Quant: 35/37 Finished in 54 min
- One Data Sufficiency (Geometry question) , one problem solving (prime numbers) incorrect.
Verbal: 28/41 Finished in 33 min 20 sec (should have really taken more time on this, wasnt looking at the clock. Need to work on time management)
- Five sentence correction, 5 critical reasoning, 3 reading comprehension.

A lot better showing on the quant section here. I think endurance was key problem, when I got to the verbal I wanted to push through because I was getting tired.

Any suggestions on how to increase my endurance? Should I just keep working on the tests and it will come? Or will it never come?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tried to get some studying done over christmas, but didnt accomplish an awful lot. Did review some sentence correction material.

Attempted another CAT from Kaplan, this time scoring a 730.

Quant: 92%
Verbal: 92%
IR : 6

Interestingly enough, I got murdered by both sections in terms of correct answers (59% correct Quant, 56% correct Verbal). The last half of the quant section was ridiculous, answered 4 out of the last 14 correct.

I also did not know that a calculator was allowed in the IR section, that will make the section a fair amount easier.

Worst areas for this test were:
Number Properties (29%)
Proportions(50%)
Properties of Sets (63%)

Sentence Correction: Pronouns(0%), Comparisons (33%)
Critical Reasoning (43%)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well its been a bit of time since I've updated. I have been going back and forth between studying Quant, specifically geometry and combinations, and sentence correction. Recently I have taken two free tests offered by GMAT club, a 37 Quant question test and a 21 sentence correction test. Both tests the score was given as 98%/51, which doesnt seem entirely correct to me (wouldnt a 51 be 99%, since it is the highest score?).

Anyways, the Quant section I correctly answered 26/37 questions. The biggest problem I have for Quant is falling for little tricks, or making careless errors. This has always been a problem for me during my school exams. I noticed that for the questions where I made careless mistakes, I often completed the question in under 1 minute. I had 21 minutes remaining when I finished the last question, so I definitely need to work on time management.

The 21 sentence correction questions I completed 16/21 correctly. All the questions were labelled as 700 level, so I am fairly happy about that progress I have made with sentence correction.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
moneymango wrote:
Both tests the score was given as 98%/51, which doesnt seem entirely correct to me (wouldnt a 51 be 99%, since it is the highest score?).

nope.
A 99 percentile means 99% of the people who took the test were below your score. What happens if more than 1% of the people who took the test score the highest raw score (Q51) on quant?
to simplify, if 1000 people wrote the test, 25 of them scored a Q51 and you got a Q51 as well. Can you say 99% were below your score? (it would be 975/1000 * 100 or 97.5 percentile)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
moneymango wrote:
Both tests the score was given as 98%/51, which doesnt seem entirely correct to me (wouldnt a 51 be 99%, since it is the highest score?).

nope.
A 99 percentile means 99% of the people who took the test were below your score. What happens if more than 1% of the people who took the test score the highest raw score (Q51) on quant?
to simplify, if 1000 people wrote the test, 25 of them scored a Q51 and you got a Q51 as well. Can you say 99% were below your score? (it would be 975/1000 or 97.5 percentile)

Yes my mistake, I thought that a 51 score in both Quant and Verbal corresponded to a 99th percentile, but after rechecking the website I see that a 51 is actually 98th percentile for Quant
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts